How often do you rewick you RTA/RDTA/RDA?

Hey all,

Just wondering how often do you guys rewick your tank?
For me, I find that I have to do it every 2-3 days depending on use but anywhere after 3 days, the flavor is just off.

I’m just wondering if this is common because I only recently started using an RTA after using sub ohms for so long. Just feel like I need to rewick every other day to get the best out of the juice I’m using.

Please share your experience and advices.

Also, looking to buy some more Japanese organic cotton, if anyone has any suggestion on some affordable cotton please feel free to share.

Thanks.

10 Likes

Once a week I think is pretty standard. I sometimes tend to go a bit longer because I have a lot of mods in rotation. Nothing wrong with every 3 days though. Cotton is pretty cheap and lasts a long time.
I use Muji cotton.

9 Likes

I’ve been vaping a lot of mixes with fw salted caramel so I’ve literally had to change it after 24 hours on several occasions recently… But my husband usually needs new wicks about once per week. He vapes 100% fruit flavors. So 2-3 days is definitely not outside the range of normal.

10 Likes

I rewick both, once a week and change the coils in each once a month.

6 Likes

Like Vapey says, it all depends on what kind of flavours you’re using.
When you vape a little longer you will get to know the juices that dirty up your coils the most.

8 Likes

I vape alot of chocolate. I usually rewick every 2 days and recoil every week.
On this note, have any other “choco-vapers” had your coils “glaze over” while running in temp mode? Only happened to me once. Awesome flavor one evening then almost nothing at all in the morning with the exact same setup/juice/tank. Dissasembled to see what was up and the coils appeared shiny and glazed. Watt mode seemed to work better and got most of the flavor back eventually. Just weird or me (I’m weird anyway)

5 Likes

Yeah. I guess juices I use have a lot of sweeteners.
Just not used to having the rewick so often coming from stock coils. It makes sense, I don’t mind rewicking that much. Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

I change one a week…about afte 90-120mls depending on the juice.

Coils are cleaned at the time of reworking and go for 2-3 cleanings. You they are simple round wire ss316l wire. Clapton’s 1 time use…since I never get them clean enough to make me happy.

8 Likes

Chocolate vapes i find 50 mls is the sweet spot other than that i just change as required - if it doesn’t taste as it should i rewick - generally about 4-5 day mark

4 Likes

I get 3-4 weeks out of a wick, but I use rayon. No off taste and harder to gunk.and it’s cheap! 40 feet for $12.00.

5 Likes

I’ve been building for about 2.5 years now, and I’m still using the same bag of Labo Puffs that I bought off of Amazon about two weeks into my diving head-first into wrapping coils(I’d been using some generic cotton pads that came with the wire I’d ordered from Prime) There’s about a quarter of the bag left, so at my current rate, I should be good to go for at LEAST another six months! I keep 2-3 atty’s going at all times, so I only rebuild when things start to taste funky. Since 99% of my builds are simple 26 gauge 316L SS coils, I wrap and wick at the same time, which is about once a week per atty(RTA or RDTA) I don’t bother with dry-burning/cleaning my coils, as I find I get muted flavors from cleaned coils.

6 Likes

Very interesting take. I like to clean my coils every time I need to rewick.
Dry burn and rinse. I find that it gives me better flavor after rewicking.
Those gunked up stuff, I don’t like.

5 Likes

Interesting. That is a very long time. I’ll look into that.
Is it any different in the way you wick as opposed to regular cotton?

3 Likes

Yes you wick tighter, and some people thin the tails.

5 Likes

I have a few tanks and rewick them when they start tasting bad I keep different flavors in them and rotate. I use 0.50% CAP Super Sweet or 1.00% TFA Sweetener on average for almost everything I mix. Usually once a week. I tend to chain vape at times and that doesn’t help. Some flavors do gunk faster, but one universal rule is the more sweetener the faster it will gunk. A lot of store bought juices are packed with it. When I started vaping and used pre made coils and bought juice. I would burn through coils fast.

5 Likes

I just got some rayon any wicking recommendations for an RDA or Griffin 25 Plus RTDA? use more or less than cotton etc

3 Likes

Not specific to the Griffin but more to rayon in general use more, cotton swells when it is juiced up rayon doesn’t in fact it may even shrink a little.

3 Likes

I rewick after 8 to 12 mils and dry burn. I once I get a coil I like, I leave it until it burns out or gets too gunky to dry burn. My cotton came from amazon and the package has lasted a couple of years.

I have tryed rayon, but the little fibers stick to my fingers and I thought it was a pain to work with. Although, people seem to like it.

4 Likes

Is it the Puff’s? I’ve heard it’s good and competes well with the more expensive stuff.

3 Likes

Having said that i change when needed it totally depends on the wicking material - i use rayon for the most part but - i have recently being playing with hemp kindly supplied by @therabidweasel and have a squonker set up (deadrabbit) that i have put close to 500ml through with no wick change - and just one clean.

before the usc

after the usc

I will have to yank the wick and dry burn them but i will use the same wick again

10 Likes