Let's talk about "Blue Raspberry"

I’ve come to realize that if you hear someone saying bad things about FLV flavors, you should find out how high and how low they were tried.

If someone used them at 1.5-2% (or above) and never went back to try them at 0.13-1%, it was probably user error, not a bad flavor.

3 Likes

For tartness, I bet a little bit of Cranberry would do wonders.

2 Likes

To me that blue lush is awful tasted like paraffin :nauseated_face: I’m just glad i didn’t pay cash for it chefsflavours UK sent it me free with a order

2 Likes

Before I get to the point I finally got all the recipes you guys sent me done and steeping now. With getting a new place setting up my vape layer and having a relative with stage 4b cancer that is pretty close to the end having issues non-stop, will naturally free up more time soon…

Somebody on Reddit posted a review on WF Sour Blue Raz that he loved and with that being besides probably CAP Lemon Lime I’ll revisit I started to write about the journey I went through breaking down the process of what a bitch it was and how I had to maybe accept the fact that with my theory of Blueberry/Raspberry that I worked on forever, especially the early days like trying to fit in FW Blueberry no matter what because it’s the OG was the true foundation to build on unlike what other people said to maybe not even using a Raspberry due to what’s out there on the market at all and get the same results using other berry flavors.

I’m going to fast track this a bit and not start from square one because I always wanted to shoot out of the gates swinging with this being my first release but then it became my “heisenberg” white whale of sorts but on a mix that’s subjective. But I need to jump out of this rabbit hole. While I have other betas and stuff I haven’t released anything at all, although my standards are crazy high and wouldn’t have put out a lot anyways until I’m 100% content and not put out a recipe just to put one out, I want to start working on a few profiles that I think deserve attention too, like a solid grape, a solid green apple, a fruit/pudding mix with FLV Creme de Menthe the primary and a proper anise/mint type niche needs help too.

I’m done buying flavors 100% now so no excuses and I still want to do a 2nd version of your more syrup based sweet blue raz and less than those plastic frozen 10 inch long freezees (not Jolly Rancher like) that I remember as a kid and probably so old now that I got it wrong in my head but I remember it smoked all other “fruit” flavored by a mile. Blue > Red won over the slushee battle too. 7-11 wasn’t that big but here but in places like K-Mart there would be those slushies with the red and blue (go figure) signature cup and blew away 7-11’s version.

I didn’t send the message because I was going to proof read it first but I’ll dig it up and talk about what worked and didn’t, what direction to start off in, and give all the flavors that would be in the rotation which I need to get to, and any help from the community would be great and would help speed up the process, because people smarter than me will unlock the puzzle anyways, but again I could care less if it had my name on it or not, I just want something unique and different than your cookie-cutter copy cat game that has gone on since Apex’s Frost came out and nobody has gone outside hardcore out of the box like that and that is 100% what it’s going to take because it has to be complex and there’s no way around it.

So besides FW Blueberry there and coming to terms that so much time was wasted by scrapping Raspberries (not WF Boysenberry-Raspberry) and possibly lemons too where lime might actually better with the malic/citric acid that of course is a huge balancing cluster too. INW Malina, FA, FW Razzle is still in play though, but towards the end last time that was what I was thinking because you can get the same effect or better using other berries/currants/bilberries/boysen/grape to not only get the same effect be able to stand up and allow you to be able to push HS Blueberry higher which I learned was the key. When you can tame the bully and allow it to stretch its legs out more the better. Then the fun begins with malic/citric, but that list got short quick. FE/SC Lemon, VT Sour Lemon, CAP Again, VT Persian Lime, FLV Lime, FLV Lemonade, FLV Sour Apple, WF Sour Ball Candy, Revisit WF Sour Ball, WF Pixie Sticks, OOO Blue Raspberry Candy, OOO Blue Raspberry Squares… probably forgetting a few. Then trim the fat more and stick with only the 2 true blue raspberries that would stand a chance in EUR and FR Electric Blue.

Again my goal is not to make it too candy yet not too sweet, but a nice punch and won’t have to put in 1% WS-23 in it either, which I’m fine with, and not a fan of Polar Blast (read the spec sheet) but 3:1 ratio or something but letting the accents carry it where 1% WS-23 .20% Polar like some push just distracts and will take away and hurt the the mix.

