Litigation: Evolve Vs Joyetech

Evolve sues Joyetech over the RX200. Hope this doesn’t mean the end of support for the RX. I’m not one for legalese, but jump to the second link if you want to see the court filed papers.

http://vaporjoe.blogspot.com/2016/03/evolv-sues-joyetech-wismec-over-rx200.
https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/11891651

2 Likes

ruh roh…

The way this technology moves it is already obsolete.

3 Likes

Very true. As with anything electronic

2 Likes

They will just settle out of court, the lawyers will do well out of it.

2 Likes

You have a tl,dr version you can tell me/us?

2 Likes

Reverse engineering, patent infringement, and piracy, If you know anything about Apple vs Samsung, it’s similar. Except Evolv only has 19 employees and limited funds.

Short enough?

4 Likes

Perfect summation of problem.

2 Likes

so you’re saying the wismec dna 200 was created by replicating the evolve dna chip and they did that without permission from evolve?

2 Likes

Nope. The litigation is saying Wismec licensed the Evolv DNA200 chip for the Reuleaux DNA200 then had Joyetech, it’s parent company, reverse engineer the features. That then got included in subsequent Joyetech models like the RX200 and the Cuboid. The dispute goes further to say they are all derived from features of the original DNA 12 product from Evolv and encompass willful infringement by Wismec and Joyetech for almost all of their products since around 2010 on. Just my take on what I read in the litigation papers.

Even Evolv says that the Wismec Reuleaux DNA200 is a legitimate product and licensed appropriately.

Here’s the other named offending products.

“infringe at least claim 1 of the ’330 Patent: Wismec Reuleaux RX 200, Wismec
Presa Standard, Wismec Presa TC75W, Wismec Presa TC40W, Wismec
VaporFlask series (including at least the Classic, Lite, and Stout models), Joyetech
Cuboid, Joyetech eVic Series (including at least the VT, VTC, and VTC mini
models), Joyetech eGrip Series (including at least the VT and OLED models),
Joyetech eCom wattage controlled, Joyetech eMode, and Eleaf iStick series
(including at least the Eleaf Mini iStick 10W, Eleaf Mini iStick 20W, Eleaf iStick
20W, Eleaf iStick 30W, Eleaf iStick 50W, Eleaf iStick 100W, Eleaf iStick TC40W,
Eleaf iStick TC60W, and Eleaf iStick TC100W models).”

Most of the language centers around the Variable Wattage features which are patented by Evolv. They just want them to be recognized as such and paid the licensing fee they are owed.

2 Likes

i was getting ready to ask what features, when an edit came through…so its about the wattage/voltage/TC stuff?

2 Likes

Yeah, here’s what I see to be some of the key text.

"Wattage control is a key recent innovation invented by Evolv for electronic vaporizers. Prior to Evolv’s invention, existing vaporizers produced inconsistent vapor due to residue buildup. This buildup consumed the heating element, significantly altering the resistance generated when voltage was applied to the heating element. As the resistance changed, the quantity of vapor would vary from what the user intended and the quality of vapor would often deteriorate into an unpleasant burnt chemical taste.

Wattage control solved these problems by automatically accounting for variations in resistance. With wattage control, the circuitry automatically adjusts the current applied to the heating element to maintain a selected wattage. The power level, i.e. wattage, can be a pre-set level or a level selected by the user. By maintaining a steady level of power, wattage control provides the user with consistent control over the vapor produced."

2 Likes

patent/copyright infringement…gotcha! like what the chinese do all the time…or should i say, the chinese style do all the time, lol

2 Likes

Only difference is Joyetech has an affiliate in the USA called Joyetech USA and they are bound to our laws.

3 Likes

lie Gantt‎
to
May The Vape Be With You
6 hrs ·

Well here’s something fun to read.

Tl;Dr:
Apparently, since evolv designed the first dna12,20,30 etc chips, they patented the design and technology. They feel they own the concept of vv/vw and are suing joytech, wismec for copyright infringement because— they have cheaper chips and aren’t using their overpriced dna200 chips anymore.
search.rpxcorp.com
search.rpxcorp.com
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry
CommentShare
1James Gantt
Comments
3 of 29
View previous comments
Chadwick Turnbull
Chadwick Turnbull yeh that was a good thing LOL . But i have an RX and LOVE It lol .Glad i got mine when i did
Like · Reply · 5 hrs · Edited
Bryan Cohn
Bryan Cohn Oh and Cuboid is part of it because of the reverse engineered DNA 200 board.
Like · Reply · 5 hrs · Edited
Bryan Cohn
Bryan Cohn On information and belief, the following vaporizer products directly
infringe at least claim 1 of the ’330 Patent: Wismec Reuleaux RX 200, Wismec
Presa Standard, Wismec Presa TC75W, Wismec Presa TC40W, Wismec
VaporFlask series (including at least the Classic, Lite, and Stout models), Joyetech
Cuboid, Joyetech eVic Series (including at least the VT, VTC, and VTC mini
models), Joyetech eGrip Series (including at least the VT and OLED models),
Joyetech eCom wattage controlled, Joyetech eMode, and Eleaf iStick series
(including at least the Eleaf Mini iStick 10W, Eleaf Mini iStick 20W, Eleaf iStick
20W, Eleaf iStick 30W, Eleaf iStick 50W, Eleaf iStick 100W, Eleaf iStick TC40W,
Eleaf iStick TC60W, and Eleaf iStick TC100W models).
Like · Reply · 4 hrs
Robin Spears
Write a comment…

https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/11891651

2 Likes

Pretty much how I feel about it but I’m an extremist. I think all knowledge should be free.
Imagine evolv gets sold and big tobacco gets the patent and starts to sue and control all the market. All and any VW devices would be subject to the monopoly and they could decide if the licensing fee is 10 bucks or 50 bucks or if the product maybe isn’t so well suited because it’s too good and competing with their own products. It’s not impossible that this could happen and it would be perfectly legal. Vaping as we know it destroyed by greed.

Ok sorry I’m talking myself into a rage here lol.

2 Likes

They cant have my mods back though.

2 Likes