I'm starting to see this label on some Propylene Glycol

Hello everyone.
I have been looking for a cheaper price on propylene glycol, as the prices go up. I have only used 2 different brands of propylene glycol since I started making vape juice 7 years ago.
Furthermore, I have been seeing some new labeling on the propylene glycol that I have never seen before. The labeling reads.

• USDA certified 100% biobased product – Bio-preferred labeling program that identifies renewable natural resource alternatives.

Can you vape this stuff? What is it made from, or how is it made?
Thank you

4 Likes

As far as I know it should be glycol of vegetal origin based on sustainable organic cultivations therefore suitable for vaping. In any case, wait for further feedback. :wink:

2 Likes

https://www.eesi.org/articles/view/biobased-buzz-renewable-propylene-glycol-early-success-in-renewable-chemica

Propylene glycol is a ubiquitous petroleum-based chemical that is widely used in plastics manufacturing but also for food processing, consumer care products and pharmaceuticals. Currently, approximately 900,000 metric tons of petroleum is used to produce both food-grade and industrial propylene glycol each year. According to the Department of Energy, substitution of renewable propylene glycol made from biomass can reduce greenhouse gases by 61 percent, as compared to using petroleum-based propylene glycol.

https://www.energy.gov/technologytransitions/kicking-oil-habit-making-propylene-glycol-plants

Many everyday consumer products from liquid detergents to pharmaceuticals and plastics contain the additive known as propylene glycol. The downside is that propylene glycol is typically made from petroleum, a nonrenewable source. It takes more than 1 million tons of petroleum each year to meet worldwide demand.

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) developed the first-ever catalytic process that converts plant-based raw materials to produce this valuable additive. Now, instead of relying on oil, industry has an alternative way to make propylene glycol that is environmentally friendly, cost-competitive, and commercially viable.

7 Likes

Thank you. Yes I was just looking to see what was out there far as price goes and started seeing this label on some Pg. I just never seen that before.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I have read both articles you posted. Sounds like we will see more manufactures in due time switching to this type of Pg.

5 Likes

If they can make safe PG from plants as opposed to petro, that can’t be a bad thing IMO.

7 Likes

Here in the EU there are already several safe brands that have switched to the production of vegetable glycol; it all started in France and is gradually spreading to neighboring states. My only doubt is the one relating to the maximum temperature of use which if I remember correctly was set at 200 degrees centigrade, curiously similar to that of nicotine salts… probably some chemical extraction process could be the determining factor.

4 Likes

Where can we find plant-based PG? I did a web search and can’t find any suppliers. It seems plant-based is worlds better than petroleum derived PG.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Kinda pricey, ey?

4 Likes

Yes, the Bio Based is pricey. That may partly explain the cost of Medicine Flower Premium and VSO Xtreme concentrates, both based in Bio Based PG

4 Likes