Is it good when a coil starts on fire?

I just built a coil and wicked it. I fired it when it was saturated. One of the legs got red hot the it bursted into flames. Im gonna rebuild it, but im wondering if anyone here had that happen to them and what causes it.

1 Like

I did that a lot, back in the day :wink: That’s just a short - You need to pulse it, strum it, adjust it a bit until it glows evenly from the inside out… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got you…so treat it like a good woman

4 Likes

Found the short and no more fire. Glad you mentioned short, because I could have remade that coil all day and still would have had a short because of the way the other coil was sitting in the deck.

:v:

2 Likes

without reading the rest of the thread the answer is nooooooo…lol be careful to tighten the terminals

1 Like

It’s only good if you’re on foot in the middle of nowhere during a snow storm.

3 Likes

Depends on how big your wallet is lol

2 Likes

I just had this happening to me! Quite warm indeed. I searched for the subject and found this old thread :older_man: :older_woman:

I build dual vertical coils, 3.5mm diameter, twisted fused Clapton, Kanthol, 5 wraps each, total Ohms 0.41, if I remember correctly. Steamcrave V squonk RDA. Using a unregulated semi-mech mod, Bastion Lift-box (auto-dripper), single 18650 battery.

Before first try, I saturated the cotton but not overly saturated. Since I was building for an auto-dripper mod box I left the cotton tails short and somewhat thinned so they wouldn’t hold a whole lot of extra juice because it seems like the auto-dripper can’t supply enough juice to keep up with a BIG efficient build. The cotton through the coils was firm; not to tight, not loose.

First hit was quite a surprise :fire: A moment to recover and assess lung damage, second hit…same. Repeated expecting different results. I know --> :crazy_face:

The coils were actually a bit high Ohms for practical Vapeing. It had a bit too much lag heating up. Quickly transforming into a blowtorch. Rechecked coil Ohms, double checked the tightness of the hex bolts and made sure the legs were centered for a solid capture/connection.
Checked cotton, still has decent juice. I knew I had to change something so I opened the juice bottle vent to the highest setting (there is tree different sizes vent holes) thinking maybe the juice is flowing a little to well ( doubtful though). Still errupting like Mt. Vesuvius. So I opened the airflow a bit, I had it somewhat restricted before so that it would draw juice better. The auto-dripper works (in theory) by drawing a little juice with the vacuum of each drag, like a soda straw or Venturi maybe, still pondering that. After opening up the airflow a bit it still burst into molten plasma!!!

Well, opening the airflow didn’t work so I decided to close it more. No more balls of fire :thinking:

:hourglass_flowing_sand:

:thinking:

I have since Vaped it quite a bit and have had no further lung damage from hot plasma gas.

WTHeck? I thought hot spots maybe, alcohol in the juice perhaps, vertical coils create a plasma bridge between the stubby fluff tops. I have no idea…nothing :no_mouth:

The long preheat is a no-go, so I’m going to have to lower the resistance some more. I’m thinking 0.3 Ohms.

This was my first time using twisted fused Clapton’s. Do they have inherent hot spots? I was not able to clamp the coils touching and bond by preheat and cooling so I left them minimally spaced.

Any ideas are welcomed and will be appreciated.

2 Likes