How to rid alcohol off from my flavor concentrates

Hi All / Seniors :stuck_out_tongue:
I wanted to work out a way to get rid of alcohol from my flavor concentrates.
What’s the best way to do that?

2 Likes

Steep while once in a while opening for the cap to let out fumes will make you get rid of it. You can also heat treat it to make it evaporate, but not recommended since it can affect the flavors over time.

5 Likes

The best way I know, is to shake shake shake your mix up good. Let it settle, than you can take the cap off for a bit, and let it breath. Hopefully you can vent the alcohol before you waste off too much of your flavor compounds.

8 Likes

Are you trying to get rid of all the alcohol because of religious reasons? If so, I would recommend buying concentrates without any in it. Not all concentrates have alcohol in them, but it requires a little research and perhaps contacting the vendors directly if you cannot find the necessary information. Even if you let your liquids air out, you cannot be sure that all alcohol has disappeared.

If it is to get rid of the harshness from the concentrates, simple steep will work, i.e. closing your bottles after a good shake, putting them away in a cool and dark place for a week or 2 (or more if needed). I do not recommend breathing your juices because a lot of concentrates have very volatile flavor molecules and will disappear if you breathe your liquids.

Update: I just read your post in the other thread and saw my assumption was right. So yeah, try to avoid concentrates with alcohol in it. Breathing juices will not remove all alcohol, neither will heat treatment. Did you know that a flambee crepe still has about 75% of the original alcohol content in it? Even dishes cooked with alcohol keep a large portion of the alcohol content. Avoiding it completely is the only solution.

7 Likes

There is “easy” ways. Some brands from what i know of does not have any alcohol at all, as an example FlavourArt.

5 Likes

Thanks alot guys.
Thanks alot !!!

5 Likes

WOW !!!
Way to go :smiley:

5 Likes

:smiley: Thanks mate

5 Likes

https://www.flavourart.co.uk/faqs.html

look under “Do the concentrates contain…?”…

So there is at least one popular brand where you wont have to dig too deep to check if they contain alcohol.

5 Likes

Excellent :blush:

3 Likes

I do it by letting it breath

5 Likes

keeping your cap off not only releases the gases that help your flavor to mature, but there goes the flavor molecules… and without keeping the cap on to let the maturation happen, you will never be able to fully taste how the flavors are supposed to be, from the manufacture… the gas you assume is the alcohols is actually a helper. After 2-3 weeks there is zero trace of alcohols… but each to their own.

I pay too much for my flavors to just free them like free willie…

7 Likes

Correct, there was a lab guy who worked as a mixer and a owner of a international juice brand on a talk show and he said that alcohol will steep out on it’s own, so taking the cap off is not neccesary.

5 Likes

Yeps… told ya so… :partying_face:

Serious tho Joel… I have lab experience too…
However, some shouldn’t be mixing at all with alcohol flavoring, since it will go against what they believe in. Not sure what religion that is, but they should know before working with any flavor… always do research…

5 Likes

Im so glad you posted this … Recently I was watching a shoe on YT and breathing liquids came up , I said no so the host asked a guy who you actually know and he said yes to breathing a mix … I learned awhile ago about the molecules that escaor so breathing has been a no for me for awhile

6 Likes

Hmm. so what are 100% pg based one shot concentrates? Just like on this site?

Does this mean that this is not using alcohol as a carrier?

3 Likes

Any other brands? :innocent:

3 Likes

Me??

Can you get a hold of the mds sheets? that will tell you 90% of the time if there is an alcohol carrier…

Also, as it is a blended flavoring to make a “shot” you’d need the mds sheets to those flavors too.
Even in 100% pg, flavors can contain even tiny amounts. It is how flavors are created… some are proprietary and might not be able to divulge, depending on manufacture, location and how transparent the company is.

3 Likes

PG is a liquid that is used as a flavor carrier, (ethyl) alcohol as well, some use both or even other flavor carriers.
You should check the MSDS papers (material safety data sheet) to see what the ingredients are, although not all manufacturers provide such info.
If in doubt, contact the supplier and ask them and maybe suggest they make the info a bit more readily available. As far as I know, only TPA is very transparent with this type of info, you’ll have to put in some or a lot of effort with other brands. You can see there have been a few threads over the last years with people putting in some effort to create a thread with this information but it’s far from complete.

4 Likes