I need someone to explain simply

i have seen a lot of upset vapers…apparently some things are happening on the government level…anyone care to explain it to me in terms i can understand?

Read my thread here: FDA Deeming regulations are published

CASAA explains what just happened here, and more info on what it is here, I think. In short, the FDA approved further regulations on tobacco products that now include e-cigarettes and cigars. Anything made AFTER 2007 has to go through a lengthy and expensive process to be approved by the FDA before it can be sold. This is effectively everything we use hardware-wise and basically all retail e-liquid. The thought is that the process is so expensive, only big-pharma/big-tobacco industries will be able to afford it, basically cutting off all other manufacturers and giving them a monopoly on the $3bil e-cig business.

5 Likes

From what I can see and I’m not positive but it’s saying all online sales will be suspended in 90 days? Then on the e-juice companies they have to file some dumb shit in on each flavor of each mix and in the USA today article I seen it said the paperwork could range up to 1 million per application. So I believe that would mean you have a 4 flavor mix that would cost up to 7 million to get the applications in. But I believe that this won’t happen for 30 days but I’m seeing everyone say that this all won’t happen for 2 years. But expect the diy scene to blow up I’m assuming.

Yah, what @JoJo says. Here in Europe they’re going to outlaw every tank that will allow you to get to the juice, only closed systems will be allowed i.e. cartridge operated vaping pens produced by big T. Just imagine the extra crap they will be adding to the juice to keep people as hooked (and sick) as possible :rage:

2 Likes

Sales will be suspended in 90 days? For reals? Does that mean maybe I should by my next upgrade?

1 Like

Don’t hesitate, Chris.

We will see a flood of underground activity. I will make the chimneys and decks for various tanks, and RDA’s and sell them as jewelry. Brad will make tips and other components and sell them as game pieces for one of those silly card games the kids play. It will take some networking and cooperation of various folk. We can all get some old Ford sedans and hop them up to handle transportation.

11 Likes

Basically a slow ban on vaping…

I see a possible trip to Canada ,if this all goes through, to get supplies. And a the current CAD/US exchange rate might even score some deals.

You can buy the Evolv DNA 200 board for like $75. You can mount it in a sardine can if you like. For close to $100 you can build the best TC mod there is. I don’t see how they can regulate that board. So maybe Evolv was thinking ahead.

I plan on buying a few more tanks and mods. But for the most part I think I am set. I have enough VG/PG to last a couple years. Nic, I don’t know how long, but I know I at least have a years worth. I don’t expect the flavorings to become too hard to get since Medicine Flower and others out there aren’t even intended for vaping.

I just feel sorry for the future consumers who won’t have the same options available to try to quit smoking.

4 Likes

That’s a bit of an exaggeration: the regulations require that tanks are “child- and tamper-proof, are protected against breakage and leakage and have a mechanism that ensures refilling without leakage” and that’s since been explained to mean that it must have a refill ‘port’ small enough for the nozzle of a standard juice bottle to “snugly” fit into.
Tanks must also have a maximum capacity of 2ml and data must be produced showing the chemical content of vapour emissions.

The juices themselves must also be tested and analysed so that all ingredients are identified and listed.

True, but if you read a little further, you get to this;
“(46) In the context of an emerging market for electronic cigarettes, it is possible that, although complying with this Directive, specific electronic cigarettes or refill containers, or a type of electronic cigarette or refill container, placed on the market could pose an unforeseen risk to human health. It is therefore advisable to provide for a procedure to address this risk, which should include the possibility for a Member State to adopt provisional appropriate measures. Such provisional appropriate measures could involve the prohibition of the placing on the market of specific electronic cigarettes or refill containers, or of a type of electronic cigarette or refill container. In this context, the Commission should be empowered to adopt delegated acts in order to prohibit the placing on the market of specific electronic cigarettes or refill containers, or of a type of electronic cigarette or refill container. The Commission should be empowered to do so, when at least three Member States have prohibited the products concerned on duly justified grounds and it is necessary to extend this prohibition to all Member States in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the internal market for products complying with this Directive but not presenting the same health risks. The Commission should report on the potential risks associated with refillable electronic cigarettes by 20 May 2016.”

There’s all kinds of loopholes in these new regulations. Phrases like ‘to adopt provisional appropriate measures’ or ‘on duly justified grounds’ don’t sound very good in my ears. We all know how ‘objective’ they’ve been before, so don’t be surprised if provisional appropriate measures on duly justified grounds pop up like mushrooms and it won’t be the big tobacco products that will come under fire, they know who’s pockets to grease.

This is only one excerpt, there are hundreds of pages filled with this kind of stuff :dizzy_face:

1 Like

The TPD Preamble (from which you quote) isn’t the legal text that you need to be reading - it’s defined in section 11 of Article 20:

“In the case of electronic cigarettes and refill containers that comply with the requirements of this Article, where a competent authority ascertains or has reasonable grounds to believe that specific electronic cigarettes or refill containers, or a type of electronic cigarette or refill container, could present a serious risk to human health, it may take appropriate provisional measures. It shall immediately inform the Commission and the competent authorities of other Member States of the measures taken and shall communicate any supporting data. The Commission shall determine, as soon as possible after having received that information, whether the provisional measure is justified. The Commission shall inform the Member State concerned of its conclusions to enable the Member State to take appropriate follow-up measures.”

In my opinion that’s a completely justified consumer protection measure rather than a dodgy loophole permitting corruption.

And the entire Directive - including all the conversational Preamble and the Annexes - runs to just 38 pages.
The bits most relevant to vapers (Articles 18 and 20) barely cover five!

I stand corrected :grinning:[quote=“BathVaper, post:14, topic:64407”]
In my opinion that’s a completely justified consumer protection measure rather than a dodgy loophole permitting corruption.
[/quote]

That depends on the honesty of the commission, time will tell. I just hope that you are right and I am wrong and I’ve just gotten cynical with old age. :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds just like gun control.
Seven round capacity is safer than a ten round capacity, and 15 rounds is an assault weapon.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the breakdown of info, fam… So, in other words, stock up!

2 Likes