Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

Thanks guys and gals!
It was a bit of work, but once I got a work flow going and got my tooling lined out it was smooth sailing, making chips and buffer dust. BTW, the black one goes to Lars. :slight_smile: He let me pick and had told me he prefers darker colors so…what the King wants…
I got that lathe from my Grandfather (my dad’s dad). He bought it used back in the early 70’s. I learned how to operate a lathe and do basic machine work on that thing… before I turned 15. Later in life I ran much larger machines and at one point I found myself fabricating hydraulic cylinders for everything from Case back hoe’s to Caterpiller D-9 high drives to car crushing cylinders for salvage yards. The latter was no small feat given that they had an inside bore diameter of 16", OD of 20" and where 14 feet long. It usually took me half a days work just to get it chucked and indicated in, then 4 days to do the machine work on it. Chasing threads on something that big… its a bit of a chore. LOL
I digress, THANKS! again. :smiley:

2 Likes

Brad, my hat’s off to you sir! Not just for your craftsmanship, nor your time you dedicated to the project, but also for selflessly giving back to your community and the ELR donations! What a guy!

2 Likes

Excellent work, brother! Each and every one o dem little gems have such a great story behind them…I’m privileged and honored to own not one, but two o dem! Thanks…in advance and in future!

THANKS!
Giving and community seem to be a common theme here at ELR. For what you all have shared with the world with regards to your knowledge in mixing, flavors and all things vape related, it is a small gesture on my part.
Hey, I still have material left, some $ in my PayPal account that will probably go to the vaping industry on some level, and my hobby/habit becomes a little self supportive.
Win/Win/Win/Win
Everybody gains!

2 Likes

A few notes. Primarily I started this project as a way to have a nice drip tip for the Aromamizer. In that, it works very well. The 2 piece assembly works very well. The fit is snug, so once you put it on, it may take a bit of effort to remove. not much, just a bit. I suggest putting the 2 pieces together and then place it on the Aromamizer. This will leave a bit of gap between the chimney on the cap, and the bottom shoulder of the insert and will give you something to grab onto.The fit between the insert and the acrylic is also snug, but needed to be a bit looser to avoid cracking the acrylic. Gluing delrin to anything else is possible, but I don’t think any of us want that stuff near our mouths.
I extended the insert enough in length that it will also work on most other 510 atomizers. The fit on the OBS Crius is tight. Damned tight. Looser on the Indulgence Mutation X MT RTA. Snug on the Bellus. The fit on the Kanger Subtank Mini is good. The Joytech Delta II…it will probably fall out on its own. There is too much variance in tolerances between manufacturers. Since it is a friction fit and no o-rings are used, this is the downside to that convenience.

2 Likes

@daath PM me your postal address! LOL

1 Like

@bradslinux wow these tips are beautiful! do you have a website? Etsy? Ebay?? I defnitely want to purchase a few!!!

:sob:

Heh… Ok, I tell you what… YOU decide, based on
which you think I’ll like best. Aromamizer or TFV4 drip tip…
Purple, Blue, or Green… whatever. I’m going to want
the one you send me!

3 Likes

Didn’t you give your TFV4 away?

Yes, I did. And @ringling (the sweetie) is sending me one. I think he doesn’t like it because he does MTL and the TFV4, well… you know.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. I have slept since I read that. Hard to keep track of all the good deeds on this site LOL.

3 Likes

Been looking into making the resin blanks. It’s really pretty easy.

This guy shows a basic way of doing it. He doesn’t get much detail into his blanks because he just pours a couple colors into his PVC tube molds. But if you got creative with the pouring and stabbing something into at intervals during the pour and using more than 2 colors you could get some nice crazy patterns. I have been watching lots of videos on it and the pros don’t share their secrets it seems. But it’s just a matter of the technique used to pour and how you agitate the mixtures to get the swirling effect.

The rectangular blanks are easier to pour and get creative with which is why you see so many more of those I am assuming.

And then there is the ribbon blanks. This is a 3 part series.

2 Likes

Thanks! No website, this thing just kind of happened recently. LOL.
The drip tips are $25.00 each. You can PM me for more info.

2 Likes

LOL I’ll surprise you. The green one for sure. I already made it. I haven’t made the insert yet, and LV just PM’d me the measurements for a TFV4. :wink: The TFV4’s bore is a bit tighter, so it won’t be interchangeable. :frowning:

1 Like

It is also shallower than most.

1 Like

That’s my only real complaint on the TF4V. Most standard 510s won’t sit flush.

1 Like

That is awesome! If you ever decide to market these, I’d be interested.

Interested in how many?

1 Like

Oh, not resale or anything. Just a couple of nice ones for personal use.

1 Like

Howdy all,
All the drip tips have been shipped! WHOOHOOO!!!
All but Lars should have theirs by Friday or Saturday I would hope.
@daath You may get yours sometime next spring. LOL J/K. I hope they get their soon. I couldn’t get a tracking number for yours.
Everybody else, if you want a tracking number (USPS) PM me.

@Lostmarbles you can place an order anytime. PM me for more info.

6 Likes