If you Vape... [corona]

Direct from Article #2:
All we can do is share the info we gathered in this past week or so.

and… at the bottom of the article:
We strongly suggest to keep yourself informed, from multiple sources if possible as the info we get from most of the media isn’t always accurate.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

I agree, it’s adding to the fear mongering, giving visibility to it.
That 2nd article too, all the way in the beginning they say “Should we be worried? We don’t know!” and then all the drama continues. It’s sad that people keep pumping out these stories to scare people.

Sure, we should all be scared and take care of ourselves by being disciplined over basic hygiene and contact with others but this is just grabbing any chance to put vaping in a bad daylight and that’s wrong.

6 Likes

Getting tedious now I know, but maybe not sharing the article would have been a better course of action? I’m not going to argue with you anymore though because you are most definitely a last-worder and this will never end until I zip it.

7 Likes

I do have things to do today Phil… and I know we all could be doing things besides sitting on this forum bickering… Main point to take away… stay clean and be grumpy… if it works for you, good. :slight_smile:

Im not trying to put vaping in a bad light… and I think a few here think I am… that is wrong and assumptions are all kinds of twisted. I enjoy my flavors… and hope everyone else does too. My main concern is with us going out for supplies… and carrying out our vapes… is to keep it all clean.

if anyone else reads into this… it’s on you… like I said… please stay safe. Im out for the day… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the original post and the articles come across in a different way than you intended. I know you well enough to know you wouldn’t knowingly do that but I think from the reactions here you’ll see that different people have a different take on it.

A simple post to point out some hygienic tips that vapers should be aware of, like regularly cleaning your mod, mouthpiece etc, just without the links to those tabloid-like articles would’ve had a much different response IMO.

No hard feelings though, I understand the whole intention of your post but after having seen how dumb people are (with the recent lockdowns in mind), I don’t believe that everybody else takes it that way too.

6 Likes

Here you go, enjoy.

4 Likes

@SthrnMixer

2 Likes

Agree with your sentiment, and everything else in this reply, until here:

No. Absolutely not.
Diligent? Yes.
Vigilant? Absolutely.

Scared (transition: more/continued fear) is the LAST THING we need right now. As a forum, as a family, as neighbors, as a society, as a WORLD!

9 Likes

Perhaps “humility” (particularly for present/former smokers) might be an applicable alternative term:

(NY Magazine, March 18): “How the Coronavirus Could Take Over Your Body (Before You Ever Feel It)

One thing that’s clear around the globe: Age makes a huge difference in survival. And one reason is that seniors’ lungs don’t have as much of what geriatrics expert Dr. Richard Baron calls reserve capacity. “At age 18, you have a lot of extra lung capacity you don’t use unless you’re running a marathon,” said Baron, who heads the American Board of Internal Medicine. That capacity gradually declines with age even in otherwise healthy people, so “if you’re an old person, even a mild form can overwhelm your lungs if you don’t have enough reserve.”

Source (Associated Press, March 22): “COVID-19 lung patterns show few clues for treating pneumonia

Source: https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/1030_coronavirus-1028x579.png

2 Likes

Ummm HELL NO @anon70102222 (interjecting).

I was talking to @anon84779643 on the phone today, and great chat as always. We were talking about how vapers CAN be at a disadvantage compared to non-vapers/smokers. If you know how bad your cell phone can be for germs, your setup can be as well. Touch the doorknob with your hand, take a vape, etc.

Wiping down your setups should NOT be overlooked IMO. I haven’t watched the vid above yet, so not sure if that dovetails this or not.

Clean your vape !!!

2 Likes

Well THAT was a disturbing read @Raven-Knightly.

3 Likes

That will give me nightmares. I kinda wish I hadn’t read it.
At least it had a peaceful ending :mask:

2 Likes

That’s what your mind is telling itself, anyway, as the last cells of your cerebral cortex burst in starburst waves, like the glowing algae in a midnight lagoon. In the isolation ward, your EKG goes to a steady tone.

3 Likes

Casper, there exist many possible outcomes. It is very likely the “unknown” that we fear the very most.

Quality exercise (walking is fine), plenty of sleep, and good diet are important. The lung Alveoli need a tad of Vitamin A to function well (pan-cooked thin-sliced carrots are an excellent source). Do not smoke (anything). If vaping, watch out for any resulting congestion, and do limit accordingly. Keep your body core warm when sleeping. Reducing fever with antipyretics (NSAIDs) may be counter-productive. SARS COV-2 can become active in the lower as well as upper respiratory system. Gently practice some deep breathing if and when any sense of inadequate air may appear. Inhaling steam (vaporizer, warm bath or shower) may also be helpful. Most of all, don’t give up on the amazing capacities of the body’s ability to (in time) formulate antibodies to pathogens. Recovery periods of up to as long as 6 weeks are reported.