I’ll get a list going of what all I’m going to use so people can see what they have and I don’t mind sending out 2ml or whatever, if I have enough stuff for people if they have time and want to mix but are missing some flavors which is going to happen because in this case simple is not better and it’s going to take multiple flavors from multiple companies to actually get this right. The fact that blue raspberry is obviously a #1 or close to the very top seller across the board from flavor companies to regular e–juice companies yet chemists and mixolgists from places like FLV can’t figure it out or come close, how the F am I supposed to do it? In this case you throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks by using a combo of berries acid and coolants and see what sticks. However, we can do it the classy way and throw pieces at the wall one at a time gently.

4 Likes

Ok… where to finally start. First off, F keeping it simple which for some reason is taboo now… If that was the case a flavor company would have nailed it, like TPA Honey for example, add your coolant/sweet/sour and that’s a wrap. Nope, but in 2020 we naturally have the best flavors in DIY history, WF stepping up last year like no other, which a lot of the new ones are 100% viable in this profile, we have tools to work with. Same deal with grapes and mangos for example, you have to combo them with another or a very similar flavor because companies just down have it down yet, in 10 years maybe, but not now otherwise we’d be just SFT most flavors and that’s not the case at all. So we have to do the heavy lifting to get it right for something they get paid for.

Let’s just blast through BB’s which I don’t have all of them like FLV/CAP/VSO/MF/FA/VT/SC or BB like flavors that is worth picking up, like VT Bilberry Ripe, PUR Boysenberry Perserves or many Raspberry/Berry flavors worth picking up, but I will.

Let’s do a quick baseline using some common and not so common blueberry flavors to start off with. I debated forever on what direction to go with by adding one common flavor against all of them instead of doing a STF. I want to blow by in 2 phases and knock out tons of blueberry flavors and then work with only ones worth using.

I wanted to keep it simple using only one proven flavor, at a very low %, to combo the blueberry to get a feel on how different they interact with it compared to others, how pronounced the blueberry is, if it comes off as candy/jammy, dry/chalky or a bit juicy etc… So FA Bilberry, INW Malina, FA Raspberry, and even another BB in FW. Other not so common ones were VT Boysenberry and WF Raspberry-Boysenberry Shisha Raz/Malina combo, Razzelberry but those aren’t common flavors where people can’t play at home.

So I’m stumped really. Naturally all the BB’s will be totally different which is why the other flavor has to be low so it doesn’t bully it or alter it that much so you can still get kind of a SFT but also fast track so we can have a good blueberry(ish) base to work with. Getting the base is the key and most likely there will probably be 2-4 or if need be even more because you don’t want to pigeon hole yourself with only one base because when you are 4 flavors deep and it’s good but not great you can’t find that 5th one to make it complete where the other base’s same 5th flavor unlocked the puzzle. If you want to make a “great” mix you might have to throw 80(0) iterations at it which isn’t done that much these days.

The good thing with making at least 2 versions of blue raspberry, and probably more from people who lurked or helped in here and are 100% content with the mix and throw it up, it’s totally subjective. With working with more than one base you’ll get to know how the accents work real quick and while it doesn’t work in one, the light bulb will go off and you know for a fact it will be perfect in the other “jammy” one for example because we needed more sour in that one where it overtook the one you mixed. It won’t be impossible because we aren’t working with a dessert or a tropical for example, we are doing 1 dominate flavor in blueberry/raspberry, it’s just to find the right combo and %.

What I was leaning towards always was is the simple yet effective method and that’s just throwing probably .30% of WF Sour Ball Candy to brighten all of them up so that way a flavor that we might not use like NR Blue Rasperry Taffy because it’s just ok, but when you add a booster all of a sudden it kicks some ass.

Going 3 deep off the gate might F everything up because we are adding too much but if that was the case it would be that and very low, like .10% of INW Malina because most are familiar with that flavor.

If you have any opinions let me know but I’ll think about it and throw out some BB’s with %‘s to use which I’m pretty sure I can hit it close when it’s basically a SFT so that way we can all be on the same page % wise so it won’t be tainted like using a syringe for your nicotine, then all of a sudden you realized that syringe went into your bottle and got in the juice and then you went back into the nicotine to add more. We’ll play it smart from the beginning so we don’'t have to figure out we should have added VG at the end so you didn’t F up your expensive huge batch of nic from Carolina Express that set you back $80.

5 Likes

Men I’m trying to get some flavour out of this bb things but it’s hard. I use kayfun lite 2019 @ around 15 watts. I tried the blue slushee clone recipe but it lacks flavour. I might try and double the recipe which would be around 42% flavour total. I know I’m a newbie. Will c

2 Likes

@Uncle_Chop welcome here we will all help where we can

2 Likes

Don’t double it try it the other way! Try half!

