Let's talk about cool, fun shit like Speakers, Home Theater, and Setups

Yup, yup, that about sums THAT up.

1 Like

I probably fixed, re-designed, or re-engineered 5X more systems than I originally specā€™d out, or installed.

2 Likes

I have a 16ai here at the DogHouse. I enjoy it a lot except it stopped playing back in 44.1. I really donā€™t use 44.1 but sometimes I need it.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know how that part of the industry is moving but for performance all high end is going to arrays. Holy Shit! What a price tag! I got to play with one for awhile and they do have amazing projection. Not buying one however. Jump from thousands to tens of thousands. Band hiring prices have not jumped from hundreds to thousands however.

2 Likes

Oh shit, thatā€™s unfortunate. You doing mostly 48 ?

1 Like

Almost all 48. I think I can hear the difference. The car will only accept mp3 so I burn a copy off that way as well.

2 Likes

When I record, I typically just send the whole project in raw format, which takes MOST of the burden off of me. I THINK I default to 48, but would have to check. Iā€™m not a board guru, but Iā€™ve always liked Presonus preā€™s. Never ran out of headroom, always clean, at least on my board.

2 Likes

Ehhh, but what do I know about headroom, or noise floor Walt, Iā€™m just the guy that bangs on shit, and hopes that it sounds good to someone else.

2 Likes

Iā€™m fine with them but Iā€™m not recording world renowned violinists. For the guitar and vocals I record they do great. Everything else is DI.

2 Likes

As you know moise floor is pretty simple. Headroom is ambiguous with digital. One can pretty much always leave some headroom in a recording.

2 Likes

I was quite enjoying the totally different thread within the other oneā€¦ :rofl:
Thought it was helping to break the tension.

Only audio I get to use is in my car, wife and I have totally different taste in music so tend not to encourage that. My car has 13 speakers, inc a sub, so it is a good escapism when I need it.

5 Likes

Yeah I was too, but then felt we were derailing.

4 Likes

Intereting topic. Unfortunately my musical skills are better not recorded so I never got into it properly which i regret now.
During lockdown Iā€™ve built a kit guitar and a pair of 2 way speakers for the living room. I havenā€™t had a proper stereo for a long time and really enjoy these speakers now. Iā€™m a bit of a dinosaur with hifi stuff so I dug out an old NAD amp and built a remote control for the volume to bring it at least into the 90s in terms of convenience.

Next project will either be a tube amp like these Fender tweed kits or possibly this:
ā€œSymAsym5 - Projectā€
I just have a lot of respect for the huge capacitors in these amps and the mains side of the electrics as well as the high DC voltages in a tube amp so there will be a lot of research necessary or better a 2nd pair of eyes or a sparky who knows whatā€™s really happening. I can solder most things and identify some components but the rest is very fuzzy and more like painting by numbers.

4 Likes

good thread. I can pretty much follow the discussion. Been trying to get my son into the technical aspect of audio recording as heā€™s one of the song writers in his band and has a good head for the technicals. If he had a small recording studio, he would have a blast (I think). But like all young people (I was one once) he likes to come up with things on his own, so Iā€™m staying out of it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m keeping all lightweight as I may be on the move when the world regains sanity, so just whatā€™ll fit in the bag: A 4th Gen Echo dot (and collection of smart bulbs), in-ear bluetooth headset, lapel mic and pack, H1N1 with pop screen and a few 2k/4k cams with lightweight arms. With a laptop and capture card, it makes my mobile office and studio.

4 Likes

If heā€™s interested heā€™ll gravitate toward it. I was captivated with electrical at a very early age when my father helped me make a switch work to light a lightbulb explaining the full path of a circuit. Music has always been a focus for me since a very early age and obviously the two melded. It wasnā€™t until about 40 that I was able to get semi serious about studio gear although I have been investing in some pretty good listening gear since my 20s. Itā€™s an amazing endeavor. You can go as far as you like.

5 Likes

Next test complete. Got the calibrated mic today and did a simple live test watching the frequency response of pink noise. Reduced the sub a little further. Itā€™s at about 1/4 volume with crossovers pretty much where we thought they should. be. I have a recording session this afternoon with a friend on a Steinberg Grand at his house. When I get back Iā€™ll run Sonarworks again and see what pops up. It takes awhile. It takes 30 measurements in and around the listening position.

3 Likes

Ok, recording session got pushed a day due to thunderstorms. Ran the calibration test with calibrated mic. Iā€™m there! This is a sound I can trust. Quite a little process, but it paid off.

5 Likes

Now THAT sounds fun.

1 Like

Confirmed! Just did a remix and master and took it out to the car. Ultimate testing grounds. Perfect translation. Everything was right where I put it in the Doghouse. Solid kick, bubbly upright bass, out front vocals and little mud. Got a spot where the horns, keyboard, and guitars and jumbling up a tad but that is for a later date. Micro inspection of short segments. Just not into it today. Thatā€™s what I love about this being a hobby and me being retired. No due deadlines. I can just sit back and enjoy the progress I made today.

4 Likes