Also, limit the potential for exposure to infecting “viral load”. Less is more where it comes to exposure. There appears to be very low if any correlation between measured antigen (COV-2 microbe) levels and symptoms experienced. This is (IMO) very likely a major reason for the microbes’ ubiquitous spreading (unknowing transmission). It is not well understood how long developed immunity lasts (and ~100 so far minor genetic mutations are being reported). Thus, folks may have to manufacture their own antibodies.

3 Likes

I think my kid made the best argument … all these people buying out toilet paper and not one of them buying vitamins. Sometimes kids get what we forget. Plenty of sunshine, drink lots of water, take your vitamins, wash your hands, and stay the heck away from people. Seems like a great solution to me.

5 Likes

Thanks Raven :hugs:
I don’t fear the virus or dying but I do have anxiety, which manifests in nightmares, panic attacks after the nightmares and a bit of ocd. I fear the anxiety more😆.

I actually read that article right before going to the supermarket & shops in the biggest “town/small city” near us.

That town/city has just had its first confirmed case, announced after I read that article too.
63year old man, came home after travelling and self isolated.

Needless to say, i did lots of hand washing while there & I’ve come home, unpacked & cleaned (go the ocd!).

3 Likes

Casper, I can relate to the planning and worrying stuff. Much about life (and existence in general), is utterly mysterious, and transcends our rational, focal consciousness. Many of my own well intentioned attempts to orchestrate various things reveal to me that “existence is the great humbler”. Each/every individual moment is unique and non-repeating amidst Nature, silent in its indifference. Have read that the average adult by age 30 has fashioned something like 1 Billion “antibodies” (which are any and all mechanisms by which our bodies react to toxic/foreign molecules/objects). (On a cellular level), around 90% of the cells within as well as on the surface of our bodies are … not us. We are a host to myriads of organisms that are essential to - as well as in some cases threatening to - our bodily existence. The immune system (within us, as well as in the various critters) is a truly amazing and very complex set of functional processes. (Perhaps) the more that we can learn to in humility accept the implicit mysteries of existence without the taxing exhaustions of anxiety, worry, and reactivity, the more that our energies can proceed in ways which are not directly knowable or actionable in the sense of overcoming any external resistances (power). Strength arises from within, by means in many ways mysterious even to ourselves.

4 Likes

Your prose really is quite eloquent and sometimes, I’m not sure if I understand your meaning. But I take this ^^ to mean this:

In the past I used to always try and control things or understand the complete detail of small topics or every topic, or make myself heard by being passive/aggressive and unknowingly hurting myself and others in the process, in regards to things that in reality do not make that much of a difference one way or the other, to life itself.
But because I did not know why I did these things I would continue to do them and did so for many years until it almost broke me. But I now understand the reasons why I do these things and do them a lot less than I used to and am able to enjoy “life” in a much more complete and satisfying way.
When I first met my husband, he would always say “don’t sweat the small stuff”. But the stuff wasn’t small for me.
I try and it’s hard sometimes to “let life be”.
Like the corona - I feel like it’s happened, I can’t make it go away but I can do what I can to prevent it spreading and stop others from getting it. So I will do those things that “I” can.
My subconscious still has trouble letting go - hence the “nightmares” comment earlier.
“Everything happens for a reason” is a mantra I have learned to live by.
Others do not understand this, particularly, if referenced to an event such as Corona, death, something negative, they find it offensive at times.
That’s just how I look at things :slightly_smiling_face:

I will stop here or this will really turn into a derailment (and I will be here all night, I should go to bed, it’s late).

Feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood.

2 Likes

Good to hear your thoughts, my friend. A sometimes challenge within existence is that each individual sentient being’s perceptions, experiences, and thus expressions can and do differ. Many debates about some (tersely imagined) “objective reality” are premised on “false senses of concreteness” (formed out of assumptions that our implicitly subjective worldviews are somehow universal and transferable to the other beings). Simplistic duals (ie, “right/wrong”, “good/bad”, etc.) may not be simple or clear templates upon which to experience and to base our various thoughts and actions. Sentient beings suffer (and an enduring yet perhaps largely unanswered question is, “why?”). Our capacity for empathy and tolerance are all that distinguish us from inanimate objects - and such graces are invariably tested when our egos attempt to cling to self-serving absolutes. There (IMO) is no simple single unitary “way to be”. It seems (perhaps) our task as sentient beings to in some way(s) grow and evolve to acquire some capacities to accept the “warp and woof” of Nature (of which we are but a part), silent in its indifference to our self-interested declarations and attempts to control Cosmos as we perceive it. Existence - the great humbler

2 Likes

Nice @Raven-Knightly . Seems you have been away from the keyboard for a while untill recently. I hope things are going as good as can be expected at this moment in time. I have missed you thoughts and often unique delivery. :fist_right:

3 Likes