Innokin Coolfire TC18650, a more refined Coolfire

What’s up vapers!
SirRisc here with another gear review!

The Innokin Coolfire TC18650 was sourced from Innokin!

Premise.

So… I’ve been away for a few weeks due to personal matters demanding my attention.
Things have been hectic and I’ve had very little time to review, even little time to actually vape.
In fact, those of you who follow me on Instagram may have noticed that I have hardly been posting there too.
But you’re not getting rid of me that easily… :wink:

Regardless, before the universe smacked me around with a bunch of issues I can’t really solve, Innokin sent out their newest iteration of the Coolfire IV.
It’s one of the devices people have been asking for for months on end, a device with the same quality as the previous Coolfire but with an 18650 instead of a built-in battery.
And they’ve succeeded in making it a little more refined, in fact it looks as if it grew up overnight.

So how does it fare in daily life?
Let’s find out, shall we?

I’m not going to include all my photos in this review, but I highly recommend having a look at the gallery for more photos!

Coolfire TC18650

Specifications.

• Single 18650 battery powered
  • New Coolfire IV design!
  • 6W to 75W power output
  • Aethon board inside with precise Temperature Control
  • Minimum resistance: 0.1ohm

Packaging.

There are two kinds of packaging for this mod, relative to the version of the kit you buy.
One is the standard kit and comes in a box similar to the previous Coolfires, basic but detailed and very complete.
The other is a travelkit, which comes in a long rectangular box. This is a bit more basic packaging, but the mod is very well protected in the case that sits in the box.

Unfortunately there’s no room for the tank in the box of the travelkit, so they come in a separate package.
Whether or not you’ll be using the tanks is up to you of course, but Innokin was nice enough to provide me with a smaller, newer version of the iSub V which only has a 2ml capacity making it a TPD compliant tank now.
Thank you Innokin, for not forgetting European vapers! Believe me when I say it’s well appreciated!

Performance.

Alright, I’m not going into too much detail on the functionality of this mod, because it does essentially the same thing as the previous Coolfire TC100.
The differences are more aesthetic and honestly… it’s not a bad move to use a different design.
In terms of actual functionality though, there are very few differences.

One of them is the power output being lowered from 100W to 75W, this is done because of battery safety.
Innokin has always been very careful with their batterydesigns and it does show in this mod.
That’s also where I found one problem with this mod, the batterysafety is done so we won’t blow our faces off and I get why this is so important…
No seriously, stop laughing. We’ve had enough headlines about people using a tank on a hybrid mod and blowing up their face, hands or even lighting their house on fire.
It’s not a good thing. STOP DOING THAT!
Ahem… the thing with this mod is, it’s too careful sometimes.
The low voltage protection kicks in a fair bit too early and shuts the output down completely instead of lowering it.
For comparison, I took the same battery and tank to another mod (the Smok Nano One in this case) to see how far I could push the battery before the mod shut off the power.
The difference was… interesting. The Coolfire shuts off at around 35% battery, and the Nano One keeps on trucking (musical reference!) until the battery sits around 15% capacity.
Keep in mind that this is using the same battery and the same tank.
Regardless it’s a safety feature and it’s something I can’t complain about, despite the hinderance that it does bring with.

Other than the poweroutput being different the battery is now replaceable, which means there has to be a batterydoor.
Innokin chose to use a batterydoor with a technique that is similar to mechanical mods.
The batterydoor sits on the bottom and has a fairly long spring inside of the goldplated contact, which means that even buttontop batteries fit the mod.
I highly recommend not to use buttontops, but if you’re in a pinch it can be a welcomed feature.

In terms of temperature control and even regular powermode, the mod does pretty much the same the Coolfire TC100 does.
It has yet to fail me in recognizing a new coil, it reads the resistance very accurately, and it provides one of the smoothest vapes in temperature control that I’ve had in a long time.
I know a lot of people seemed to have issues with the batterylife on the TC100 but well… that’s solved now, isn’t it? Just replace the battery in the TC18650 and vape your little face off.
Not literally of course. You’ll need your face later on.

Aesthetics.

The Coolfire TC18650 looks very different from the TC100, and I have to say I like the new design a lot better than too.
It’s more refined and feels more substantial. It’s simply prettier.
This shows especially in the button configuration on this one, the buttons aren’t as thick as on the TC100, and they’re a fair bit smaller too.
The tactile feedback has remained despite the difference in size, so you can expect a nice clicky feel to the buttons.
Where the plus and minus buttons on the TC100 were on the vertical axis of the mod, the buttons are now unified on the horizontal axis and sit very close to one another.
This not only looks better, it also saves a bit of room on the faceplate, making the mod look a bit more minimalistic.

One feature you’ll find missing from this one that the previous Coolfire all had, is the USB port.
The replaceable battery means that you’ll have to charge your battery outside of the mod, instead of using your mod as an end-all-be-all device.
After all, chargers these days have a lot more advantages over charging mods through USB, safety being the most important aspect.

A comparison with the Coolfire TC100:

The travelkit:

The iSub V tanks:

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• Replaceable battery
  • Excellent batterydoor
  • New design looks amazing!
  • Bright and crisp display
  • Very accurate output and temperature control
  • Travelkit is fucking awesome!

Con.

• Low voltage protection is a bit too sensitive
  • No USB charging (which would be handy in the travelkit)

I honestly couldn’t find much wrong with the mod outside of that…

In conclusion.

The new Coolfire TC18650 is a beautiful iteration and shows maturity in the Coolfire series.
While I do somewhat regret not having 100W at my disposal, I’ve found that the mod does very well on the road with it’s 75W.
Batterylife could be better due to the low voltage protection cutting the power a bit too strict, but it’s definitely not too bad.
The new design is stunning and I hope the next iteration of the Coolfire (or even the next MVP?) will take a page from this book.
It’s a more refined look and it suits the mod after this many years. (Anyone remember the Coolfire II? Everyone who ever owned one is still trying to forget.)
In short, I’d definitely advise this mod if you’re looking for something easy but full of functionality.

In closing I would like to thank Innokin for sending out the Coolfire TC18650!
I’d also like to apologize for the extreme delay in publishing this review, I’ll try to get some more writing time planned into my schedule.

Thanks for reading, join me next time as I take a look at a mod I’ve waited for for a loooong time, the ETAlien X2!
(Yes, I know a lot of you hate the way the mod looks. I don’t care, I like it well enough to review it.)

Need to reach me? Head over to my website.
Interested in what I vape daily? Check out my Instagram.
Want to know more about DIY? Head over to ELR.

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of something with strawberries and vanilla custard scented vapor

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on personal opinions and is not intended as a promotion, endorsement or advertisement.
The publisher is not sponsored, affiliated or compensated in any way.

5 Likes

Great review!
Hope your personal problems all come out well for you.

1 Like

1st: Welcome back, and nice to meet you!!
(I’m obviously another one of the newbies to the forums since you’ve been on hiatus) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Loved the review. Both in content, choice of pics as well as writing style/humour!

Issues cited above: As a whole, that device’s an auto-fail for me on two counts:

1. No USB means no updates (to me that’s as much a requirement these days as is onboard charging, unless the price is in the $25-$35 range, then I consider the mod ‘disposable’ sadly).

2. No onboard charging. With life these days being “on the go” for so many of us, that makes not only ease of use, but continued use and access to: charge in the car, with a portable charger (eg: while camping), etc mandatory.

I do love what they did with the battery door though!!! Wish more were that well built, and they’d get away from all these magnet-based designs. That’s one of the things that had me eyeing the 75w Pico before I dove into the deep waters of the VT133.

Cheers for a job well done :slight_smile:

1 Like