Magnetic mixer is awesome

Ive been making most of my juice 30 pg/70 vg. It will stir but they hust start off slow. A hot water bath before you put it on the mag stirrer will probably help get the vg thinned a bit.

1 Like

Geez that things a beast !!!

1 Like

I’m glad ya picked up that stirrer, I hope it works as well for you as mine does. I love mine! It does work best to warm the mix up a little and then ya can kick up the speed a lot more.
I start out slow with it (around 3 or 4 on ours) for 30 secs or so to get things flowing good and then slowly increase the speed. With a warm mix I can run it full blast. Last mix I did was a 120mls and at full speed I could pull a nice whirlpool from the top all the way down to the stir rod, which really introduces a lot of air into the mix.
Pour it into the individual bottles while it’s freshly mixed and let it sit with the caps off for a few hours (more or less depending on the bottle size) and then follow your regular steeping routine.

2 Likes

That is a 50ml flask. I made a 30 ml batch in it and the 26mm stir bar (1") worked perfect.

1 Like

I finally got my magnets !!! Cleaned the magnetic mixer up. Works fine. The suck part is my fiancé bought slight round bottom beakers :rage:told him I need erlenemyer for a specific reason ugh
 SOME Men DO Not Listen oh well vent over. Do u think I could put some rubber material ( the kind of stuff that keeps rugs from sliding on wood floors ) on the bottom of the mixer and then just warm my batch and use it from there it would an additional material interfere?
He got me 25 mm magnets ?

1 Like

LOL 
 yeah some of us have selective hearing :smirk:

I use a material similar to what you’re talking about and it works fine and keeps the beakers from moving around.

Glad the mixer is working out for ya!

1 Like

He is an awesome guy but stubborn and well doesn’t listen well.

The mixer is doing great. I think 25mm is good for batch sizes under 30 mls. I think I’ll get a larger magnet for the 50 and 100 ml beakers. And I will get a erlenemyer flask 25 ml myself.

1 Like

I think I will get a couple longer stir rods too. On the larger beakers you really gotta get the small ones spinning fast to get that whirlpool all the way to the bottom, which is what I like to do cause it pulls a lot of air into the mix and seems to help with steeping. I think a couple longer ones would work better for this.

1 Like

Yep that’s what I’m experiencing as well as when it comes to speed I can’t go over 7 d/t the magnet whobbles more less than really spins well. At around 5-6 1/2 I can get a funnel going but does not reach the bottom.

So 
 Does that mean we will need 30-40 mm rods or are you thinking larger ?

I wouldn’t think we need to go any more than 40. I see a lot of sets of stirrer bars in various lengths being sold on Ebay.

2 Likes

Should work fine. I don’t think the shelf liner will make much of a difference. I have a couple of messuring cups that hold 150ml I picked up from Walmart that work good to. They are about 2in diameter and 3 in tall.

2 Likes

The octagonal ones have flattened sides they work good in thicker vg. Also ones that look like a plus or cross stir very good.

1 Like

Hey that’s pretty clever David ! And no shipping and waiting. Now for the 150ml what is the rod size that works for a smaller batch ? Say I was making a 15-20 ml batch ?

And off topic but wanted to say the BB cz cake is awesome ! Thanks for a nice recipe !

1 Like

The 25mm should work fine. If you do order more bars get a 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch cross for the beakers. 1 inch will work great and fit most beakers. They will lay flat on the bottom and work for any size batch, 10 on up.
Im glad you liked the Blueberry cheese cake. Its been my adv for a month or so.

1 Like

Thanks I will look tomorrow. Do you buy yours off Amazon ? eBay ? @Shaner is looking to buy some as well.

2 Likes

Ebay has a lot of them and some are good priced.

Check this out @Amy2. This is where I got mine and this works great in the beakers. They have a 3/8 inch one that might fit in the small flasks. Im not at home so I cant measure the opening on my small 50 ml. erlenmyer.

1 Like

This is what I use most

@Shaner

1 Like

They make alot of different styles and there are a gazzillion on ebay. If you are going to mix in bottles they make a small bar called a spinvane that will fit in bottles or test tubes.

3 Likes

Cool mixing idea. Quiet and small. I don’t mix in a flask though. I mix by weight right into the bottle. I’ve been trying to come up with a spin the bottle thing-a-ma-jig that doesn’t involve power tools. Saw some of those on YouTube like one guy zip ties his bottles to a sawzall. No thanks.

2 Likes