Madagascar classic vanilla - bad batch?

I’ve just bought a bottle of FA Madagascar classic vanilla. Compared with all my other vanillas and custards it has a really odd smell to it, no vanilla at all in my opinion and a smell that reminds me of the old 2010 style cheap tobacco liquids. If you have it in your stash, what’s your opinion? Is it a bad batch or does it just need time and will come out nice?

1 Like

Madagascar does have a funky off smell it doesn’t transpire in the juice and it’s darker than the typically vanilla.

It smells kinda woodsy exotic and definitely worth trying out at 1-1.5% in a bakery blend then steep it a good 2 weeks it shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Oops… I’ve done a tobacco marlboro kinda blend with it with 7%… maybe i should start again.

YUP !!! I think so :smile:

out of curiousity did you try your juice you just made , what made you think that 7% was where you’d start ?

1 Like

Well, the aim is to replace my mtl liquid since TW don’t do their vanilla anymore and their American red is only available ready to vape. In the past I mixed the 2 and it was my ADV for years. Now I’m experimenting to find a suitable replacement. Some of my test samples with 5% of different vanillas came out a bit weak so I tried to raise it to 7%. It seems to be OK for other vanillas though…

1 Like

I don’t think 7% of that vanilla would be very tasty tbo that’s not to say you won’t like it you may but if for some reason it comes out bad I’d start over using it at only 1-1.50% along w/ other vanillas especially some creams and then add a tobacco if you want a tobacco. Good luck
You can always check the strength of a flavor by clicking on it ( the blue link ) each flavor leads back to their own flavor page where it shows the suggested ratio in a mix and on its own as a reference.

2 Likes

Let’s see how that 7% mix comes out. I’ve mixed the same recipe with different vanillas. At least now I know that it’s not necessarily a bad batch. Making pretty good progress on the tobacco side of it. I may not get very close to the TW American red. I don’t need a 100% clone but something that works as an ADV. I’ve opened another thread about this particular problem and will update there as soon as I have something acceptable.

1 Like