How do you rate a juice?

So I was wondering… do you guys rate your own and others’ recipes and if so, how? I try to rate every recipe I make and I have a very simple but effective standard:

1/5: I dump the tank. I really can’t vape this juice.
2/5: I’ll finish the tank, but I won’t fill up again before doing some serious work on the recipe.
3/5 : Good enough vape, but will benefit from further development
4/5: Nice, enjoyable vape, but just not ADV material
5/5: I wouldn’t change a thing, I can vape this all day long, day after day.

If you don’t rate juices you try… why not?
I get the impression that less and less people rate a juice because it’s still the old ones on top and recipes are supposed to get better over time (with experience and adjustments to newer equipment).

9 Likes

Your scale looks good @anon28032772.

5 Likes

I know I slack sometimes, and I think I know why. If I try one, most times I adapt it, so rating my “own” recipes is easy, but I don’t always go back to the “adapted from” and rate that one, but I try to.

I think you’re right, or more newer mixes would start to creep up the ladder more.

6 Likes

I don’t publicly rate juices for a couple reasons, but mostly because I think recipe ratings are inherently flawed. I think the individual subjectivity of tastes and preferences sort of dilutes a rating system to the point of not really being useful. I know in my case I did make several of the “most popular/highest rated” recipes here (long before I was on the forum side even), because they had SO MANY 5 star ratings, but would not put a single one above a 3/5 per your descriptions. And so, in my opinion, it doesn’t feel fair to rate someone’s recipe with 1 star just because I don’t like it personally. And I suspect others do that too, so recipes then tend to rate higher because mostly those who like it rate it.

That is not a slight of any kind on those recipes. It’s simply my experience. I’m sure most of the high ratings are honest, but they won’t work for everyone. And of course there’s the age of the ones with the most ratings. They pop up first in most sort orders, and are tried more often than others, so they keep compiling more ratings and remain more relevant than others. So it makes me think, “Are these really spectacularly better than all these other recipes?” And then I think no.

But before you think I’m just a big scrooge, I’m not advocating for system change. I’m sure that would be a vast undertaking and probably not necessary. I’m just explaining why I don’t rate recipes because you did ask. But if a change could be suggested, I’d say maybe wipe the ratings slate clean every year. Record and make available historical statistics for annual rating popularity but set them all to zero annually. So age can’t dominate the ratings.

As for your personal rating system? Works for you, so, awesome. :+1:

10 Likes

Your rating system looks good to me too @anon28032772 :+1: About the only thing that is different for me is a 4/5 is a recipe I really like but just needs some tweaking to match my personal preference.

You have to comment on a recipe now to give a rating. Not sure when that changed but I don’t think it is a good idea, let people rate a recipe whether or not they comment like before. I like @anon70102222 suggestion to restart the ratings each year and maybe notify those who rated it before for a new rating if they so wish. There are a lot of recipes I might have rated 5 stars a long time ago that just don’t work with the current hardware we are using, I would drop those to a lower rating today.

I know a lot of people check all the flavors now since it is a newer site with more current recipes. ELR is still the best overall but the highest rated recipes are antiquated and should be dropped down a notch. Things change over time and ELR ratings should reflect that.

7 Likes

I totally get your point, but that’s why I’m in favor of a totally objective rating for all recipes, whether it’s your own, your friend’s or a total stranger’s one.
If people only rate recipes when they think it’s good, and then nearly automatically give it a 5 star, it kinda ruins the rating system for newbies who generally have no clue and basically only have the rating system to go by.

If I make a recipe that I like and you rate it a 1 star, I don’t take it personally, but I’d prefer you rate it badly than not.

It’s the same with restaurants or food recipes. Some people like them, others don’t. You can never know if you like a recipe just based on a rating. I’ve been to restaurants with Michelin stars and been a bit disappointed (not that it was bad, just not what I expected) and others with bad ratings where I had a great experience.
Besides the ratings, there’s of course also a comment section where you can say what you like or not, which helps others as well deciding if it’s a recipe for them or not.

That’s kind of the reason why I raised the topic. I get the feeling that people only rate these days if they mix something and they’re amazed that their first mix is vapable (5 star!!!) or if it’s from a friend who needs support or something…

If you mix something and you don’t like it, fine, give it a rating and even better if you explain your rating in the comments. If a recipe creator spends time making it and publishing it, how much effort does it take to leave an opinion… and it does help others, whether your opinion is subjective or not.

