How to get the best flavor

@VapeyMama

Well, it’s an RTA, but wacko Rip kinda likes it…and Mikey likes it…
and I use two every day, and own a bunch of vapocalypse back-ups.

4 Likes

I think @JoJo should put that next to my name lmaooo

Love it :ok_hand:

6 Likes

It was mentioned already to twist wire. IMO twisted 28 is about equal to regular 24g coil. A 26/32(or 30) Clapton coil will put out much more flavor but to run dual you will need more than the 40 watts. I run mine at around 55-60 watts. You might be able to fit a single Clapton in tfv4 but it’d be tighter airflow probably. Needs to be smaller ID for that 2 or 2.5 tops
I would also try parallel builds, maybe you’d enjoy 28g parallel (maybe 8 wraps? Just guessing off top of my head here, check steam-engine.org to be sure tho) it’d fire quick, well within range of your 40w limit, and being two wires should perform a little better still in tfv4

1 Like

I vape RDA’s only but fill or drip may or may not work. The Origen V2 wicks sit in holes on either side of the coil which dangle in the tank. This arrangement might support dripping, perhaps awkwardly, and might not be ideal. Suppose dripping would depend on the RDTA. RDA’s and RDTA’s (I have read) both can have great flavor.

1 Like

O giver of Gifs

@JoJo

Pugs1970 O giver of Gifs

4 Likes

Just put a clapton coil in. First clapton ever! Came out at .7 ohms, vaping at 40 watts, and I’ve never chucked clouds like this!! (I know I know, minor league compared to all you big boys and girls out there, but I’m still stoked!) Flavor is definitely better than with a plain old single wire. I can feel myself being sucked deeper into the rabbit hole… Time to up my power capability and get something with a bigger deck. Gosh darnit this is fun! :wind_blowing_face:

12 Likes

to add to all above, in my experience with coils, smaller coil ID = more flavor - bigger coil ID, more clouds.
i remember the days of the first few subtank mini and its RBA deck, the best flavor i got was when i built a twisted 1.8mm ID coil, had to wick it both inside and on top otherwise it gets too hot and dry hits (there’s a YT video from RIP Trippers that shows this)

that remained true as i went into more fancy tanks … i still stay below 2.5mm ID for flavor even with a large deck like the Supreme and Griffin 25 - when i use larger coils or more fancy builds i only get a cloudy room - not too much flavor gain.

coil building is like another ride in another rabbit hole (beside DIY :))

8 Likes

as someone that’s new building coils that’s very good to know

All I can say is…yay!!!

1 Like

Bout time young lady :wink: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hmm…I hadn’t heard that take on it before. I run 2.5mm in my RTAs, 3mm in my RDAs. Sounds like a good excuse to build some more coils and try it out!

I too am going to have to play with the id more. Thank you for the tip. I do like my builds around 2.5 or 3.0 depending on coil build, But have not deviated from that. Looks like I’m going to have some fun playing in the morning. Building coils is like meditation/therapy. Ahhh good times. Wait even better, a new DIY honeysuckle mix on some new coils with different id sizes. Therapy…

1 Like

I have a newbie question regarding clapton coils if that’s okay. I just bought what I thought was a roll of SS clapton wire. Turns out it’s SS 26awg core + K 32awg. Could I run this in TC mode?.

Nope. :pensive:

You sure can! The problem is, it won’t be very accurate. To use it in TC mode, you should reconfigure your TFR value (the number that tells your mod how much your ohms increase at what temperature) using the Wonderful Wire Wizard TM (:wink:). There you can input your whole coil setup including differing core and wrapping material. It’ll give you a TFR value to input into your DNA200 or manually with some other mods (never done that, sorry! But I heard it’s possible).
In case you don’t have the option of adjusting that value, I’d recommend running it in VW - nothing wrong with that! Never got around to making 316L work for me in TC, but that’s a different story… :sweat:

3 Likes

I’ve used wire wizard quite a few times and I never noticed the function on there for clapton coils (probably because I never had the need for it before lol). That took all of 10 seconds to find out the TCR value I will need. Just gotta wait for the wire to arrive now. Cheers Naseschwarz :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Really?! I didn’t realize you could!

1 Like

i am one person to disagree that rta or rda have a better flavor hit than say a clieto with their .4 ohm coils or crown or even the tfv4 tfv8 i do agree it is cost effective i have a velocity V2 for my drip and the theorim for rta they both serve a purpose but ill buy a couple more clieto and the clieto 120 before anothet rda or rta purchase , but congrats on the build i still buy the premade coils and since buying some from @mikelej14 ill be good for a minute

2 Likes

a vaping buddy and i did an interesting test yesterday. he had a fresh Clieto coil in his (cleaned) tank, and i had a crius with freshly wrapped & wicked dual SS clapton 2.3mm - 28 core and 34 wrapping - we filled both tanks with the same juice. it’s a DIY mango / Cantaloupe /Dragon Fruit + a hint of bavarian cream and orange (1% just to pop the flavors)

the flavor profile from both was totally different. in the clieto, you get a big worm to hot cloud and the flavor note was more the orange & cantaloupe on the cream. in the crius with the “small” SS claptons, you get the sweet mango notes, the creaminess of the DF and cantaloupe as the backdrop.

we kept changing mods (and drip tips :)) - and comparing flavors over and over… it was just crazy how different the flavor profiles were between the 2 set-ups… gets me to stick more to my smaller SS claptons.

BTW, the smaller ID = better flavor possibly fails in RDAs - i have a velocity - and in the velocity and other RDAs, you need your coil to “cover” the airflow - if you put in baby coils compared to airflow hole size, you lose flavor and it’s too much air to vaporized juice ratio (unless you close the air flow a lot).

3 Likes

Hey FlavorSeeker? Did you post that recipe? I am trying to make a Mango Creme and it seems like you may have what I need to start. I would REALLY appreciate it!