Kitchenware and Cooking Gadgets 👩‍🍳

On diners, drive-ins, and dives I saw a restaurant somewhere in the Midwest that has recycled the same deep fryer oil since they opened the store however many decades ago…so what’s on the menu? The same thing that it’s always been ever since we got in business lol

4 Likes

Hey…:thinking: perhaps guests should not ask the cook questions about things which they may not like the answers. They should just sit back and appreciate what’s laid before them, as any guest should do. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This place?

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635

3 Likes

“ If you feel uneasy about burgers fried in “ancient grease,” the restaurant does say that the grease is strained every day. So it’s clean 100-year-old grease.”

Yes! Yes, I would feel “uneasy”!

:nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Yep that’s it lol

2 Likes

How to season cast iron. Yes Vergina you can use soap.

3 Likes

@TiWi1 After many marginal Juicer fails/messes I use a Champion Juicer Legacy 3000. I got mine at an Estate Sale for $12 but full price is a little steep @ $335. I likely wouldn’t own one at that price but you can buy them used for much less. I use mine regularly to make frozen fruit sorbets. Just press frozen fruit through there like you’re juicing and out comes super smooth all natural “ice cream” Yum! frozen watermelon sorbet! It works because it’s motor looks like something from a bandsaw. Yeah it juices almost anything except wheatgrass but you can buy an attachment for that (microjuicer)

5 Likes

I enjoy cooking, but don’t have tons of gadgets. Mainly just the basics. However, I have been using a Ninja Foodi for the past 2 years and love it. Probably about 2/3 of my meals are prepared with it. Monday was pot roast using the pressure cooker mode. It was delicious. Last week was a taco, pasta casserole (a new found recipe on Youtube) and it was great. The air crisp function works wonderfully for chicken wings, fish fillets and hash brown patties. Steamed broccoli comes out perfect. I can’t even remember everything I’ve cooked with it, but haven’t had a bad meal yet. My housemates love the meals, and I enjoy seeing others enjoy the food.

7 Likes

This has been a great thread. I believe making your own fresh foods may be one of the greatest secrets to consistent good health. Not to be gross but regular bouts of diarrhea (food poisoning) have all but disappeared after stopping back-to-back Restaurant meals. On that food “safety”, my favorite toy is a long thermometer I got on Amazon. Especially microwavable food, making sure it’s to temperature …the only reason I used to get that random rumbling food poisoning from time to time.

Frozen food is rarely uncontaminated with bacteria, and all have warning on the box. A nice long (accurate!) thermometer has been a 100% solution. This is the one I got to check the temp heating VG for my GC homogenizer recipes. Works a charm on frozen meatballs that seem sizzling hot on the outside (microwave) but still 125 degrees F in the center …guaranteed a properly cooked (yet juicy) turkey too at TGiving. Here’s the one I bought …super accurate …also magnetic, so it permanently sticks on my Mic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7NJ7HN/

On Kitchen Gadgets here’s a cool item if you find yourself in the market for a new microwave (new house?) I’ve had positive results with Breville products, and this could replace several countertop space hogs …the Combi Wave.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/microwaves/bmo870.html

7 Likes

That’s why I use a traditional oven. It takes longer and I know it sounds weird coming from someone who loathes cooking, but here it is.
Like you, my insides do not do very well on restaurant food so I do make shit myself from scratch.
I cook portions large enough to feed an orphanage and put it in the freezer in portions.
That way I keep the cooking to a bare minimum and still have homemade dinner everyday.

7 Likes

Using my Ninja Foodi this afternoon to make some homemade chili and beans. I’ve added onion, red, yellow and red peppers to get some veggies into the mix. Should be done in about an hour. It’s frigid here in Denver, so chili and beans sounded warm and homey. Hope it turns out tasty.

2 Likes

My favorite kitchen gadget;
Vitamix 5200
I found it at an overstock store for just under $150. I wanted one for a couple years but paying $450.00 for a blender was out of the question. I use it almost daily. It makes delicious almond and peanut butter.

4 Likes

Im not sure why the full picture didn’t post.

1 Like

Wow, you really scored with that one .I’ve wanted one of those or a Nama 5800 for a while now

3 Likes

I 10000 % agree !! Which is why i grow as much of my own food as possible.

4 Likes

I recently purchased this juicer. So far so good. So far, i have juiced carrots, greens, apples and oranges… Clean up is easy. I try to juice three days worth of juice at time.

4 Likes

Robin, way cool. My ex-wife and I had a Vitamix and loved it. She got it in the divorce. Now I am using a Ninja, and though it is not a Vitamix, it does great. That you got your Vitamix for $150 was a great deal.

4 Likes

It does when you click on it, you’ll go straight to Imgur. Nice looking device :+1:

3 Likes

@Robin nice choice of (specifically Masticating) juicer. The thing I like about my Champion is the huge 1/3 HP motor (heavy!). I have a Vitamix so I only use the Beasty for destroying frozen fruit into instant sorbet, but it requires another optional micro head for juicing greens like spinach and wheatgrass.

The additional hundred(s) of bucks you likely saved could buy a buncha sorbets from the store tho :wink: Ever try to run some frozen watermelon through that thing? …maybe not use the filter?

2 Likes

No, but i will definitly try it.

I didn’t know that there was an attachment to make juice with a vitamix…I’ve tried several times and its time consuming and messy. I blend then strain through a nut milk bag.

1 Like