How long should a steeped bottle of juice breath

I’m trying to determine after a juice has completed it’s steeping time should I let it breath is it a few hours,:confused a few days? Any suggestions anyone?

I never (or almost never) breathe my mixes. If so, it’s just for a couple of hours right after mixing.

4 Likes

2nd this opinion only the first few hours does a mix get some cap off time and it’s really the flavors that contain ethyl alcohol. Otherwise no real necessary reason to do so, some even say this allows for some smaller molecules flavor notes to dissipate.

More than most of my mixes get enough air time once they’re spun on my magnetic mixer then the caps off just to cool then closed for the remainder.

EDIT: I will say if it’s a harsher flavor like a citrus I’ll give it a good 2-4 hours especially if it’s received no heat. This goes for Strawberry as well as a lot of them still do contain some alcohol.

I didn’t necessarily mean this for you @anon60225325 I was agreeing w/ you and then should of reply to the OP oopsies.

4 Likes

Yeah, I got it :blush:

1 Like

Same as Underanne and Amy - couple of hours after mixing is the only breathing time I give mine :slight_smile:

I leave mine overnight as I use a lot of fruits. I’ve found the majority of my mixes only benefit a little from steeping but breathing over night really improves the flavours. I think probably a few hours would be enough though. Tfa raspberry is definitely better after a good breathe.

I leave mine overnight, then lock them in a peli case for a month :ok_hand:
Its taken 18 months to realize that that’s all I need to do lol

2 Likes

I let them sit overnight with the cap very loose after mild heating and shaking. Most of the chemical reaction of what is going to gas off is gone by morning. You can kind of see it in the color and viscosity of the liquid it has settled down by then. The nicotine will kill the germs. I use vodka in my liquid so I want that alcohol to gas off as well.

90% of the time, I just mix and let age, capped, in my cabinet. Now and then, I’ll mix with an alcohol based flavoring that is particularly strong and I’ll let that one breathe overnight, then cap and age.

I’ve just found the KISS method to work for me well over the years. :100:

3 Likes

What is KISS methode please ?!

1 Like

It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. It’s a phrase used here.

4 Likes

I almost never let my bottles breathe. A couple hours after mixing, I usually open the bottle, blow so that the alcohol fumes disappear before giving it a smell test. Then I put it away for steeping and after a couple weeks (or suggested steep time), open again and if there are more alcohol fumes I’ll blow them away.
I haven’t worked with any juices that keep smelling of alcohol after that so I don’t see the need for extra breathing. I work mostly with fruity flavors and those are volatile, you’ll lose flavor the more breathing you do.
That being said, I just think the only way to know for sure what you like best or what has the best effects, is to try it out. I’m sure there are some juices that would benefit from breathing, others not so much. Different people have different methods. The same goes for steeping, some use a plain cupboard, others magnetic stirring or crockpots, … and I can’t say there’s any 1 right way. Just check and do what gives you the best results.

5 Likes