Joyetech Espion Silk & NotchCore Review by Amber

Joyetech Espion Silk & NotchCore Kit

So, this has taken a while, I know, but bear with me. The Espion Silk w/ NotchCore was already reviewed brilliantly by our other users, so I won’t drag this into oblivion, but I have found some interesting things by using the device for a while. The Silk w/ NotchCore kit is an 80w device that utilizes the SS304 NotchCoil heads. The Espion Silk w/ NotchCore was provided by Joyetech for this review.

Kit Contents
1 * ESPION Silk
1 * NotchCore atomizer
5 * NotchCoilTM head (0.45ohm)
1 * QC USB cable
2 * Manual
1 * Warranty card
1 * Warning card
Spare parts

The Low Down

The Espion Silk & NotchCore kit is a pretty simplified design. It has a hypoallergenic pads that cover most of the front and sides of the mod, leaving only a few slivers of the underneath showing. I wanted to try bouncing it around to be honest (but decided against it, obviously). The hypoallergenic pads are constructed of Thermoplastic Elastomers, which is usually a mix of plastic and rubbers. They weren’t lying about the comfy part, it is darn comfortable. The TPE is slightly texturized, making for a soft but sleek look. What the pictures of the Silk fail to show you is that underneath the TPE pads, the mod itself is a very lightweight plastic. In fact, most of the weight is strictly the internals and the pads themselves.

The Silk has an 2800mAh internal battery, and is rated for 80w. Users of the older Istick devices will appreciate the 0.69in OLED screen, it is virtually the same as the screen layout of the Eleaf Istick 30w. That’s not a bad thing, I loved the simplicity of my old Istick, still going strong years later. The Silk also has a 2A QC, and charges lightning fast.

The NotchCore tank is a really neat part of this mod kit. I know for a lot of people, the NotchCore didn’t quite take off the way it was intended. It wasn’t a high wattage coil to begin with, and couldn’t really ‘take the heat’. The NotchCoil heads that come with the Silk are different in that they click into place on the gold-plated atomizer base. This ‘re-wickable’ design not only makes the NotchCore simple to use, but economic as well. The wattage range of these coils is around 20-25w for best performance. Airflow is pretty restrictive, and can be closed down for a MTL experience. The flavor is pretty decent and consistent. I really enjoyed that it kept up the flavor, even 4 weeks into the first coils usage. Here’s the important bit for these coils:

This next picture is the first coil used, which came pre-wicked. It has since been wicked a few times using Cotton Bacon, and has been used for over 4 weeks. Now, in this picture, the coil has only been cleaned each time with a very fine bristled brush and a good rinse.

In the next picture, the coil has been cleaned with a fine bristled brush, rinsed, and then pulsed (very briefly) at 5 watts. If you choose to clean the coils by pulsing, stay at 5 watts and under, and fire no more than 2-3 times to increase longevity of the coil.

Marketing and Usage

Now, the marketing here confused me a bit, we will get there in a minute. The kit actually comes with 5 pre-wicked coils, which is not only convenient, but economical in the long run. I really wouldn’t have guessed that the main marketing tactic would be that the mod is ‘hypoallergenic’. It seemed more feasible that ‘Rugged, Economical, and Ease of Use’ would be the main selling points for this kit. My mother has been enjoying this kit as well, and it has been the first atomizer she has actually re-wicked and filled on her own, without help. Until now, I have had to help with every product she has used after quitting smoking around 6-7 months ago. If it were marketed as such a simple device, easy enough for anyone to use and re-wick, it would fly off the shelves.

My only qualm with it would be the price. I really expected a lower price than the first shown retail price, and I also think it should be cheaper than the $53-$59 price tag. It would have made the perfect Economical Vape Kit, known for its ease of use and multiple coils included. The battery life is great for the ohm range and intended wattage of the NotchCoils, and the mod itself is getting great reviews by customers that were tired of repeatedly buying coils.

Still on the first coil of the bunch

Who’s It For?

• Friends and family looking to quit smoking (big pro)
  • Low-wattage vapers
  • People that aren’t quite ready to re-build
  • People that need a convenient, easy to use kit
  • Easier for people with arthritis

Spec-a-roos
Size: 29.540.0120.0mm
Colors: Black, Orange, Brown
Battery capacity: 2800mAh
Kit weight: 141.0g
E-liquid capacity: 2.5ml
Screen: 0.69 inch OLED display
Output: 1-80W
Modes: POWER/BYPASS/TEMP(NI/TI/SS)/TCR(M1/M2/M3)
Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm for TEMP/TCR mode
0.05-3.5ohm for POWER mode

Joyetech Product Page- Espion Silk w/ NotchCore

11 Likes

Well done!! Thanks for the good read!!

2 Likes

Fantastic review with great pictures.
I didn’t have such great luck re-wicking, i’m jealous of your mom, but the replacement coils are going to be cheap and I can handle them easily.
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

It can be a pain to pull through, so I just used my ceramics tweezies to tug the end of the cotton. I was also worried about how to pop it out without damaging it, so I used a tiny flathead to pry one edge up which made it easier. Much easier than trimming for the Subtank she likes, that thing is the ultimate thorn in my side.

2 Likes

Yes I think i was heating the coil too much cleaning them, I had the best luck heating them in TC mode, but they still seemed to deform then leak. I had problems just inspecting the coils then putting the cap back on, they would leak.

Hey it is a great device, expensive because the cost to make it hypoallergenic, and all our vape gear is going to get more expensive as RJ Reynolds crumbles and vaping becomes more popular.

1 Like

Great review @Silhouette, and I appreciate your insights on the coils.

1 Like

Great tutorial on cleaning and re wicking and the background you got for the pics is awesome. Great review as always :+1:

1 Like

Hey thanks!
I actually ran into a little issue regarding the coils in the last few days. After cleanings and some light pulsing, the coil eventually contracts, and no longer fits snugly into the base, and the slightest bump will cause the mod to not read the coil. I of course thought the answer would be to just try to extend the coil gently, so that it fit back into the base, but I thought a new coil was the better option. All in all, not bad for around a 5 week lifespan for a single coil.

3 Likes