I SFT'd a flavor The world has ended!

I seriously blame Zippy for this hahaha. The advocaat … I’ve never in my life tasted an egg liqueur because uh why would I? This flavor on the finger test threw me for a loop. It definitely didn’t taste like eggs, which is what I was expecting, and still can’t really tell you what it tastes like. Wasn’t eggnog but it has some boozy note, honestly the SFT was as useless because I still have no idea what this is. That being said, it’s good which is a weird thing to say because I have no idea what it tastes like. Booze, vanilla, some kind of cream? So that led me on a research binge, which is usually how I find out about flavors.

While other people SFT I usually research everyone’s notes and look at how other people have used those flavors and since this is one of those flavors not many people talk about that wasn’t much help either LOL the only thing that came up was this was supposed to taste really close to Warninks Advocaat. It’s certainly an oddity flavor and I think I’ll just follow recipe ideas like what to mix with egg liquor cause yeah this one stumped me big time LOL. So Snowball cocktail, that’s a recipe I’m mixing this up with although why people want to drink egg liqueur with lemonade and a splash of lime is beyond me LOL

7 Likes

It is quite a nice drink but hardly ever used straight more of a cocktail ingredient - my wife used to drink it with cherry brandy as a shot many moons ago.

8 Likes

LOL Simon I got my mom and daughter to taste the mixed sft and they both told me it tasted like 151 everclear so yeah it’s definitely boozy.

6 Likes

The original is made from egg yolks and a spirit, usually Jenever (a vodka/gin like spirit for lack of a better description, I’m no alcohol connoisseur) and sugar. Different brands can use a different alcohol. I’ve seen explanations where they say they use brandy… it’s possible but it’s not such a common drink here. Legend (?) goes that the drink originated in Brazil and was made with avocado but since that didn’t grow in the northern European climate, it was replaced with egg yolks.
From experience, it tastes a lot stronger that an American eggnog so that boozy flavor isn’t surprising. I can’t speak for the flavor concentrate but I can highly recommend the original drink. It goes very well with cakes, ice creams and other deserts as well as in cocktails. Vanilla and chocolate are very welcome companions.

From all your other threads, I get the impression that you don’t get egg flavor from most common eggy concentrates. Perhaps you have a flavor blindness for it like many people have with strawberries or creams? But I do seem to remember you posting a while back that you started using CAP VC v1 at 3% and it lost its eggy flavor at that point. Maybe you should go back to your original mixing percentages for that flavor to get it back?
Or maybe it’s just that you expect something different than what most people talk about. When I talk about an eggy flavor, it doesn’t taste like real eggs to me at all. Not like an ommelet, hard boiled egg, fresh egg yolks or anything like that. Like for example when you compare 2 different mayonnaises, you can tell which one has got more egg in it but it doesn’t make the mayo taste like egg? A lot of concentrates (especially custards) have that same property to me but I find they often overdo it with that eggy flavor. But that’s just me… tastes are very subjective and often difficult to describe.

9 Likes

And by the way, advocaat doesn’t taste like eggs to me either, neither does your American eggnog… yet I can tell there are eggs in it.

7 Likes

Thanks so much for all the insight on that flavor, it is very appreciated. I did try a mix last night that gave me the eggy flavor finally it was Custard Premium (2.5%) with Inw Custard (2%) and I was so shocked I wanted to cry. That was from the Holiday pie someone recommended. I was beginning to think the same thing though because I wasn’t getting that flavor like when I make real custard at home :frowning:

6 Likes

You’re absolutely right on the eggnog! It’s thick, creamy, spiced with nutmeg but it doesn’t taste like eggs … which honestly that may be what was missing in my custards LOL not the eggy flavor but that thick creamy, nutmeg note.

4 Likes

Well, you got the right concentrates now. Custard Premium and INW are about as good as it gets.
TPA Bavarian cream (both regular and DX) have a lot of that too to me They all have a very thick and creamy texture to it too.

4 Likes

I wish I’d ordered a HUGE bottle of that Custard Premium since it takes a while to get here. I did order a separate 30 ml after Simon told me to get it under another name. That Vanilla pudding by FLV has that thick cream as well, now I’m wondering if the three of those together and maybe even adding in the eggnog too wouldn’t be heaven … I have to try it LOL

6 Likes

Well you know me … I’d say test them out separately to see where each flavor’s strengths are and put them together with that knowledge in the back of your head but you do what works best for you.

I’d start with just shake and vapes… little bottles… add a little flavor, test, add some more, test… just work out what the working range of each flavor is and how that properties of those concentrates work out for you. Even if you’re not steeping them to find out what a full SFT test does, it’ll give you a good basis to work with for each of those concentrates that seem to work for you.
If you’re putting a couple similar flavors together to test, it’ll be a long way and a heck of a lot of testing to find out what causes what.

7 Likes

I live in Germany and Advocaat is a tradition at Christmas/Easter, but also enjoyed in summer poured over fruits and ice cream. It is also eaten over waffles with whipped cream, used in cakes, etc. You can easily make it yourself from egg yolks, powdered sugar, condensed milk, vanilla and rum or brandy (56% alcohol). Store bought has an average of 14-20% alcohol. I love that stuff!

9 Likes

Thanks so much Pi. I lived in Germany as a kid so missed out on this one

3 Likes

@zippy your fault again (love you) testing the Malaga Ice Cream at 2% and I get a cream and maybe a raisin in the background fresh. Will pop back in a week and see what’s what.

3 Likes

Well depending on what your putting it up against 2.5 % is not out of the question. It’s a rum raisin ice cream. Thanx… Squirrel ya later. :heart:

3 Likes

Okay so should have mixed higher. I know nothing about Sassami concentrates :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I need this in my life @zippy! How am I to achieve that goal, pray tell?

3 Likes

I just recently started meaningful SFT. Smelling a concentrate or finger testing a concentrate yields nothing for me. Just not there for me. For me it took finding a process that I found palatable both in terms of time and effort. It took quite a while but I can now churn up a 10ml test and vape it for awhile and the results are very helpful.

4 Likes

You need to get that flave… It will send your budz on fire… Sasami malaga ice cream… :heart:

3 Likes

I looked… but, couldn’t see it listed for purchase. :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh nom nomz has it… And

6 Likes