6 Likes

I understand your viewpoint as well. I haven’t mixed a community recipe verbatim in ages though, to be honest. If I do, I’ll re-think my approach.

7 Likes

By the way, with the way things are going… I think we’d be left without any ratings whatsoever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Seriously, people (in general) should give their honest opinion a bit more and not be afraid that they’re going to hurt someone’s feelings or that it reflects bad on them. Taste IS subjective, we all know that and not all recipes or even flavors are for everyone. You’ll get a balanced view eventually the more people rate.

7 Likes

It has been a while since I mixed a recipe verbatim here as well. If I make the recipe but am missing ingredients it doesn’t seem right to rate it if I don’t like it. Sometimes the result comes out great though with my changes, then I will comment on what changes I made and rate the recipe.

6 Likes

I don’t necessarily think so, if current ratings are still kept. The ‘top’ ones are far and away more rated than the rest.

5 Likes

I have to agree with this, it doesn’t encourage people to rate and it’s a flawed system too. You can just put a single character as a comment and then remove your comment too… what’s the point.
But I do think people should be persuaded to leave a comment. Ratings are 1 thing, but a comment often says so much more for people interested in mixing a recipe too.

5 Likes

I really don’t understand why someone would take the time to rate, but not comment. I suppose a star system is enough for some to feel their point is made. Maybe you can rate 5 stars without comment, but would have to explain a lower star rating with a comment. I don’t need to see 1000 comments of “Awesome!” and “Great juice!” but would be interested in why someone didn’t like it…

7 Likes

Comments are often even more valuable than a rating, but sadly we can’t sort recipes by comments (or amount of adaptations, assuming people who adapt also try it).
Anyways, I’m the same way. You can’t properly rate a juice if you haven’t made it. Sometimes you see comments like “Woah 5 star recipe! I’m ordering the flavors now so I can make this!!!” That’s totally useless too.

7 Likes

Maybe not everybody speaks proper english? Or some people are very unimaginative or don’t know how to express their thoughts? I dunno… not everybody’s the same way.
I get that some people are fine leaving a rating but no comment. However, especially if it’s a negative comment, it’s always nice to know why a person rated it that way.

5 Likes

I agree with you both, comments are valuable. I use to check the comments to see if someone made a successful swap of a flavor I didn’t have. Sometimes a flavor that isn’t agreeing with me is having the same effect on someone else in the comments and they offer an alternative flavor or % that worked for them. Some people might get butthurt as the recipe is perfect for them. I think just as long as you explain that it was tweaked for your preference then it should be fine. Some people won’t see it that way unfortunately, they may take it that your being arrogant.

5 Likes

As long as it happens in a respectful way with a little explanation why, I don’t see the problem. It can only help others.
But if you make substitutionsand you don’t like it, don’t blame the creator or give it a bad rating :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To me it’s still that whole ‘subjectivity’ thing. I’ll just assume that the author is satisfied with it. With that being the case, why would we even subject recipes to ratings at all? Have only comments with no actual ratings at all. I don’t mean this to avoid hurt feelings and offense taken, I just mean who am I to say your recipe sucks (even if I give reasons) when you really like it? It’s like herding cats. Tough to get quantitative data based on ratings alone due to the myriad reasons why a rating is given.

7 Likes

I get your point of view but since the internet age, we’re kind of living in a world of ratings :slight_smile:
Whether you look for a recipe for a spaghetti bolognese, a new smart watch, an app, … it’s all based on ratings and in most cases you will find people that give their opinion so that others have something halfway decent to gauge what they’re getting into.
Experts with good knowledge in their field won’t need those ratings because mostly they can just see from the specs what to expect. But even then, they can sometimes be surprised.

Actually, I think I’d be in favor of a nagging system on ELR that will bug you for a rating, maybe a month or so after you’ve made an adaptation of someone else’s recipe. Nothing compulsory, just a friendly question if you want to reward the creator with a rating or a comment if you liked or disliked a recipe. Constructive criticism can always be valuable too and maybe give the creator an idea he or she hasn’t thought about previously.

6 Likes

I give that post 4 out of 5 stars.

8 Likes

I use to rate my own bc I thought at one time you had to rate it to comment or something like that…I found out that wasnt the case so i dont rate my own…Typically if it made public its a near complete recipe that other people and myself enjoy…

I don’t usually mix other people’s recipes anymore , but the ones I have I think ive rated it …I at least have commented

6 Likes