Looking for Guidance to Improve My Homemade E-Liquid Recipes

Hello Everyone :hugs:,

For the past few months, I’ve been experimenting with DIY e-liquids, and I adore the creative flexibility it provides. But I could need some advice from the more seasoned members of this group as I’m still quite new to crafting.

Although I’ve had some luck trying out the recipes from this database, there are still a few things I find difficult to accomplish:

Harmonising Flavours: Frequently, I discover that my concoctions either overpower or underpower a certain flavour. For example, there’s usually one strong flavour that overpowers the other flavours in my fruit blends. What strategies do you employ to achieve a combination that is well-balanced? :thinking:

Steeping Techniques: Although I’ve read a lot about various steeping techniques and times, I’m still not sure which one is ideal. How do you figure out how long your mixes should steep? :thinking: Are there any particular techniques you adhere to? :thinking:

Preventing Harshness: I find that some of my e-liquids, particularly those with menthol or citrus flavours, have a strong aftertaste. What are some typical reasons for this brutality, and in what way can I make sure it doesn’t happen in my next recipes? :thinking:

Tools and Substances: Right now, I’m utilising a simple setup that includes flavour concentrates, PG, VG, and normal nicotine. Which particular brands or kinds of substances would you suggest using for better outcomes? :thinking: Would it also really make a difference to spend more money on more sophisticated mixing equipment? :thinking:

I also checked this :point_right: https://rioteliquid.com/blogs/news/comprehensive-diy-vaping-guide/minitab

I’m keen to get better at making my own e-liquid, so any guidance, links, or firsthand knowledge you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I’ve found this group to be really useful thus far, and I’m eager to pick your brains for further knowledge.

Thank you :pray: in advance.

12 Likes

If you find that one flavor dominates in a fruit mix draw that particular flavor back or raise the % of the others, unless it is meant to be the main flavor.
Read reviews on all the flavors you employ in a mix some reviews will state if a flavor will dominate others.

Steeping with most fruit mixes isn’t usually needed though if using creams or custards just set the completed mix aside for a few days and try them after a short steep. Some heavy custards and tobaccos need a long steep of a week to as long as a month. Some techniques like warm water bath or devices meant to quickly steep mixes are avail, but I always find that time is the best steeping method.

Harsh mixes do happen I tend to keep menthol or cooling flavors low in a mix. For citrus flavors there are additives like Smooth or Vape Wizard that can help with harshness, though they can be tough to work with even for seasoned mixers. Again steeping can allow harsh mixes to settle and smooth out. Try steeping a harsh mix first.

No really special tools are needed to create a good quality e-liquid. A good scale, clean bottles and a working knowledge of your flavors are the best tools. Also this forum is always available if you need advice or suggestions when creating mixes. Just ask questions!!

11 Likes

My advice is to start watching lots of DiyorDie on youtube, he taught me everything I ever needed to know. He will have a video for any question you have.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jesica1!

9 Likes

Welcome @Jesica1 to the edge of the rabbit hole :hole: :rabbit2: :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

6 Likes

Like Jbitts said. Watch the diyordie youtube channel. Wayne has years of priceless content there and almost every flavor tested

6 Likes

There no real set plan for steeping. You basically just vape it and if its not where you want set it away for a bit and come back to it. Every recipe has its own changes through steeping. Some flavor you will automatically know will need steeping is creams but mostly everything benefits from a steep. Usually a recipe is always vapable within a week.

6 Likes

What helped me most in my mixing is single flavor testing. By doing that, I know where the flavor will sit in a recipe, and if it’ll over power other flavors or will it get buried by stronger flavors. I know it sounds monotonous, and a lot of work, I can say with certainty, it’s helped in all my recipes. You’ll get to know approximately what % you’ll need, and what flavors you can blend with and what you might need to enhance the mix. If you have a recipe you’d like to make, for instance a chocolate chip cookie, take your ingredients and make a 5ml tester of each, let them steep for a few days, and then test them individually. You’ll get an idea of what %’s you will need to use for your tastes, or if something might not work.
Hope this helps. You can also read other notes or listen to reviews, but taste is very subjective, so something that tastes good to someone, might not work for you.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jesica1 You ask great questions and I see you got great answers. I have nothing to add at this point and only wish you luck on your journey. We’re always here to help.

4 Likes

Yes what Lynda said. Its a bit of work but no bigger payoff. You become a expert on each flavor you test.

Id like to add that you can also drip these testers together in a rda and intantly find combos that work great together

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jesica1 :wave:

3 Likes