Looking for some advice

For citrus mixes, believe it or not I use Sour (TPA) up to 1% :sunglasses:

3 Likes

There are some citrus flavors that really just rip my throat and I take them down lower, or find another flavor if sweetener doesnā€™t dull it or a cream. Wish I had better advice there but those are my tricks.

3 Likes

I had a couple of mixes that had a scratchy throat hit. I waited about a week for them to steep. BAM! Scratchiness GONE!

5 Likes

All sounds like good advice. I guess I will start with letting it steep for a bit. Waiting is so hard though. Lol.

@Rocky02852 do you find the sour flavour actually smoothes things out? I have it but have not tested it in anything yet.

4 Likes

@Fishaddict420 (and anyone else who wants to weigh in) which creams/bakeries do you like and at what percentages?

3 Likes

Yeah, thats what I said works for me. Sour (Malic Acid) I like Citrus flavors and tart fruit flavors, add sour and sweetener, turns them into commercial quality juice, (although Iā€™ve been scaling back the sweetener) No long steep for me usually vape next day, by day three perfect!
Cream or custard, maybe in a desert vape or fruit / cream mix!
Marshmallow, IDK have it but donā€™t use,maybe in hot coco?
This is just based on my taste, yours may be different :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I really REALLY like Sugar Cookie (cap). Itā€™s sweet and you can almost feel the ā€œchewinessā€ of the cookies with each hit. Not too much vanilla and at about 2-3% with about 4-6% fruit itā€™s not overpowering, in my experience, anywayā€¦

Try a small bottle of Blue Raspberry Candy from liquid Nicotine Warehouse. Itā€™s so much better than plain blue raspberry, IMO. My husband loves it. LNW has decent prices and their blue raspberry candy, peach, and cherry cola are GREAT as single flavors!!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll second the cap sugar cookie, itā€™s delicious and also one of the most forgiving flavors on the planetā€¦ have you ever mixes any bakeries or custard before? I could come up with a more beginner friendly list if thatā€™s the case, some of my favorite bakeries can be tricky to work with, like FA joy, use a little too much or mix it with the wrong stuff and it tastes like eating yeast, or some people say stale beer lol

3 Likes

I havenā€™t really mixed anything yet. Just started on this journey a couple weeks ago and have mainly just been testing flavours so far. The mix posted above was the first real mix other than a round of straight Forest Fruit (FA) and some sweetener. I am thinking just from past history with commercial juices that I will be mainly fruit/sweet orientated in my flavour profiles, but donā€™t want to use a ton of sweetener. I would say that I am quite picky with my juice as I have only had 3 previous adv juices in the 5 years I have been vaping. Only moved on from each one as the previous ones were discontinued/not readily available at my local shops.

The previous ones were: a double tobacco mix with a touch of menthol (I always found this one to just have a slight sweet taste with flavour similar to how pipe tobacco smells, but really not too much of a Tobacco flavour at all). The next was a blue slurpee what was just awesome. Still sad it is not readily available and too pricey to order online. The most recent is one labelled as pomberry.

What they all have in common is having quite mild flavours compared to others I have tried. And all 3 were also very smooth, almost all the way to where my coils were gunked up and the cotton wicks were brown and leaching back into the tank cause I had left rewicking for too long.

So I am on the journey to find something close to the pomberry and blue slurpee flavours, but really it doesnā€™t have to be the same flavour, just the same smoothness and vapeability of those commercial juices.

3 Likes

Oh, and I meant to add, I have no idea how they get their smoothness in any of the commercial juices. Based on how they all vaped, I am thinking there wasnā€™t a ton of sweetener used as they didnā€™t gunk the coils too quickly compared to others I have tried. Also in my search for each of the flavours I tested at least 20 or so flavours each time before finding that one that I liked (most others were too strong on the flavour or not smooth enough). So my goal is to get 1 adv recipe to start, one that I could smoke for the next year without getting sick of it. Once I have that one, Iā€™ll make 500ml batches of it when I am out. While going through the 500ml batches, I can then experiment with other mixes until I can get 2 or 3 more adv worthy mixes.

4 Likes

And shootā€¦ I left a full tank sitting for a couple days and it is vaping really nicely. I donā€™t know if it was the end of my citrus mix test or if it is the end of my rasegranate tang mix. Also donā€™t know if I adjusted anything when before I filled that tank (in my tests I have been adding a bit of sweetener or marshmallow after testing the base flavour or mixes to see what change it makes).

