I saw a tutorial about this helping steep time

<a href https://www.amazon.com/Stirred-Microblading-Varnish-Shaking-Machine/dp/B07WF2GKSZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?keywords=nail+polish+shaker+machine&qid=1581209814&sprefix=nail+polish+shaker&sr=8-29/a>

This thing is great even just for shaking! But I saw a video stating that this machine helps to steep faster along with other methods, heat, ultrasonic, ect. I know this is a debated subject but if anyone has experience with these, do they help? At the very least it’ll help us shaking up our ejuice because I never feel like I have shaked it enough!

4 Likes

Time is the best steep.
Everything else is basically degradation of some form.
Even time.
So you’re just hurrying the process.
I like to mix in a squirt bottle larger than the batch, then drop it in a sink of hottish water for long enough to make a label, like 5 minutes.
This makes the vg thinner for a moment.
Then I shake the ever loving crap out of it and squirt into the dispenser bottle.
Then I put it somewhere dark for a month, often cheating the next day and at the one week mark, taking notes.
The shaker thingy is cool for folks that have trouble with their wrists and tendons. I laughed when I first read about people who couldn’t shake, then one day I mixed several batches and my arm was sore.
Folks that use Alchohol in the mix often leave it un-capped for a day to let the vapor escape.
I’m fortunate to have about 30 flavors I like so I can afford to be patient.
Good luck!

6 Likes

My opinion only but, there are no shortcuts to a good steep. Ultrasonic is debatable and heat is a big NOPE. Also, no “breathing” your mix. Always leave the cap on!
Shake well and put it away somewhere cool and dark.

9 Likes

Just clicked that link. Come on, $24.00 for a bottle shaker? Maybe if someone’s physically unable to shake a little bottle…otherwise waste of money.

5 Likes

That’s not cheating…tbats the way you should steep a mix for the first time …SNV , Next Day , 3 days , 1 week 2 weeks 4 weeks apprx…This way you can know if there are any changes …Alot of recipes dont need a full months

7 Likes

Ya id have to agreee with @TorturedZen …waste of money , just shake

7 Likes

After you have been making your own juice for awhile you find those recipes you make repeatedly and confidently. That’s time to make larger batches like 120ml and 240ml. These are much easier to blend than 30ml bottles. You can more easily eyeball as the swirly layers of different viscosity (VG/PG/Nic/Flavs) blend together and get visually clear.

The above advice is best as it is hard to imagine the various components of a juice not getting ever-more molecularly blended over time, but there is endless advice re: how to best do this. Search this Forum for “homogenizer” for several fun reads.

7 Likes

the best method for steeping is time !

everyone has their own view on how to mix … me i used a heated mag mixer. Generally mix 240 - 1000 ml batches.

but here’s an example of nothing beats time

i use the heated mag mixer to thin the vg then mix in the pg let it cool a bit then add flavors and nic. heat is nicotine’s worst enemy.

its good shake and vape .

but sit it on the shelf - wait two weeks. its so much better.

4 Likes

These are :fire: ripping little mixers! Love mine :grinning:

https://www.amazon.com/Zulay-Milk-Frother-Handheld-Operated/dp/B074ZL35DH

3 Likes

Frother! I like that. I know you can’t really rush the process but I just hate worrying about it not being mixed enough. I’m sure it’s fine but I guess I was just curious what everyone else does :smirk:

4 Likes

Well, shaking and frothing won’t get you entropy at the molecular level, which is what we call a ‘steeped’ or ‘mature’ juice. You need a high shear homogenizer or Father Time. And comparing the cost between the two, it’s easy to see why everyone promotes the time method. Shaking when mixing is important but won’t get you close to juice maturity.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, I have researched it and I couldn’t get a clear answer, clearly it’s a controversial subject :laughing: no but time is the only thing that makes sense. I was also just kinda curious if anyone uses that or something like it to get a better shake, or if it’s completely unnecessary. Definitely feeling it’s not something I need. Thank you for your help, I know it’s sort of a stupid question :smirk: just curious and appreciate the information alot

3 Likes

No, it really isn’t. When I started mixing, I duct taped my bottles to a jigsaw and shook the living sh*t out of them. Now unless I’m doing some heat and USC (if I need a juice sooner), I just do a few minutes of “Why you little!!!” hand shaking before I shelve them.

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart: Ok perfect

2 Likes

I also use same! I took off the springy thing and bent the circular loop into a tight spiral ball. Fits right in my Boston Round glass bottles. I should do a pic but I would have to stand up. :lazy:

5 Likes

Truuue. I use Nic in VG cold from my wine fridge (58° F) and it sinks right to the bottom. Not something you want to not get thoroughly mixed …oh and it does resist, but my milk frother makes easy work of it. When mixing I add PG first then flavs (in PG) and swirl them in the bottom till clear, then add Nic(VG-based) and swirl till clear and finish with VG and frothing.

I think adding the Nic 2nd minimizes any attempt for adhesion of the cold Nic to the bottle bottom and be able to fight being fully blended in the end. Swirling by hand (no frother yet) only takes about 15 seconds, and I look through the bottle and watch until all those swirly layers disappear (goes from milky to clear) before adding the final VG fill. While frothing you can also watch as that new swirly VG layer blends with the PG-based layer. I don’t get alot of bubbles but it’s fully mixed in a minute. Clean up is instant just run it under hot tap water and spin dry. I’d love a heated mag mixer but I’m CHEAP ( and the biggest thing I mix is a 240) …I got a couple new frothers at the Thrift store for a couple bucks. Tool footprint in my workspace? 2 sq in

4 Likes