Kayfun Prime LEAKS!

Many experts here … This week I went back to using a Kayfun Prime that I had left aside a long time ago.
For a few days I was asking my buttons: “why stop using it if it tastes so good?”
Suddenly, without any warning, for no apparent reason, I come across leaks through the hole in his air intake … there is the reason why I “leaned” against him.
I started researching and it seems to me that it is a hopeless case, with no solution.
My last resort is that maybe someone here has managed to solve this type of leak that is very characteristic, known and specific to Kayfun prime. Someone uses? Suggestions?

3 Likes

Without seeing the Kayfun my guess is that there may be too much cotton. The chamber wit the coil is flooding causing your juice to leak out the vents. Rewick and see how it goes. Cotton expands when wet and it may be damning at the well.

3 Likes

Thank you @rcleven
I have already tried in many ways and in research I have seen a post with the same leak problem that rules out being cotton for having modified it in all ways and there was no change to more or less in the leaks
In the case of this post (on reddit) there was no solution …
Anyway there may really be no solution. I’m sorry because it has a solid construction and a good taste.

3 Likes

I have two KF Primes and not one leaks. Did it leak in the past?
When something goes awry with a Kayfun it’s usually the o-rings. The clones have crappy o-rings and should be replaced sooner rather than later. You say reddit said there’s no solution but did they say what the problem was? How do you know there’s no solution if you don’t know what the problem is?

The first o-ring to go is the #8 deck o-ring. Try replacing that first. You must have spares in your box. Also, keep it well lubed with VG.

ETA: Are you sure you have both JF and AF closed when filling? Try holding your KF upside down before reopening the AF. That may help the tank pressure.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I appreciate the answer @muth I think it would be unlikely (or should not occur) problems with oring´s considering that since the leak presented again. From the first days.
On the other hand, I don’t know if your Prime is the original (and so I already imagine that an option may be that of a manufacturing defect … mine is a clone).
So the Oring’s exchange will not be discarded.

The video from @SessionDrummer already gives an idea of this change although it is another model (V4).

LITE = Good flavor, Automatic (no need for regular liquid), very few leaks,
V3 = Good flavor, very little leak.
PRIME = Good flavor, Constant leaks.
And the sad thing is that I always use: 80% vg and 20% pg which should help prevent / reduce leaks.

2 Likes

Oiy, the V4 was an engineering disaster from the standpoint of over engineering. When I watched Grimm Greens review on it I decided no way, I’ll wait for the next generation. The 2019 was KF’s return to it’s basic simplicity. It’s no surprise so many have been sold. I liked the Prime, V5, but even then, JF control isn’t really needed when you dumb it down. Their selling point was the top fill but you had to close the JF first then reset it again. It was more or less a guessing game of how many tank rotations you needed. You looked for the air bubbles to know you hit it right.

2 Likes

The slightest change in mechanical tolerances, that can happen with clones, is enough to cause problems. Before buying my Prime clone I spent much time on the Fasttech forum to find out which clone(s) performed properly.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy:
That’s right, very fun at the beginning!
But it becomes tiring afterwards.

3 Likes

Hey, how did you get me to speak Portuguese? :laughing:

2 Likes

damn google! :laughing:

2 Likes

I have a few authentic Kayfun Prime’s and none leak. And I have Kayfun’s going back to 2013’s KFL.

Faulty o-rings will cause leaking (vacuum not maintained).

Poor wicking — not enough in coil — will absolutely cause leaks.

If the shoulders of your wick are touching the center AF block it is also possible that you have juice seeping down and out through the AF. Very simple solution, move the shoulders of your wick away from the center AF block. You can use a pin or a paperclip for that, easy.

Good luck.

4 Likes