5 Likes

I’ve discovered a Raspberry that has great potential even as a single flavor it’s my favorite I’ll post up the recipe here.
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/3484588/Raspberry%20Malina%2060

3 Likes

Hi @Mally1 it’s marked as private …

3 Likes

@Mally1 Share private recipes and other small things

3 Likes

I might do 150% and see what happens. U won’t get much flavour coming out of a low wattage device. But I’ve tried red delight one shot and it’s pretty good at 18%

3 Likes
2 Likes

Just some, not all the flavors I’m working with. I tried multiple flavors using both INW Rasp & WF Sour Ball to see how they would differ to then proceed and to nail down the %'s off the gate too. Sour Ball, about .20% (easier to mix, especially with smaller bottles) was 100% the way to go as Malina which I obviously suspected threw a few way out of wack at .10% but had to try because like most people they are familiar with that flavor. The lemon little kick, without it high making it creamy or anything lifted it up and a good baseline because it doesn’t distract at all.

Blueberries isn’t the answer to blue raspberry either (HS is the best and IMO really the only shot at a pure BB that would work) but I’ll add FW in the mix naturally along with a few other Raspberries that were suggested on here, PM, and from another thread in here that I don’t remember from FLV, SC/FE, Jungle Flavors or 1 from VT that I can’t remember as there isn’t a lot of info on the lesser known raspberries. I’m also biting the bullet, because I only used a small sample size a long ass time ago, and that’s the king and most famous of all the Raspberries and that’s MF (Medican Flower) Wild Raspberry (NOT the regular). If you ever are interested and or a big raspberry fan and want the best the two are wildly, no pun intended, very different.

I’ll get the %'s of what I used and what I used it with because I have to re-do most and change %'s with others but .20% sour ball will be standard. I don’t really want to wait 23 days until the Easter Break for deals but I might do it in 2 batches as I have more than what’s shown that’s worth while.

PM me or comment if you know a cheap US place to get some wasp nano RDA’s as most what I’ve seen has been out of stock and hard to come by. Not only is it my favorite RDA (yes I have the famous big 3) but it would be best to buy 3 more of them cheap so testing will be easier for me this time because I’m ending this madness once and for all.

PS: Sorry for the bottles looking rough, they got hit by the Coronavirus.

1 Like

WF Sour Blue Raspberry is very good for me. I personally don’t need anything more complex, it’s plenty bright :slight_smile:

1 Like

It all depends on what you want in a blue raspberry which is very subjective but I don’t think it’s a primary what so ever after trying other choices and not sure about an accent either but I’m trying it again with newer flavors. I think that bottle has be almost 2+ years old from gremlin looking at the bottle but others surpassed it IMO.

Throw WF Sour Blue with their Sour Ball & maybe pixie sticks with probably some sweetener if you wish and most would be content with that but I’m trying to push it a bit.

Or you can push that high, throw in some OOO blue raspberry candy low and for berries you can pop it with FW Razzleberry for a candy blue raz.

2 Likes

I cut a few corners to play with the lesser known flavors. This blew me away, I used the same thing above but I used OOO Sour Blue Candy at 3% instead of the Flavor Revolution. I know OOO’s very popular and is good and works better as an accent unlike what a lot of other people say and to push it high as hell but it never worked out that well for me high but hitting it low just replacing it with the proper % I was shocked that the EU/FR combo blew it out of the water. Not to say that it wouldn’t work in another combo but using the Sour Ball Candy to start with unlike what I did in the past really adds an incredible boost with the berries and a hint of citrus note to boot so it’lll be helpful to dial it in.

This needs to pack a bigger punch and possibility one of probably a few different bases with a few tweaks. It needs more of a punch and the first thought was obviously HS blueberry.

I’ll sub the OOO/Flavor Revolution for WF Sour Blue Raspberry and NF River Blue Raspberry & Taffy and hell I haven’t used DIYFS Blue Slushy in literally years so I’ll throw that in too. Hopefully we can maybe get one or 2 bases or most likely a (hit) as I call it to have something to work with on starting a base. So with them along with 1-2 that I’'ve used forever will be a solid foundation and then the fun starts because it’s time to build.

1 Like

Very respectable list!! And from the company kept, sounds like I need to add Razzleberry FW to my list to try. I have everything else in the quoted portion I’m pretty sure, and I agree with those being Top Shelf choices (for varying reasons)!

