Losing Your Sense of Taste and Smell from Covid

Since getting Covid recently and losing my ability to taste and smell I started to work myself into a panic and depression. Those 2 senses have much wider implications than we realize and usually we take for granted. What if I can’t smell leaking gas or shit on my hands :rofl: . Then I thought about professionals who rely solely on these 2 senses and searched some info about it. I learned a lot, like the virus likes to linger in your tongue and nostril hair cells. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen to you but the following may offer helpful advice.

https://www.unmc.edu/healthsecurity/transmission/2023/10/17/smell-loss-from-covid-fades-quickly-with-help-of-new-pill/#:~:text=New%20clinical-trial%20data%20suggest,loss%20of%20smell%20and%20taste.

Since this new pill is not available in the US, I decided to try a propolis raw honey throat spray. Propolis is antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, an antioxidant and used as an antiseptic by bees to keep their hives free of disease. I got mine at TJs and it’s called Bee&You if you want to look for it online. Heads up, Raw Propolis is not sweet like honey, it’s very bitter.

11 Likes

This is what I used last year, think I got it from Wally World, worked for me:

5 Likes

Yes, the Manuka Honey is a top source for high grade propolis. I’m glad it worked for you. It’s very depressing isn’t it?

4 Likes

Just wanted to mention that saline nasal spray is safe to use as much as you need it. It can also be made at home with non-iodized salt and water. I would suggest distilled water, though. Our schnozzels are sensitive things :smile:

How to Make Your Own Saline Nasal Spray

You can make your own saline nasal spray at home with salt and tap water. Here is a simple recipe to try:

1. Mix one teaspoon of non-iodized or kosher salt with four cups of regular tap water.
  2. Put in a clean pot and gently boil, covered, for 20 minutes.
  3. Let cool to lukewarm.
  4. Put in a sterile squeeze bottle.

The high salt content is hostile to most bacteria and disease-causing microorganisms. Even so, the solution should be kept for no longer than three days, whether at room temperature or refrigerated. Discard the contents after three days, and wash the bottle thoroughly between uses.

8 Likes

I hope you get your taste and smell back soon!! I can’t imagine.

5 Likes

Thank you Lynda Marie. I found it encouraging when I peeled a mandarin this morning and I could actually smell it accurately when I stuck my nose close to it. I’ve got a big pot of cinnamon sticks and mandarin peels steaming on the stove right now.

7 Likes

That sounds so good! Very holiday like. I think I’ll pick up some mandarins and Cinna sticks tomorrow while I’m shopping for Christmas dinner :christmas_tree::smiling_face:

4 Likes

Martha-stewart GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 Likes

It is a transitory post-covid phase. I had it at the beginning of November and once I was negative I had a terrible burning sensation in my mouth for over fifteen days. Gradually, as the following days went by, the sensation began to fade… it takes patience!

2 Likes

I had COVID last year and the loss of taste and smell lasted a good 2 weeks. I just had COVID last week again and the taste and smell thing only lasted 2 days and came back pretty quickly.

Just a ray of hope for those of you getting COVID this season. Researchers are saying that the taste and smell loss is less prevalent with the 2023 fall season, whatever variant we are on. And in my case only lasted a couple of days.

The rest of the symptoms really sucked though, lol. But the majority of them only lasted about 5 days.

3 Likes

I lost my smell/taste for 1-2weeks after passing COVID
So scary I would lose it if it didn’t come back
Smoking sucks vaping sucks eating sucks
Plus all the dangers of eating drinking spoiled stuff or gass leaks

2 Likes

That IS a ray of hope, thank you @Canjam I’m back at work today although not at 100% feeling well. My tasters are returning but they’re not 100% either. Vaping has improved but some of my food taste weird.

2 Likes

That’s what I was feeling. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

2 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better and your senses are coming back.

1 Like

Thank you, Tracey and nice to see you again. What have you been up to?

Recovering from covid again. :yum: Seriously. Didn’t lose my sense of taste or smell this time though. The first time was like your experience. All I was able to vaped was pgvg nic and menthol. It took months to recover. Ugh

2 Likes

I managed to vape only VgPg with a little nicotine for over fifteen days; after COVID the burning sensation in my mouth was too strong to use any other liquid. What I also learn from reading around is that these latest variants leave very different consequences depending on the person.

1 Like