Just about to start on my mixing journey

This debate is now getting into a whole new area. I just googled palm VG and there is lots of debate about which is the best kind, palm, soy, coconut, rapeseed, etc, etc. One supplier I found states all their VG base is derived from rapeseed and is 100% palm free because palm apparantly has an environmental impact associated with deforestation. I don’t know how true that is but if so I can imagine, as climate change continues to climb up the political agenda, palm based products may become more and more frowned upon.

I’m only just on the verge of beginning to mix so I’m not going to over complicate things. I’ve decided to try both Darkstar and Chefs so I can compare them. The vaping market is always moving forward so as I learn more if I need to change anything in the future I can do that whenever I want.

7 Likes

Always steer clear of soy, if there is anything not to use… and you are going to do just fine…
Keep it simple… take notes… you will go far even with those 2 things…

I perfer palm myself… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It looks as if most of the UK suppliers use rapeseed sourced from Europe so I imagine that’s what Chefs and Darkstar both sell in the UK.

3 Likes

I believe Indonesia …But could be wrong

4 Likes

@woftam is in Australia and I believe he has to use the rapeseed as well…

3 Likes

Musim mas is from malaysia and indonesia

Edit: Singapore based company with plantations and factory in Indonesia. @fidalgo_vapes was right.

3 Likes

Yes Malaysia is actually what i read in the past…

3 Likes

@MarylinC I’d like to send you a very warm welcome I’m also from the uk and glad to see another English persons. For my flavours I use rainbow vape flavourArt uk chefsflavours uk.
For my nicotine and PG & VG i use nic hub here is a photo of there website. You will learn so much here any question you have even if you think it will be silly it won’t we are here to help we all keep learning new things you can never stop learning.

3 Likes

Just want to say huge thanks to everyone who has helped me so far with advice.

I finally mixed my first recipes yesterday. I did a clone of Naked Lava Flow I found on here and my very first test batch came out brilliantly. In fact, having tried the proper branded version, this recipe is a huge improvement. I found the branded bottle had a fairly unpleasant chemically taste whereas the recipe was just lovely.

In the end, I decided to buy two makes of VG and PG bases (Darkstar and Chefs). They both seem excellent and a whole world away from the VG base I got from Liberty Flights a few years back which was vile.

I’ve slightly modified my Lave Flow recipe to my own taste and now it is completely gorgeous.

My other recipe for a Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream wasn’t so good so I need to play around with it to try and get it how I want it but I’ll figure that out by just looking at the different flavours and brands others have used in their recipes until I find what I want.

I bought a very accurate kitchen scale so I can weigh all my ingredients which has allowed me to start by making very small 5ml test batches. Then once I have the recipes they way I want them I can start making 120ml bottles.

9 Likes

Well done with your first diy mix the best bit is how cheap it is to make with your icecream there is so many icecream flavours I’ve tried so many and most of them i pick up a pepper note which is so off putting when I’m after a good icecream i highly recommend you getting
Vanilla Ice Cream - Liquid Barn it is fantastic flavour i use it a lot it’s versatile if you want to add a cream/dairy notes to a mix. Keep mixing and have lots of fun in your mixing journey and save £££

4 Likes

Also would it be possible for you to make your flavour stash public so we all can see what your working with and help you.

3 Likes

Sure. I’m new on here so I just need to figure out how to do it.

I also need to give credit to the person who uploaded the Lava Flow recipe I used.

5 Likes

At the top you can rate it with :star::star::star::star::star: and comment at the bottom

4 Likes

It take a while to work things out

3 Likes

Thanks. I just rated it.

This is the Lava Flow recipe I used to begin with.
Naked 100 Lava Flow by b_dlight

5 Likes

Am i right your using mesh pro digi flavour

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of Digiflavor.

It’s a Freemax Mesh Pro tank with a 0.15ohm triple Kanthal coil which i’m vaping at 95W.

The flavour and cloud production are amazing.

4 Likes

I’ve just uploaded my modified recipe for Lava Flow.

MarylinC’s Creamy Lava Flow Clone

3 Likes

If you’re serious about mixing and trying out things to make your own recipes, you should have a look at rebuildables. Either go for a RDA (dripper or squonker) or an RTA (tank) to curb the costs. Check out the hardware reviews section on the forum to read about the good and the bad…
Changing flavors with commercial coils can become expensive quickly and making your own coils really isn’t difficult to do. It’s quick, easy and cheap to change out coil and cotton on a rebuildable.

With a rebuildable atty, you also control what metal and wick you use for your atty instead of having to rely on coil manufacturers. https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/ is a good place to buy either wire or ready made coils, wicks, etc. I personally prefer SS or Ti because of the flavor and they both offer temperature protection against dry hits. You can’t use that with Kathal and Nichrome.

8 Likes