How flavors can turn real bad after a few months

I like making a lot of flavors, nearing 75 recipes, if you count the 5 or 6 hidden ones that are not yet ready and need more work.

But this means that I have bottles of flavors I have ignored in months, and it seems that they have turned to the dark side…

I have a Root Beer that after being left alone for several months, it has a very bad aftertaste now like Sulfur.

And my Mr. Goodvape Bahama Mama clone is more like Bahama Grand Mama… she’s kinda old…

I’m sure some of you out there have some experiences this as well. Any weird old flavors is your collection?

1 Like

They all get funny after 9 months so I dump them. About the six month mark, they start to turn in the direction of being not great.

1 Like

I keep my mixes pretty fresh. I think my oldest ones are December. Maybe 1-2 Novembers that I will vape by the next week. The rest are 2-4 weeks old. Oh how they grow up so fast.

2 Likes

What does this say for recipes that require at least a month of steeping? I’ve got some kustards that continue to improve out to 6 months or more, as I’m sure many will attest. I’d ask where/how you guys are storing flavor concentrates and mixed juice? Personally, I have my carry bottles in a herd on my desk, 20 or so bottles. I keep my mixed batch bottles in a cool dark place, right next to my concentrates. They are never in the light, and I’ll admit that I have concentrates that are upwards of 2 years old in some cases and are pretty much exactly as I got them. YMMV, and I doubt all concentrates are created equal, but having stuff spoil that quickly seems out of line with my experience.

2 Likes

ya i agree with you on this one i do store mine in a mini fridge i control the temp all year by doing that and it seems to have worked well for me

3 Likes

It may be on a case by case basis. One disaster I had was with mixing two brands of retail juice. They’d be great half and half mixed directly into the tank but when I got down to a half bottle of each I just mixed the bottles. Three weeks later it was shoe polish.

1 Like

They last longer for sure. I dont have room!

before i used a fridge , i kept my flaves in a hall closet and after one summer i found some flaves that went bad , so yes your right case by case for sure im pretty aware of how things taste and smell so typically on a older flave ill smell and taste it just to see but that probably isnt always right either lol

1 Like

I might eventually develop a few recipes that I’ll be keeping in the fridge. Right now I’m still making smaller amounts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i keep only my concentrates

Oh, that makes sense too. At the rate I vape a lot of my creamy experiments, I should probably keep the concentrates in the fridge starting…NOW! :open_mouth: I have plenty of small shipping boxes to keep them organized tucked away in the crisper.

1 Like

its a mess right now i get the little baskets at dollar store

Umm … Where do you keep your food? :joy:

1 Like

thats is my food lol , its actually a fridge for wine

3 Likes

Oh that’s awesome! I only have one fridge though in a very small apartment. I don’t have enough flavors to account for a whole separate fridge.

1 Like

ya and it never that light i had to open blinds to take pic lol

1 Like