I'm over with RTAs

Wow … I had no idea. OK, now I’m really convinced this is seriously not for me :rofl:
I’ve been vaping on 1 RDA for the last week, 1 mod, 2 sets of batteries. I’ve got 2 Aromamizer Plus’es if I’m on the road and I barely ever have both of them with me.
What on earth do you do when you travel, have an extra piece of luggage just for your vape gear? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lol, I carry 4 generally. I drive for a living, just local for the last 10yrs. But there is always the possibility of being stuck overnight somewhere so I choose to have both enough battery life, juice and variety to get through just in case.
Never want to put myself in a position to consider buying the stinky’s in a bad situation.

4 Likes

Lol…last summer I went to Thailand and Sri Lanka. I brought two beater mods with two tanks and two clone RDAs. It was ok, but I did miss my squonks. I was really concerned about having it all confiscated in Thailand. When I go to the US, I bring my squonks.

5 Likes

Glass piece on my Unity shatered as soon as I put it on (the smaller one)
I ordered two replacements.
Didn’t get any issues unscrewing anything tho. But I had juiced up most of my tank to try and lube a bit.
Also, have you ever tried using latex gloves to unscrew shit? It works wonders on my stuff anytime something is too tight.

I’m hoping you don’t give up on this RTA as it’s an amazing one. I have multiple RDAs now and this one sits on top of my drag2 permanently (unless I’m cleaning this or rewicking)…

Btw, to anyone having issues wicking getting bad flavor:
I wrote this a while back:

3 Likes

Well I got my own one now with a glass tank and all, and I I can say is its absolutely amazing, I dont know how I ever did without it. the wicking is INCREDIBLE. My cotton is SOAKED all the time, and its got an 8ml tank. Im only telling you because this is my first one with glass, I know youre a single coil guy and this is double, Vapefly Brunhilde… I doubt I will ever go back to my others. And you can drip it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Duh!!! No, I never thought of using gloves. I will now.

I contacted Wotofo about getting spare parts. The glass tubes can be had on FT for cheaper, but you can get everything else from Wotofo. The piece I need is called the “upper cover fixing seat” and it costs $1, plus $8 shipping, lol. I bought 3 just to ease the sting.

Mine has been on my Drag for a few days now. I was having a hard time wicking it with rayon which is all that I use in my Profile RDAs. So I used cotton and it’s been working great. I’m very impressed with the flavor and the airflow, which I think is better than the RDA.

Nice write up on the wicking. I think I was overdoing the rayon now that I’ve seen what you do. I’ll give it a try your way when I get my lazy butt around to it.

3 Likes

I recently got a G-taste Aries .best rta iv owned.great flavor it’s a three coil
holds 10m of juice. lasts all day!I like it better then my juggerknots. And better then my steam crave Glaz.for clousd and definitely better flavor…
i have a asylum rda but I never use it.i find rdas make my hands sticky all the time…perfer rta

4 Likes

All I use is rtas, I prefer the flavor and the convenience of having 4-6ml loaded at a time. Some rtas can be a pita to wick properly, but once you figure out what works best, it’s easy. As a general rule of thumb I always wick tight thru my coils and thin a lot of the bulk out of the ends. But wicking doesn’t seem to be the problem, more like tightening too much? I’ve had a few stick over the years, only had to resort to plies once, never a good Idea lol. Hopefully you get one that works for you. If I had to recommend one, I would say the Zeus X, definitely the best rta I’ve bought this year.

5 Likes

I was sick of RTAs until I bought a QP Designs M25 Fatality… Flavour with a lot of airflow

6 Likes

I seem to get better results when I don’t wick too tight. The more cotton in your coil, the less juice can easily be wicked. The tighter the cotton is, the more noise and tiny explosions/spitting I get too. Not only that, but I start tasting the cotton too. When wicked right, there’s zero break-in/cotton flavor.

Rayon is different, but cotton expands when wet. Having to use pliers is imo way too tight and won’t give you an ideal experience.

4 Likes

If you do t have gloves try wrapping an elastic band around, for that extra grip

5 Likes

Also

6 Likes

If you ever go to in for bloodwork, or know a nice phlebotomist, ask for a tourniquet or three. They’re mostly nitrile now and single use, but they are the BEST damn thing for opening jars, RTA’s, your mama’s denture cleaner- name it and there’s a fair chance it’ll open. I used to have them stashed all over the house for when I needed to open stubborn stuff.

9 Likes

I feel you’re pain. Been vaping for 5 years. For stubborn equipment have the jar removal pads and the ceramic tweezers with grip also got a pair of nylon jawed pliers from Amazon. Our adventure never ends.

7 Likes

I love your honesty and freedom of expression! And that’s what I love about vaping. There are so many options, opinions and preferences. I’ll throw in my own just for the sake of posterity. I use all sorts of devices short of pods and other popular commercial rigs. My priority is simplicity and convenience that’s why my RDAs or RTAs need to be designed in a Spartan way. The less parts, the better. If my RDA has a tight cap I can simply remove one of the o-rings or change the size. As you pointed out, RTAs aren’t as simple but…some can be remedied. There’s always something. For ex.,You find an RTA that has perfect wicking, perfect AF, perfect top filling but the darn AF ring won’t budge! Sometimes that can be fixed by lubing or switching out the o-rings if there are any. If not and the AF ring is removable you can sand down the I.D.

Your experience with Wotofo was unfortunate and warranted an exchange or refund. With all said, yes, RTAs require more attention to wicking technique than most RDAs. The fact that RTAs rely on proper tank pressure adds to the complexity. If you ever try another RTA again you might do better with no-leak, top AF (unless you get unlucky enough to get one that’s been torqued together like lug nuts on wheels. lol.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve tried about 12 types of tanks. The problem is the flavor level. When I moved to squonking with RDAs I discovered how much tanks lack in that area. The reviews of the Unity led me to give it a shot and it has lived up to them.

I’ve got the process down now for the Unity and I’m happy with it. I’ve got a replacement part for the one that broke so I’ll have two of them and that’s enough. I can’t see myself ever giving up on the RDAs as the simplicity, ease of use and flavor are all unbeatable, at least at this time.

5 Likes

No argument there. There’s a reason DIYers use RDAs to test flavors. For one, the flavor quality and two, the ease of changing out flavors. But, yea, some of the tanks are crankin’ out the flavor these days. Especially the mesh ones, imho.

5 Likes

Not sure that you were incompetent Dardy. I had to retire my Aromamizer Supreme because of leaks. It was a nice big tank - with equally big leaks!

3 Likes