Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

2 Likes

Specifics.
These drip tips… to give scale to the size.
The outside diameter is around 9/16" .5625 or there about after finish sanding and polishing on the buffer wheel.
The inside diameter (bore) is .230" or just under 1/4". The height is roughly 5/8" or .625"
The size puts it in between a “skinny” and “wide bore” drip tip. No where near being a RDA “chuff”.
I find this quite comfortable on the lips and the polished acrylic is very smooth to the touch without the metal that comes with stainless steel drip tips. Acrylic and Delrin both dissipate heat very quickly. This makes for a very comfortable and enjoyable vape.

1 Like

The morning’s work.
They still need a final polishing and cleaning after the inserts are made. But there are some purdy one’s in there.

12 Likes

These are sweet, brother…excellent work!

4 Likes

Thank you very much sir!
Kinda fun to make and it gets me out of the house. This morning my gurrrage was a bit of a burrrrage. Damned cold.

6 Likes

OK, I’m done for the day. LOL My hands got so cold I couldn’t grab a chuck key.

Not bad for a Sunday’s day at it.
Regards to you all.

9 Likes

Nice work, Brad! They look great. Are the green ones bigger or is that just the camera angle?

2 Likes

Thanks!
They are a bit bigger, and the camera angle. They are .02" bigger. I started to see some stuff show in the middle one that I didn’t want to cut out, so I left it. Chock it up to artistic liberty? I did say artistic not autistic…had to double check. LOL
One of the moments I prefer manual over CNC. A CNC machine cuts the same way, every time. There are occasions when this isn’t desirable. Say hello to that occasion. :smiley:

3 Likes

CNC absolutely has it’s place. I consider this more of an artistic endeavor. So play away and call it on the fly. I noticed one of the blue ones was shorter. . .but again, there is the charm of a hand-made item. That’s what makes it worth more than a fastech drip tip to me anyway. Thanks.

I have an electric heater in my garage that will just keep it tolerable. BUT, for $100 I went to Lowe’s and bought a propane tube furnace that is really nice. Probably a good idea to have a CO detector in the garage if you go that route. I just ask my wife to turn it off and open the doors if she finds me unconscious.

5 Likes

That is one thing I can appreciate. I grew up in a wood shop. And I made a lot of things on my dad’s Shopsmith lathe. When ya see something cool pop up in the middle of a cut you get scared to make another cut for fear of losing that detail. That is one thing a CNC just can’t do.

I worked at a custom wood shop. We made fine furniture and moulding for big contractors building houses in the fancier subdivisions. Crown moulding measuring 12" wide. It was amazing work, and the owner, Roger, was an artist. I later went to work for a snotty owner of a large CNC wood shop. He made a comment one day about Roger’s work and that it wasn’t as good as the work his CNC’s did. I almost got fired when I told him he was full of shit.

3 Likes

I almost fired up the Reddy Heater. It just wasn’t “that” cold. But still cold enough to get to me after several hours. Silk long johns, long sleeve T, heavy insulated hoody, knit watch cap, heavy sox and insulated work boots. (light layers) It took awhile for the cold to set in on me, but it did. Nothing a HOT shower couldn’t get rid of though.

2 Likes

Without doubt CNC has it’s place. There is also good reason that hand crafted goods carry the price they do. Not everybody wants “cookie cutter” production goods. Thankfully, there are still artisans out there with the skills required to “hand craft” goods.
I have had a DIY mindset for many years. I started playing electric bass at age 13. By age 24 I had hand crafted from scratch an electric bass. Later, I crafted another. The first one was definitely a “first effort”. It has it’s flaws and pretty much sits in a closet and goes unplayed. The second, where as it has it’s flaws, they are more cosmetic in nature and to the layman, not noticed. I know they are there, but probably I am the only person that would notice them. I have turned down $3500.00 for the second one. It is a great sounding, beautiful playing instrument. I have also crafted furniture and other objects. It’s nice to have a garage full of tooling that allows me now to do pretty much what I want when it comes to crafting “stuff” when I set my mind to it.
My problem is I can be lazy and I stay pretty busy doing other stuff, and many times prefer to be lazy. I tend to work smart, not hard. Some jackass a long time ago stated that “Necessity is the mother of all invention.” Bullshit! LAZINESS is the mother of all invention! LOL

3 Likes

LOL. II think we must be related somehow. Because I am the same way.

I will order one of the tips when you get some of the other materials in. I am not going to request a material. So I am waiting to see pics and be taken by one of them. I like the blue and bronze. But I can’t wait to see some other colors. Keep at it man. I know it gets to be mundane and monotonous. But you are doing some amazing work.

4 Likes

Coming from such an artisan as yourself, those words mean a great deal to me. Thank you!
More are coming. I’m still having fun with this and I still have a lot of my own tanks to make tips for. I won’t make just one. It’s easier to make several at a time. So no worries there. As weather and time permit, more will be posted. I have several orders to fill yet. THANKS TO YOU PEEPS! You know who you are!. And I am more than OK with @daath (Lars) continuing to benefit from my labors in this. I have been a webmaster in my past and I know first hand it is a very thankless job and much time goes into maintaining a site of this magnitude. He earned every last penny donated a long time ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, my late brother was one of the founding members of RuneHQ (Runescape game fan site). He owned two of the 5 seats of the site. It cost $10,000 per month to keep the site operating when it got big.

3 Likes

Brad stop! You’re turning the forum into a voyeur text site now? I’m so hot I need a shower now too. Silk drawers you say? Mmmm.

Haha, love to do that stuff when folks talk about what they wear. I’m mental, I know.

I also have a decked out 1981 ShopSmith with a lot of other tools. I’m not much of a woodworker though. Im Better turning wrenches on cars. I’m only up to 600 crank hp NA on pump gas…from 347CID. So nothing too too crazy.

1 Like

What always got me… If you went for the 700 hp mark on that 347, it would cost you double what getting to 600 did.
Cubic $$$$
Don’t be hating on the silk long johns. They WORK. LOL

1 Like

I went to my vape shop tonight and showed the boys there your drip tips for the Aromamizer. I think you will have 2 more orders coming soon for some black tips. Hi Joe and Wafi :smiley:

1 Like

WHOOT!! Awesome! Thanks! :slightly_smiling:

I was thinking of ordering some solid black acrylic anyway.

1 Like

Just needs nitrous and a crank. I could have stayed mostly stock and put on a blower, but i went the expensive route. Normally Aspirated. Anyway, the heads, intake, oil pump, etc…we’re CNCd and hand finished by the then head of engineering of Airflow Research, Tony Mamo. His heads make a lot of power, he is crazy nice. Car scares the crap outta me. Spins the tires shifting into 3rd at 90mph with three dudes in the seats. Not bad for NA stock displacement motor. (Sorry 4 threadjack!)

1 Like