How to use 50/50 VG/PG Dilutant with the Recipe Calculator?

I have two 500ml bottles, 100% VG and 50/50 VG/PG, and I am after some advice on the easiest way to calculate a 70/30 VG/PG.

All the calculators I’ve seen so far obviously do take into account the PG in the Flavorings and Nic Base, but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way for me to calculate how to combine the two base dilutants to make my desired 70/30 VG/PG mix, when not using pure VG and pure PG.

People have suggested adding multiple bases on calcs that allow it, but when you enter 0% Nic for a 50/50 PG/VG base it just ignores it in the calculations.

If anyone can recommend a work around, or a different Calc more suited to my needs I’d love to hear it too.

3 Likes

60% of the 50/50 pg vg, plus 40% of the vg will get you to 30/70 pg vg

2 Likes

Yeah that works fine if I’m not adding anything else.
The problem comes when I’m trying to follow a recipe with my 100% PG Nic Base and PG Flavorings.
The amount of PG and VG you have to add is always different based on the different amounts of Nic and Flavor in the recipes.

2 Likes

Yup, you just gotta add your flavors and keep playing with the numbers till you get close, I use pre mix and most times you can’t get exactly to 30/70 or to correct nic level, and yeah you can’t put in 50/50 at zero nic as you already found out.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Cheers, I guess I’m just surprised that more people don’t have this problem, and that there isn’t already some calc out there that has accounted for people using Dilutants that aren’t just 100% PG and 100% VG.

If you want to save money and buy in bulk (like I did) you’re better off not getting 100% PG because you’ll never go through that as fast as your 100% VG.

3 Likes

Yeah, but it last a lot longer!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been working on a calculator for this myself, some ppl will just tell you to use Max Vg on the calculator which is Baloney IMO !

3 Likes

I really think buying everything solo is the best…
then for nic base, pick which one you like better.

Just remember, pg based nic lasts longer… however, if you keep the nic based solution in the freezer, they both will last till you take them out and the clock starts ticking again :wink:

4 Likes

I agree, and have a stockpile of 100 nic pg in the freezer and more on the way. Just using up the pre-mix I have on hand for now😎

3 Likes

There’s quite a few good calculators out there, but none seem to have considered the fact that people don’t always use/ have 100% PG and 100% VG dilutants. Bizarre oversight IMO.
Let me know if you finish this Calculator, it will come in most handy!

4 Likes

its not that it was not considered… premixed base has shown up in the last year or so…
not too many that diy use a premixed base… we already know to grab these solo…
it is good for new mixers, but it has a lot of disadvantages. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now you tell me lol.
The 500ml bottles were much cheaper per ml than the smaller ones so I thought I was being smart by buying a 50/50 PG/VG bottle.

3 Likes

True and True, it was the easiest way for me to get started after being thrown into this by the Flavorban here, but yes has its disadvantages for sure.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

You guys will be just fine… Promise… :crazy_face: maybe!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

[quote=“Bunyep, post:3, topic:235360”]
I’m trying to follow a recipe with my 100% PG Nic Base
[/quote]

Don’t forget that the nic level entered into the calculator for the 50/50 pg vg must be disregarded, the easiest way to add your nicotine is to add it as a flavor, the above example using 100mg/ml pg base nic gives you 3mg nic strength. Best to add the nic base to flavor stash and enter correct SG for more accurate results.

2 Likes

Maybe in the US but it has been available in Europe multiple years now…

3 Likes