How to Guide for Muting/Ignoring Members

I was just going to ask the same thing. You’re welcome @David5362. Obviously no one is being FORCED to do this, and it’s COMPLETELY voluntary, and is NOT permanent.

1 Like

It was suppose to be a joke , like I was asking him who he muted to see if I was one of them not to encourage …

1 Like

Don’t worry @fidalgo_vapes, I muted you twice !!!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ignore a lot of threads without muting any of em. Every now and then I have a look and see that there are another 100.000 new replies :scream:

I will skim through them (when I feel like it), have a laugh or SMH and move on.
Occasionally I might even say something, but I’m not really in the argument business.

I have little desire to win over people to my point of view, especially when I think about views I’ve had in the past and how wrong I often was and most likely will be again. :grin:

The muting option is a feature of the website, it is up to every individual member to use it or not.
I prefer not to, because I like to see what everybody has to say, even the trolls.
I just don’t feed them.

I understand not everybody is able to shrug off idiotic comments, so for those I suppose the mute option is a relief :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I appreciate your perspective on this @Josephine_van_Rijn, I respectfully differ on this. I don’t know if “shrugging off” is what’s required. Maybe yes, maybe not. I think that there is a very small minority of posters/posts that are routinely dropped with the intent to disrupt, stir emotion, and elicit reactionary posts. I’ve witnessed this time, and time again, and it’s been increasing lately. To me, it’s just sad. I myself have been drawn into debates, only to have endless, mindless, pointless responses, which only proved to waste my time, and anyone else’s time who got trapped in the thread/s.

I’ve been PM’d by more than a few asking why this is occuring, why some people continue to allow themselves to get sucked into these time sucking black hole threads, and, how to mute certain members. That is why I decided to make a clear post on how to do that.

I don’t think we need to toughen up our ELR base, but I think there is indeed a growing majority, who have just grown tired of it. Sure, we can ALL just skip, skip, skip past these droning posts, but in some ways, with ALL that’s going on right now, who wants to even deal with the drama/BS ??

A growing majority, do not want to. Suom’s post is strangely odd, and perhaps telling, at least to some people here.

I am still waiting for an explanation how muting individual posters who we (up the the individual user) is going to affect the whole forum. I think it will IMPROVE our ELR time. I don’t have to name names here, everyone who frequents ELR knows who’s posting what.

Saddly @fidalgo_vapes just announced he was pulling out of ELR (at least for the time) because of the recent trend, that THIS thread, DIRECTLY relates to. I know why fiddy pulled out, but how about all the other people who didn’t post a “goodbye” post ?

I’m only offering my opinion here @Josephine_van_Rijn, and I do agree, that simply just skip, skyp, skipping can work, but if you’ve got 1 or 2 troublemakers in the bunch, isn’t it just as easy to mute/ignore, and continue on with your day ?

I appreciate your perspective, and taking the time to reply.

We all should have better things to do right ?? Getting ready for the upcoming zombie apocalypse and all that stuff …

5 Likes

I chose to ignore this topic because I’m not a proponent of muting. Free speech and all that … but I’m being called back and see that this thread is even becoming weaponized. There’s a place for that in the saloon. :frowning_face:
Anyways, I’m sure you have enough brain power to figure that one out yourself. Over and out.

2 Likes

I know that my dear, I’m able to shrug but not everyone is, that’s why I’m not opposed to this at all.
We have no argument here :hugs:
I’m all for freedom of speech, but also for freedom to not having to listen to that speech.
In other words, the freedom to mute.

3 Likes

@anon28032772, reallly ?? Overreaction ??

I thought you had it on ignore ? You’re against it, I’m for it, everyone gets that. You come in, drop your hot bombs, then you storm off, until you return again.

Please DO explain how myself, or anyone else, who mutes a member is affecting the whole forum ?

How exactly is this being weaponized ??

1 Like

Well maybe I should sign up for JVR’s Shruggling classes !!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fair enough …

2 Likes

Nah, it was an exhausting class, just use the mute :grin:

3 Likes

There are many threads that contain only one post. This would have been a good candidate! :wink:

3 Likes

But, how is @SmilingOgre gonna eat if we do not feed him? Sad, sad day for him.

4 Likes

He’s an Ogre, not a Troll. He will eat you for this :yum:

3 Likes

Too spindly, and full of crap.

3 Likes

Somebody really should alert Ben Carson about this pressing issue surrounding new Office Furniture.
:thinking:

1 Like