Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

No doubt!!!

1 Like

talent my friend just awesome… very well done!!!

1 Like

I realize it is twice the work. But the idea of the delrin core as you have done to solve the problem with the Aromamizer is an engineering marvel my friend. You did what most engineers can’t. You have simplified a design to eliminate some very tricky machine work. Most people don’t understand shit like that. You obviously have some mad skills. I really think you should stick with the core and leave it so that is what your tip mates to.

1 Like

Ya’ll are gonna give me the big head. (That’s hillbilly for a big ego). LV you honor me. Thanks buddy. It seemed the most simple solution. Actually, the simple friction fit is the most simple, but I doubt Chinese tolerances will allow for it. I need to order more Delrin. LOL

1 Like

You might be surprised. Not to get off on a Chinese tangent again. But they have becomes pretty damn good at making shit. My barrel measure .414" on the OD, and .338" on the ID. My drip tip measure .3375" on the small OD (see - there is what I am talking about). Perfect fit. Well, I would have made it a .0003" slip :wink:

1 Like

Not bad. I get .4147" on the OD and .339" on the ID (I hate t-gauges). I will have to turn the Delrin insert for a .0005" to .001" tight fit with a nice soft tapered lead. Delrin will compress quite a bit. Thanks for checking the dimensions. :smiley: I suspect they will hold tolerance on the ID and let the OD drift a bit. It isn’t critical for their application.

1 Like

I would imagine just to keep the blend from the barrel to the drip tip nice and smooth they probably keep that within a thousandth or so. Every one I have seen has been damn near perfectly flush from tip to barrel.

Oh, and I am measuring with calipers. I have checked a known diameter with them (gage pin) and I can get a repeatable accurate measurement within .0005". But I don’t have anything here to check the ID measurement of the calipers accurately.

2 Likes

When I actually am standing at the lathe, I’ll use a caliper, but I had a micrometer and t-gauge handy. Taking measurements is an art form all it’s own. Never really worried too much to the .000x" unless doing surface grinding. I will probably come up with a go / no go gauge for actually making them.

2 Likes

Good idear. Does your lathe have a 4-jaw chuck? That is my only concern as our CNC’s won’t hold onto square stock. Otherwise I would have something in the works already for my tanks. But I can chuck it up in the mill and mill 6 tips at the same time. It would just require a set of machined soft jaws for the second operation to finish the back side. They do sell some round bars. But not in the selection they have for the square.

1 Like

4-jaw, 3-jaw scroll, and even a fairly large Jacob’s that fits my lathe spindle. The Jacob’s is VERY handy for doing small parts :wink:
The spindle will only pass-through .750" stock. It’s like me I guess, “old school” LOL.

OK, now you have me wanting to buy machines! LOL

2 Likes

Off to breakfast and stuff to do, ya’ll make it a super day!

3 Likes

0.4135 and 0.3370" OD/ID on mine. Seems pretty consistent.

2 Likes

My we are a bunch of geeks huh? :smiley:

2 Likes

While you guys are geeking ouit on specifics, let me get all general here. Question Brad, if you stay with the two material design are you planning to make it two separate pieces or somehow adhere the one to the other? As a person who knows precisely squat, I think it makes more sense for it to remain 2 pieces. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I think it would best to adhere them together. A little drop of Acetone should do it. But I am not sure if that melts Delrin. Surely something similar will melt both plastics and fuse them together. This is an old Model Railroading trick when assembling models.

1 Like

First let me say @bradslinux Very cool drip tip Sir you did a fine job making it.

Also I was looking to glue 2 Delrin pieces together (a 510 drip tip and the 510 adapter to my velocity) and did some searching about it and seems to me as I remember, it is almost impossible to truly glue it to itself anyway so I gave up on what I was trying to accomplish

1 Like

Thanks LR. My reasoning is that acrylic seems to hold up longer than Delrin. So if they are two separate pieces an the delrin degrades then it could be a replaceable part. Is this thinking off?

1 Like

Delrin is pretty durable. It is used in control arms of 4-links on drag cars and Pro-Street cars driven daily. So I don’t think it’s going to wear enough to be an issue on a drip tip.

1 Like

To adhere Delrin:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

1 Like

Yes, Delrin is pretty tough stuff. It is used as a bearing (bushing) material commonly and has very good wear characteristics. It wears so well because it is slicker than snot.

1 Like