Influenza outbreak 1/25/2018

Influenza outbreak hitting hard in Arkansas USA, my wife got it and she had to go to the ER today. I hadn’t noticed until I went to get her prescriptions filled how many people are wearing masks to protect themselves from the germs. So I guess I just wanted to mention it so you (and I) can take precautions, Don’t go into public areas, and if you do don’t breathe!
Anyone got it? My wifes symptoms include joint, muscle and bone pain, Fever, chills, nausea, headache, vomiting and diarrhea. She is not really congested at this time. But I can tell she will be over the next days, because she is now getting the sniffles.
she was prescribed
Oseltamivir 75MG (generic for Tamiflu) on 12 hour interval for 5 days
PROMETHAZINE 25MG 6 hour as needed for nausea

7 Likes

Most of the symptoms sound like me every morning. It could be here. My wife has something. I might, seems like something is settling in. A friend reported he had the “flu”. So, possible.

5 Likes

Prayers for both. Get well.

7 Likes

I saw on the news that it can be transited by air, unlike the previous strains that required contact, that is why everyone is wearing the paper masks. so I was kinda only half joking about dont breath if your in public.

3 Likes

This year the flu shot only was only effective for 5% of the strands, so theres an epidemic countrywide. Go to doctor right away if you suspect this as you need to start on tami flu in the first 24 hours.

Ive had it once so far this season, and hope to avoid it again. Its bad enough feeling like I have it daily cause of my meds… Im hibernating until the season is over!

5 Likes

Was the Tamiflu effective for you?
my wife immune system was low because she was just getting over the shingles, the flu hit her hard and she needed to go to the doctor just after 15 hours of her first symptoms.

2 Likes

The tamiflu just lessons the symptoms and suppose to shorten the span. I’m a strange case because I don’t have an immune system so its so hard to tell. I have flu symptoms daily… before these issues, yes it always worked for me.
Now it takes me a long time to fight anything off and usually wind up in hospital. Best for me to hibernate… I purposely canceled my plane trip over this

2 Likes

I had it and it put me down for 3 days, I mean completely down, like one day I slept 19 hours in a 24 hour period. Normally when these things come around and everyone I know is sick for a week I might get one day that I feel bad, this one was a week plus of feeling bad plus the 3 days of being on my back.

1 Like

There was a news report recently about how bad the flu epidemic is here in Southern California. Some local hospitals have set up huge tents to accommodate the overflow of patients. Seems there is more than one strain and one is really nasty.

2 Likes

Have had a strain before it is terrible hope she gets well soon

1 Like

Flu shots are totally useless. They inject people against a certain strain and by the time they get a flue it has mutated.
It’s one hell of a cash cow for the pharmaceutical industry though.

8 Likes

My stepsister lived in the US for about 7 years and the shot was mandatory. She never had problems with flue before until she got the shots and then she was down with flue all the time.
When she got back it took a number of years before she got over that.

1 Like

It depends on who you work for, It’s mandatory for me to get the flu shot.

3 Likes

We only have two reasons we can opt out, pregnancy and egg allergies.

3 Likes

I got my flu shot super late, 2 days ago lol. I hadn’t had one in ages and figured I’d give it a go. Yesterday I had a reaction to it, fever and a minor cough on top of my arm hurting and feeling like a damn noodle. Today all is well.

Most are saying the effectiveness is shit this year but it will make the flu more mild and I can live with that. Last year it was two weeks of hell and I wanted my wife to take me out back and put me down lol.

@CosmicTruth I wish you and The Mrs. all the best.

3 Likes

Never had a flu shot and never will. They’re always old strains and they keep mutating. One of the biggest pharma scams ever.

Best way to avoid flu is to sleep enough, exercise regularly, eat your veggies and stop sitting on your chair 6 hours a day (or more). Your body can fight those viruses best when it’s in optimal condition.

7 Likes

Vitamine D and C

4 Likes

I guess I’m lucky. I have a hyperactive immune system and rarely get sick.

2 Likes

said the hermit in the bubble

2 Likes

Flu shot is only 30% effective for the H3N2 strain that has been going around, ER’s here are jam packed to the brim. It’s bad in VA.

2 Likes