Is it safe to refreeze nicotine in PG?

When I get my nic I usually divide it up into smaller bottles and freeze those, but for some reason I threw the whole bottle in this time. Can I let it thaw to take out a month’s worth and put the rest back in the freezer, or is it like food where it’s unsafe to refreeze?
Or, can I shake it up good enough while it’s “frozen” and divide it up? I want all the small bottles to have the same strength.

3 Likes

I do the exact same thing all the time. I don’t “thaw” even though it feels like VG when it’s that cold. Just pour it. Never had any issues in over 4 years.

5 Likes

Honestly. When I get an order I break it down to 30 & 60ml bottles and place it all in the freezer. When I’m ready to mix I pull out on bottle. Allow it to come to room temp, mix, then put it back in the freezer.

I’ve been doing that for almost three years. Never had a problem.

Can’t say that is “right” but experience tells it’s fine.

3 Likes

I keep it on the back wall of the refrig. Its colder there but not enough to not freeze solid. If I put milk back there it only freezes the top part. So im guessing it fluctuates between 34-30 degrees. I need it once a month its room temp within 1 hr of taking it out.

3 Likes

That’s kind of what I usually do, except I don’t refreeze them. I put it in 30ml bottles and freeze them, then I take them out 1 at a time and put it in the coldest part of the fridge. It doesn’t change color before I use it all.

4 Likes

That’s how I do it, but mine is VG based, if I don’t bring it to room temperature it’s difficult to mix with, but I put it in the fridge right after (20ml) bottle, while the bigger bottles stay in the freezer. So i assume with the thinner pg that should work even better.

3 Likes

I’ve got VG based nic too. a couple 500ml bottles in the freezer and I’ve got 1 100ml bottle that I keep at room temp with the rest of my mixing stuff (in a drawer). That 100ml bottle lasts me the better part of a year.
Haven’t had any nic go bad yet.

4 Likes

@MTLvis You can absolutely do that. Don’t let the whole freezer thing mystify you. Think of freezing NIC as a “Slower Downer”. The more time your NIC spends in the freezer the better in my opinion, as you are limiting or “slowing down” the oxidation process. The longer the NIC is left out at room temperature, exposed to oxygen, or light, the faster it oxidizes.

I don’t know if you have VG or PG based NIC, but either way, both will last and stay far fresher in the freezer. As you said, dividing it up when you get it IS the best way, as that way you are only exposing oxygen to a small amount every time you open your mixing bottle as opposed to exposing your entire lot of NIC to oxygen.

3 Likes

Thanks everybody. My concern was less nic oxidizing and more food safety based. You can’t freeze, thaw, and refreeze food so I was wondering since I’m more or less consuming the pg if the food safety rule applied.

1 Like

PG in itself is anti bacterial, so it’s not like food, I think

4 Likes

Never used it but Regular nic seems like it needs more TLC.

Im confused cause I have salt juices steeping for 2 months where I used clear flavoring and they are still as clear as the day I made them.

Im almost tempted to add golden color or any color for that matter, just so it look like normal e-juice. :confused:

Edit: And its 24mg/ml nic. Xtra confusing.

2 Likes

It doesn’t freeze though, just gets really cold and thicker. If it would freeze it would end up solid and it never does.

4 Likes

The golden color after steeping is from your flavors, not from nicotine (hence 0 nic juices also have that golden color). Some flavors just don’t get a color, that’s nothing to worry about… it just depends on the ingredients that you use.
If your nic starts discoloring, that’s when things go bad.

5 Likes

Huh, I did not know that!

4 Likes

@MTLvis PG/VG is nothing like food so no worries. Many foods you may freeze have a cellular structure that gets ruptured by the expansion of water to ice…therefore the advice re: foodstuffs. Ice Cream is another one where the micro distribution of water ice and milkfat almost de-homogenizes when thawed, so when re-frozen ice cream changes texture and gets more coarsely crystalline (Science!). Nothing like that applies here, but good question!

6 Likes

After I’m done with making some of my mixes they are extremely cloudy for like a good day I wonder if it’s because I don’t let the nicotine go back to room temperature before I lose it from taking out of the refrigerator

3 Likes

@Vaporraven I think it is something else. All of my 100% PG 100mg NIC lives in the freezer all year round. I take it out only for mixing, shake it up good (not hard because it’s PG based), uncap, mix up, then re-cap and put back in the freezer, and I’ve never had cloudiness from that. What other flavors are you using ??

3 Likes

I too have 100mg nic in PG base. I have been using tfa Capella’s and favor West concentrates. It seems to be my sweet mango Sweet Tangerine golden pineapple and a few other citrusy type flavors that are extremely cloudy after I mix.

They Vape perfectly fine after I steep them it’s just really weird that I get some that are really cloudy. At one point I thought I was mixing wrong because my first eight recipes weren’t cloudy and then I made for citrusy recipes and they were all cloudy

3 Likes

The occasional cloudy mix is not uncommon. I’ve had it happen a few times but it was never attributed to nicotine.

3 Likes

Okay that’s great to know. I was Abit worried that I was using the nic when it was too cold

4 Likes