Laptop help ( Not vape related)

I’ve owned many laptops - my first guess is it is turning off to protect the rest of the system (from over heating). You do not seemed to be too worried about loss of content on the lap top…it should be recoverable as long as the parts have not began to melt so badly an expert can’t clone it. Someone mentioned a fan not working - thats my guess also. If you leave it on while you sleep all night that it will age it. [Ask me how I know :slight_smile: ]

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Lab Talk - DAAP

Its a fairly new laptop. I store everything on an external hard drive and in icloud. I lost everything when my last laptop crashed because i didn’t back everything up. I only had a few pics on this one.

Yes, unfortunately . I do leave it on at night about 2-3 nights a week. I thought that it would just automatically turn off if idle for too long.

2 Likes

@robin, did you ever find that model number ? Where do you stand on it now ? Had a chance to try anything or troubleshoot it ?

@Lois_Lane thanks a ton for the information, I find it very interesting.

2 Likes

Model :14-DK0002DX
Best Buy: HP 14" Laptop AMD A9-Series 4GB Memory AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 128GB Solid State Drive Ash Silver 14-DK0002DX
I will not be buying another one of these.

2 Likes

They told me that there was some water damage. I don’t remember spilling anything on it. At least they still gave me a full refund.

5 Likes

Well, I did have one from work, that was an AMD, with very little RAM, that was never very good. It was totally underpowered, and almost unusable, at least for W10.

3 Likes

I used to work in a computer workshop, according to the people working there, HP stood for Hopeless Product :grin:

4 Likes

I know there’s a big anti apple sentiment but I’d say two things ( as a career IT guy)

1. they just work
  2. when they don’t work apple phone support and product repair / replacement is very very good
    2a) they do occasionally get software issues way down the road when things inevitably get crappified, repairing them is easier for the average person.

I’ve done a lot of total cost of ownership
Studies and in every scenario apple laptops are cheaper over the course of 3-5 years.(well not the super high end graphic design videographer ones necessarily, that’s close)

Long term career IT people often own apple products at home because they just don’t want to have to “work” at home. It’s why I didn’t use android. I am a windows user (I have a surface right now but can’t recommend it)

As for your current laptop -

Is it on battery power or mains when it shuts down? If mains it’s unlikely to be a battery calibration issue. YoubstTed you got a new surge protector so I’m thinking it happens when plugged in. If it has a removable battery - remove it and use it plugged in without a battery, see if it still happens.

If it’s on battery when it shuts down then it may be that, maybe you said the answer to that question and I missed it but it’s an important fact of the troubleshooting

4 Likes
3 Likes

LOOOOOVE the spam song !!!

3 Likes