Magnetic stirring for the unfamiliar

Oh the disappointment :wink:

Thanks for the cool feedback you already provided us with though.

3 Likes

Very interesting comments. Very much appreciate your time and this was a very good explanation and more of what I was hoping for just based on the number and scope of your product reviews that i have enjoyed reading and watching. I, as you stated have more questions than answers and will continue to research these methods. Thanks again, very much appreciate it!

2 Likes

I paid $39.99 last dec . Worth every penny I spent . Mixed 500ml of blackberry pina colda last night . Hasnā€™t ever given me any problems

4 Likes

My pleasure.

1 Like

The point is, I am an engineer. I donā€™t want to spend 5 seconds shaking a bottle everytime. I want to spend 50 hours building something that does it for me and requires 2 minutes maintenance every 20 bottles :joy:
Also I just want to play with ultrasonic homogenisation because I find it pretty great.

1 Like

Now this makes sense. I thought you were just deranged :wink: Bingo! Letā€™s see what happens ifā€¦

Iā€™m going to try something nuts. Turn this on itā€™s head.

1. Add ingredients leaving 10 ml headspace in the bottle.
  2. 1/2 hr mag stir low speed. Pre blend
  3. 1 min homogenize. Blend
  4. 1/2 hr ultrasound recover
  5. 3 hr souse vide @ 40c. Steep with heat.

If it turns out to be drano I loose five bucks. Iā€™ll whine about that in another thread.

4 Likes

Nah, i want a process that is supposed to take less time, not more :slight_smile:

Thinking of a small RC plane brushless inrunner around 20w at 35-40k rpm and a smooth shaft. I can probably grind a larger shaft to replace the original motor shaft, it should run off a modest 1 cell lithium battery and ESC are pretty cheap. Just need a pwm generator and I am sorted.

1 Like

Post results. I get the theory. The homo probe is overkill as there is no tissue to grind.

2 Likes

Engineering Change Order #1:

I happened to use some Loraine peach in this latest mix and I added it last. It is orange. I discovered that my mag mixer will not address the top inch and a half of liquid in a boston round bottle. Now using 125ml beaker and the stirrer is addressing all of the liquid. OoooPs! Using purely clear ingredients I would have never noted this problem. Found, one each PMI unknown, unknown. Regards, Dr. Harold Kerzner.

1 Like

The centre drop should nearly reach the mixing bar, ensuring top mixing. Are you running too slow?

1 Like

Nope, Thatā€™s just all the unit has to provide. I use rare earth magnets as well so I get a good bond. All good regardless, A sandwich bag and a rubber band to seal the top and the beaker works just fine.

2 Likes

The overall test will be complete by this evening. Had itā€™s one minute of homogenization and its enjoying a bath in the ultra sonic. Iā€™ll pop it in the Souse Vide before I leave for work and see if I get great juice or draino at the end of the day.

1 Like

Holy flavor VapeMan! Iā€™ll be cuttin back on my percentages next batch. Woah, itā€™s all there all rightā€¦

1 Like

Really? Is it that good?

Itā€™s that much of an improvement over the process I was using. Iā€™m seriously amazed at the improvement. On the grand scale of goodness, I have no idea. Edit: oh ya, and itā€™s only a sampling of one. As soon as I vape up some more juices Iā€™ll do it again for sure.

3 Likes

I noticed the same problem previously. Tried several different stir bars but still had the issue. Switched to beakers for even small batches.

Keep us posted!

You bet! While Iā€™m very excited, folks need to understand that this is a huge improvement over what I have been doing to present. My last process was as follows:

Add ingredients.
Heat Souse Vide 30 minutes @ 40C (concept to lesson viscosity differential)
Homogenize 1 minute
Mag stir 1/2 hr (note, I had not realized it was not addressing the top 1/4 of the liquid at this point)
Ultra Sound 1/2 hour.

Previous to that:
Add ingredients
Mag stirr 1/2 hr
Ultra Sound 1/2 hr.

Each change has brought improvement. The latest process seeming to be by far the best.

1 Like

Could you get the same or near the same results without the homogenizer and USC? Perhaps a longer stir time with a controlled amount of heat?

1 Like

I like the USC if for no other reason to dissipate any suspended off gassing. The homogenizer appears to further the dispersion of liquid as after mag stirring I can still see some traces of different viscosity flowing in the mix. I may still try removing those two portions of the process at some point. At present I am more interested in trying the new process on multiple recipes.

2 Likes

Would it be be possible to insert the homogenizer probe into a beaker on the mag stirrer (size)?

2 Likes