Let's talk about cool, fun shit like Speakers, Home Theater, and Setups

Alright @SmilingOgre, I feel bad we were helping SteamRoll the other topic.

3 Likes

Lol, it went on longer than I expected.

4 Likes

I’ve never used 5" midbasses, but if you say they’re solid down to 40, that’s pretty impressive.

When I was actively playing out, and recording more, talked to a LOT of bass players (DUH), and most of the ones that I dug the sound of, had split cabs, with maybe 10" for punch, and maybe a 15" for the low end. The lowest I’ve ever done i a vehicle, was my current with a pair of Boston Pro 8" subs. VERY small, 0.35 cu ft per sub, sealed, and are super tight, accurate, and hit pretty low.

I have had pretty good luck with 15" servo subs in HT however.

3 Likes

Hehe, yeah, well, hehe :).

I still think the biggest issues I’ve ever had WERE the crossover points, AND slopes of the pass filters. Obviously, if they overlap, or the cutoffs are shallow like 12db, you can get some muddyness, so you can always leave a “hole”, say, Low pass at 60hz, high pass at 85hz, so the overlap flattens out, but I always seemed to get caught by weird room resonance, etc. With a good mic(s), Analyzer, or RTA you can always see and fix most.

1 Like

I no longer have a home theater set up. In the divorce my ex got the house, and even if she didn’t I wouldn’t have had anyplace to have a set up. That is still the case. So instead I have some nice Bowers & Wilkins headphones. When I had one it was with a Denon receiver and Def Tech speakers. Sounded darned good, but I am not a true audiophile.

3 Likes

I always used a six pack of 10" for performing. Can’t say why but I have always been sensitive to speaker flutter and anything over a 10" makes me a little nuts. As much as I like a full round sound I do not like extended decay on my bass. Smaller and smaller speakers are performing very well in low frequencies any more. I never dreamed I would own a speaker made from bird seed.

2 Likes

Love my headphones as well. Have some Focal Spirits. Again, more for mixing than just listening but damn accurate cans. Could mix and master with just them but speakers add some dimension and display phase problems.

3 Likes

EXACTLY. Sure a 15 hits lower, but it turns into a floppy, out of control mess !!!

2 Likes

That’s a shame @Cary1, but at least you got some kickin’ B&W cans !!!

2 Likes

Bingo!! Some guys will play through PA’s with 15’s and 18" subs. Sounds like amplified shit to me.

3 Likes

Before our local high end audio shop closed, I used to go there, and they were one of the few Boston dealers in the area. Got bit by the Boston Pro line, and was heavy into it for a while. Boston has stopped making all high end lines to my knowledge. Sad thing is, I have spare 10" and 8" subs, should probably sell them.

3 Likes

I should probably start EMBRACING headphones more than I have (slow adopter). I spend most of my time with Westone in ears. Luckily (because I"m working too much), I don’t have to do a lot of critical mix downs, as I can live track all 16 channels, and ship them off, and let the other guy deal with it, hehe. The epitome of laziness.

2 Likes

I don’t know how things are, or were out your way Walt, but out here, the car audio scene got taken over by ported bass, and more disgustingly BANDPASS. Talk about a loud as hell, pure shit sounding sound. OMG.

1 Like

Westones are great! I used a pair for monitors while performing. With the digital mixer I could make my own q-mix with an Ipad. The only thing I did wrong with them is I didn’t open my mouth when being fitted with ear molds. They would break seal when I smiled too much, lol. I put a thin covering of shrink tube on them to fix that. Kinda hokey, lol.

3 Likes

Wow, sad to hear. I haven’t kept up with car audio for quite some time. I’ve just got a factory system in my Mazda. I don’t spend enough time in a car to bother any more. I can’t abide by the “loud as hell” trending. I do all my masters at -13LUFS short term to retain the majority of the dynamics and get rid of the “blare” effect. I definitely don’t get the bandpass crap. A huge step backward.

3 Likes

Wait, tell me you weren’t using a Presonus StudioLive board ?

1 Like

I wish I could say that.

Used to design and do SOME custom work, but later it just turned into a “Hey could you fix this Q@#$%#@$%@$#% up system, I don’t know what’s wrong, and it sounds like shit”, kind of a thing.

2 Likes

Absolutely 32 channel rackmount. You have a sixteen don’t you?

2 Likes

16 AI. Older, but between it, their software, I can’t get it NOT to work for me.

1 Like

That’s the groove. I remember that from when I was in high school. I’d build some car system that I thought would be da bomb and end up with a real dud.

3 Likes