Mac Users - High Sierra Security Issue

Not a Mac user myself but for those of you that are if you are on High Sierra you need to look at this

4 Likes

But… But… Apple computers are soooooo superior, it can’t be right… Macs are secure by definition, it must be a user problem!

4 Likes

:laughing: Be niiiice! ;p
Besides anyone who knows computers knows that the last REAL Apple/Mac product was a G4.

If memory serves (and my “error-correction” memory bit still works…) the change to Intel hardware was on the G5.Said change effectively made it a PC, and Apple simply became another OS vendor.

Many feel that when they quit making both custom hardware, and software… They were no longer Mac. :wink:

Gotta love marketing and lemmings though.
(This is not a condemnation of those who understand the difference, and still appreciate the differences! It is however an indictment of those who blindly follow a brand because it’s cool. chuckles)

6 Likes

Still requires physical access though :slight_smile:

6 Likes

“Worse yet, the attack works even when someone does not have physical access to your macOS High Sierra machine. One Twitter user confirmed that the vulnerability works over a piece of software called VNC, or even through Apple’s own Remote Desktop software.”

3 Likes

Oh, that sounds annoying. What I read it said it was purely physical, but if you have installed VNC then I guess you would be vulnerable!

6 Likes

I’m not a Mac user so I’m not super familiar with the OS but it already seems to have a suitable short term solution. I’d imagine they will eliminate the exploit quickly by mandatory patch to the OS. After reading more I’d say it’s bad but could be a whole lot worse.

3 Likes

And…it’s patched.

6 Likes

“root” - That’s such a kindergarten move.

3 Likes

I appreciate your comments, but want to correct a few inaccuracies.

The G5 was still a PowerPC chip designed by the AIM alliance (Apple, IBM, Motorola). Apple never did manufacture the chips instead buying them from the other two alliance members. The move to Intel happened with the Intel Celeron chips.

IBM was already selling off their PC business and getting out of PC chip manufacturing and Motorola couldn’t produce enough chips to meet demand. Intel offered an easy transition that also allowed Macs to now connect to a vast number of peripherals that were never supported on PowerPC. It’s had it’s hiccups but most would call it a win for the consumers overall.

Apple still does do all the engineering and design for their hardware and develops it’s own operating system. You still can’t find another microcomputer vendor out there that can make that claim. You can say Microsoft does it with the surface, but I still hesitate to call that a true full blown computer.

Apple’s real win was creating an affordable UNIX machine with a user-friendly GUI. Solaris boxes used to run around $5000 for an entry level box and were not consumer user-friendly. Your average entry level Mac is about a grand.

Again, not a dig. Just a clarification.

3 Likes

Glad you did! I think many folks need a clearer understanding of the history, and I know that I’m definitely not the man for that job! :laughing: So I’m definitely glad you spoke up! (Honestly, I had been hoping someone would do what you’ve done here.)

Basically, I was just commenting loosely as an “overview”. As, like you say, they’ve never done hardware (from a full on, in house, fabrication type POV). But, also, as you’ve so eloquently outlined, what they did, was far above and beyond what anyone else in the industry had done. (And I agree, I wouldn’t call the MS Surface a full blown computer either.)

What they did do though, in addition to the OS development, was basically lay the framework (IMO) for what became a sub-segment of the pc side, that being: the motherboard industry. (Asus, Gigabyte, Etc). So MS never really had to worry about focusing on hardware (to the same degree), and benefitted from that as a result!

Regardless, my general point was intended more to be commentary on the observation that SO MANY Apple purists were quite dismayed when the shift in hardware occurred (understandably so, because at that point, they lost a “major argument point”, or more correctly, a key point of distinction in what made Apple special.)

I didn’t take any offense whatsoever, and appreciate your post! :thumbsup:

Kudos @Big_Benny_MI on a nice little writeup/synopsis! :champagne:

2 Likes

I started out on a Performa Pizza Box. 68040 & System 7.1

I miss System 7 and Hyper Card.

Fun days

2 Likes