Need to make better notes and not adjust things/leave tanks sitting around after a couple wobly popsā€¦

5 Likes

Ok, so some really basic flavors that are versatile would be your best betā€¦Iā€™ll separate by brand and others can add anything I miss, and Iā€™ll try to keep my suggestions low so itā€™s not overwhelming to the budget lol

CAP: vanilla custard V1 and sugar cookie V1, both have daap if thatā€™s concerning to you, and their sweet cream is pretty darn good too

FA: meringue!! So goodā€¦

TFA: vanilla swirl, their custard is decent as well

JF: yellow cake, biscuit

LB: vanilla ice cream

INW: shisha vanilla

With some or all of these you can figure out if you like custard/bakeries and make a good handful of mixes if you doā€¦and if you like cinnamon then just start with FLV rich cinnamon, itā€™s a pain to mix with because you donā€™t measure it, you put one drop in and if itā€™s too much then you make the recipe bigger lol I use it at 1 drop per 15-30ml usually, but itā€™s the best bakery style cinnamon I have ever tried.

4 Likes

Okay problem mainly averted. Had enough of the rasegranate tang left to test it and the full tank is the citrus mix test batch. So for anyone interested, citrus mix FA with a little sweetener or marshmallow (I think this is one I added marshmallow to) is a very nice mix.

Also the rasegranate tang posted earlier has smoothed out after 3 days and seems like it could be an adv for me. I am now tasting an orange/Pom flavour on the front end with a bit of raspberry towards the end with a citrus feel throughout. I am thinking with a proper week or so steep, this is going to be a winner.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Iā€™ll probably put a couple on the shopping list.

4 Likes

Oh, by the way, I have been working on a blue razz recipe for a couple of years and I have a couple of good ones and I thought I would tell you some good concentrates to get so that you donā€™t buy crappy ones. Now, I know taste is subjective but if you like blue razz, you will like these. I have not tried every blue razz out there but I have tried quite a few. Good luck with your mixing and welcome to the rabbit hole!

4 Likes

Then you can reduce flavours :slight_smile: do that when it vapes better at the end of the tank.

2 Likes

Sounds like our usage is not a million miles away, and without having tested, something like marshmallow 1.2, raspberry 0.8, citrus 0.8 would probably be fine. Forest fruit if you need to sweeten.

If I were you Iā€™d avoid ethyl maltol and sugar based sweeteners. Flv sweetness if you want, it is the only thing Iā€™ll tolerate now.

I am surprised you can take pomegranate at 2. It gets aggressively dry to me much lower.
Amusingly, it goes well with cherry though ( probably forest fruit as well).

From the fa line, if you want to get coffee/chocolate touches, fa tiramisu is great, keep it under 0.8 though.

2 Likes

Thanks again for more advice. I have this thread bookmarked so will be coming back to it when I do another purchase of some flavours. Realising that I should have expanded a bit more beyond the fruit flavours I went with. I did get a couple to try, but after testing funnel cake and the vanilla I have, not sure if I will go too far down that road. I donā€™t mind the flavours, but they really stick around in my condo. I am thinking the bakeries/desserts probably will have that issue for me. Still, willing to test out different things to make sure Iā€™m not missing out on something I would love.

2 Likes

Bavarian Cream and Creme Fresh are must haves for me. The Creme Fresh adds a good mouth feel and some body to anything without changing the initial flavor much. The Bavarian Cream is bold thickness. Iā€™ll third or fourth the Sugar Cookie. The RY4 can be accented with anything in your list. Flavorah Smooth Vanilla is a good way to brighten up a weak citrus.

4 Likes

Raspberry Malina - Inawera 2%
Sweet Raspberry - VTA (Vape Train) 2%
Ethyl Maltol - TFA (Sweetner) .5%
If anyone has ever tried Raspberry freezer jam from home grown Raspberries Iā€™ll challenge anyone who can out do this recipe. Lol did I really just say that :crazy_face:
Itā€™s a starting point for a great Raspberry recipe everyone should sample it atleast once.
Iā€™m new aswell but this has become my favorite single recipe and its awesome.
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/3484588/Raspberry%20Malina%2060

4 Likes