Yeah, that flavor is just INCREDIBLE!

1 Like

FW Razzelberry is one of the few true gems that a lot of people don’t know about with INW and FA to an extent getting all the attention but for a candy raspberry you can’t beat it.

So I edited the post above as it looks like I was too high when I wrote it so now it makes sense :slight_smile: So I tried the OOO mix again and I was wrong I think. That really needs a steep and it’s a lot better than what it was and I can see why people say you need to punch it up, even 6% or higher range even because it’s so thin.

The EU and FR Electric Blue (not their blue raspberry) got even better. It’s still thin and needs more of a punch and also more “blue” because it has more potential than what I used in the past and I’m convinced that EU’s Blue Raspbery and or FR Electric Blue will be a huge part for the first mix (candy/slush) where FW Razzle ironically would be one if not the first flavor I’d reach for after I nail the base down. So pick up those two flavors and NR Blue Raspberry & Blue Raspberry Taffy which are very cheap at https://riversupplyco.com if you are playing along.

There are a lot of lurkers that PM me but: if you do have those 3 flavors I posted (ad 1% more electric blue) and let me know what you think with any/all feedback or suggestions good or bad. If you post here instead of a PM it will be helpful to other people and eventually, hopefully in a month or maybe less, then the concept starts and people can throw out ideas or make different batches or help along as one person does one mix at 2% and another at 5% while others can mix whatever. Again, I got the idea off of the recipe posted here where 2 guys where going back and forth trying to clone a mix and were going back and forth buying and trying different flavors and %'s so I thought I’d bring it here which would have more eyes.

I know that once somebody here comes up with a base which I’ll 100% work on with them along with a few i bring to the table then people will come and help because it will be probably 3-4 flavors only with Sour Ball Candy being one that will be used in all anyways so then it’ll be easy with people mixing with their own flavors or doing different iterations to help speed this along and at the end of the day we might have 4 different candy/slushy blue raspberry recipes with people bouncing off of what we will start to build. Again, I don’t even care if it’s mine or not, if somebody nails it 100% and I’m content for what I was looking for then they post it, then we can move on to the more syrup and sweet blue raspberry mixes which a lot of people think about BR instead of the first which is a candy/slushy base. 3rd might be a fancy one using more exotic and or expensive flavors like Wild Raspberry but that won’t go in because I want the mixes to be easy for people to get and not throw in a Medicine Flower or German Flavor that a lot won’t get or too expensive.

It’s confusing but it’ll all make sense once we have some bases to work with and new ones might pop up all the time when you start to mix different flavors and it’s good but not right so you take EU Blue Raspberry out for example and replace it with what you found works better and then we have a new base to work with. It’s a cluster fuck and hard work but it can b e done within 4-5 months I think.

BTW: WF Blue Raspberry Candy off the shake with EU/Sour Ball is good off the shake and 100% back on my list now. With OOO being wayyy better off the steep and knowing it’s a good flavor, one of the best for sure, I’m going to use that in the same mix above but taking out electric blue and then throw a bunch of the other blue raspberries at it too, which most I don’t think will make the cut but I need more info on some of the NR and how they interact and then bring in the big guns like HS Blueberry. Give me about 3 weeks because I’ll have maybe 25 iterations going and make sure they have a good steep to make sue no impulsive decisions are made that could be bad. I need to make a chart or some shit and notes because this gets crazy. The days of HS Blueberry, INW Malina, FE Lemon years ago seems silly now because with new flavors it’s nuts, just like this wall of text I just wrote too. I blame it on t he mechanical keyboard (Leopold FC 660M - 65%) as I can type insanely fast so whatever is running through my head I can write it down so it tends to be a running commentary really. I’ll make a audio or throw something up on my youtube channel so my thoughts and goals can be covered better in that outlet instead of written words because if I talked to somebody on the phone about it, it would be a 10+ minute conversation. I can do weekly updates that way too if this catches on etc…

So I’ll do that form instead of word bombing the hell out of this topic. I’ll still post but not go on wall of text rants.

2 Likes

I just got some Flavorah Blue Raspberry today and it smells promising. I don’t even know why I buy BR flavors anymore lol. It’s probably not something I want to vape all day unless it’s added to something else. Bubble gum or lemonade would work but just BR? I dunno… I posted this before but I got into DIY to make a BR flavor specifically. None of the BR flavors I got in 2017 weren’t very good. I bought ever one I could get my hands on, even OoO and Fairy’s Finest. I gave up on the idea and moved on to other things.

2 Likes