Interesting Reading From ECF

I came across this thread on ECF. It seems rather interesting and I thought maybe I’d share it here.

Now, here’s the kicker… I learned this from my vape shop buddy who’s been making juice for 8 years now… The industry doesn’t have it quite right on the properties of VG and PG. While it is true the VG is more viscous and can produce more vapor, it is also slower to heat, which actually slows that process back down… PG is thinner, so it will cook off faster, meaning it will vape quicker, but it will also get hotter faster, causing that throat hit everyone talks about from PG. Here’s the SCIENCE on the two liquids though… The PG is a better carrier for the flavor because it is a molecule that is receptive to the type of molecular structure the flavor is bound in, unlike the VG, which is why we have to steep in recipes with large amounts of VG. Ironically, flavor added to pure PG will essentially shake and mix and with a warm soak will be totally blended in just a few minutes. Now, the PG and the VG blend well together because they are a compatible type of suspension liquid, although they are bound by different molecular chains. In short, what you want to do is separate your vg and pg, do the math from 8.5 ml of base… 30 percent of 8.5 mils is what? that’s how much PG you need to grab and put in your bottle and add all that flavor above to it. What happens is, when the flavor blends with the PG and the PG absorbs one of the components of the flavor to bind it, it actually amplifies the flavor, compounding it and enhancing it. Take that mixture to a warm bath and steep it for about 10 or 20 minutes and add the rest of the VG to your heated mixture. The smell should be distinct… and it should smell just like you intended it to. After you have it all mixed together, shake the crud out of it until it’s all full of bubbles, grab your device and give it a rip… let me know what you think… Oh, and if you don’t believe all the junk above, make it both ways… put the flavor in a vg/pg solution and steep it for 3 days… make the other batch like I said… flavor in the pg first until it’s mixed then add the vg and tell me that the flavor is not more powerful that way. :slight_smile: I LOVE SCIENCE!!!

11 Likes

I wonder if this would really hold true in comparison of a month steep.

5 Likes

I’m definitely going to try this. I have a couple recipes to mix today or tomorrow where, they’re good S&V but much better after a week. Now…I just have to find a couple clean tanks to test, lol. :yum:

3 Likes

I really doubt it. This will probably be good for a mostly fruit based recipe, but for creams and custards I’m fairly certain they will still take time.

6 Likes

Yeah, and I was thinking too, aren’t some flavors damaged or diminished by heat? This method might not work on every recipe. But it might be brilliant for a lot of things. Trial and error I guess. I’m definitely going to try it on my son’s favorite peach mix.

2 Likes

I use to heat steep all my recipes until I started using MF flavors. I wouldn’t try this with MF, but I think most others would be ok.

2 Likes

I don’t have any MF yet. :frowning: Some day… The only time I heat steep is like the ones I mentioned, okay right away but better after a week. If I want to try it right away it gives me a few days head start. Most of the time at least right now, I have so many recipes in development I don’t desperately need to test anything right away so it goes in a dark place, waiting in line until I test the others.

2 Likes

interesting enough for sure but I’m with you guys, custards and creams just change so much over a month and i believe it’s a maturing thing rather than a molecular bonding process, I don’t heat much anymore, I use one hot bath which will prob go cold in 15 minutes and sit open over night to let any alcohol disperse, then lock away for a month, out of any procedures I have tried, crock pot, microwave whatever…this has been by far the best. Mag stirrer next though, I have one I am just waiting for my beakers to arrive, I like the idea of blending my liquids, I have heard really good things about this method :thumbsup:

2 Likes

it’s worth a try.

1 Like

let me know what you think GP, be interesting to know

1 Like

I’ll need to order some PG, my juices PG level is regulated by flavor and nicotine. lol

2 Likes

I always add flavour to PG then shake before adding any VG, my nic is VG based also, some flavours need a good steep, custards and creams for example.

Common sense tells you that PG based flavourings will blend better with PG right? :confused:

5 Likes

That’s why I put 1% vodka and distilled water in my base liquid. When I add the flavors I shake it and add a little heat. Chemically, heat blends flavors. (Think about wine in cooking? Not just for the taste of wine, right?) Those 3 things break down the VG molecule and blend the flavor into the liquid. The heat also burns off the alcohol from the flavoring and the vodka. (I don’t want booze in my liquid). The water thins it so it shakes easier. One night with the lid off gasses off the New Jersey chemicals from the flavoring.

Yes, creams and custards taste better with age. That’s an aging process that mellows those chemical flavoring and blends it together better.

5 Likes