Max VG recipes and sore throat

Thanks in advance all.

Ok, so I am doing max VG juices using My Freedom 60% nicotine with 100% VG, RTS VG, and 3% DW. Nicotine level on all juices is 3 ml (1.5 ML per 30 ML bottle). All liquids (including flavors) are shaken well before adding to juice beaker and bottles are attached to a high speed “multi tool” cutter for 5 minutes to mix before steeping (at minimum one hour in 130 degree water). I drink 1 liter of water at least per day that I sip on during the work day. Ok, that’s it for my DIY process.

The sore throat issue persists on all my gear (and I have a decent collection of mods, RTA, RDA, sub ohm, etc). The consistent part of my gear is the builds are all basically identical: dual 24 GA Ti with 7 - 10 wraps, Cotton Bacon V2 fit to a slight resistance against inside of coils. I generally vape at 400 degrees F and 25 to 35 joules. This was my build before DIY juices and I had no issues.

Any thoughts, helps, advice is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Is there a specific flavor that you use in most/all of your juices? Are your flavors PG based or VG based? Have you thought about trying something other than cotton for wick? Silica, hemp, or rayon might work better for you if the cotton is causing the problem. A couple of people around here have talked about having some allergy-type issues with cotton.

1 Like

Cotton has worked perfectly for store bought juices, so I doubt it’s a cotton allergy or sensitivity.

I’ve made the following recipes with the Max VG button hit and adding an additional .3% to each flavoring by volume:

Apple Fritter (reunity)
Smooth Morning Kick (Lars)
Gambit V2 (ADV Search)
Blueberry Muffin (Rob Whylie)
Nannies Titties (so far the least throat irritation)

1 Like

did you mean Cinapple Fritter [DIYorDIE: returnity] - returnity ???

How long have you had your sore throat?
Is it possible you just got a bug from a friend or acquaintance?

1 Like

Going on 10 days now. Anything is possible, however, when I wake up no sore throat, after I start vaping I get the sore throat.

And yes, Cinappple Fritter [DIYorDIE: returnity] - returnity

1 Like

Well, those recipes don’t seem to have any one flavoring in common.
You are using Max VG, but it’s still possible you’ve developed an
allergy.

I would try vaping (with clean wick) straight VG.
If that is ok without any throat issue, I’d mix some pg into my vg.
If that’s ok, I’d mix up just a regular base of pg, vg, and nic.
If that all vapes ok, then I’d start trying single-flavor ejuice until
I found the culprit.

Definitely need to know what’s causing it though.
Sore throat = no fun.

Good luck to you!

7 Likes

Could try a cooler vape by non sub ohms for a while. Might be the Nic brand, some are harsher than others. Try going to a vape shop and buy a e liquid which uses a different nic.

1 Like

Derp… I read that wrong, sorry.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue for about 6 months now.Including sore throat gone in the morning until I vape. And I vape 0mg nic. Only been DIY for 3 months, I was hoping that would help. I haven’t been able to find the cause either, and my Dr. also can’t find anything wrong. I’ve almost stopped vaping a few different times because it has gotten so bad. But, I know if I do, I will start the analogs again :frowning:

I thought maybe it was the sub ohm vaping causing it, and so I tried to go back to my Nautilus. Only lasted 2 days as I wasn’t satisfied, didn’t get enough vapor from it, also couldn’t take deep enough pulls to be satisfied. I have revisited the thought of trying again :frowning:

I have asked the same question in some of my groups, and tried everything I can think of. If I ever figure it out, I will let you know. Please let me know if you figure it out. I am very very tired of it too.

The only thing I haven’t tried is max pg. My sister is actually allergic to VG, and has to vape 75% pg. I’m hoping that’s not the issue. However, I have been vaping for 4 years now, and the only thing that has changed is I sub ohm now, although my range is 25-45w. Never higher, and never lower than .5 ohms. Not that matters…lol

I just ordered 1 of those Vaporesso ceramic coils and I’m crossing my fingers that will help.

Anyway, good luck, I really do hope you find the culprit and get relief.

1 Like

Oh, btw, I know people “can’t” be allergic to VG. Doesn’t change the fact that she swells up like a balloon and breaks out in hives with higher pg levels, and doesn’t with lower as long as she stays at no more than 25%. I have to say I’m one of those people that still doesn’t believe people can be allergic to it, and that’s probably why I haven’t tried it. But, I have witnessed her reaction, so I really have no clue what to believe.

2 Likes

I’ve been helping two guys who have real problems with much more than 10% PG in their juices - they’re experimenting with recipes using mainly FLV, INA and FA concentrates (initially at less than 12% but aiming for under 10%) and adding distilled water and vodka in various proportions to thin the juice.

Like your sister, their symptoms are very real, despite all the scientific assurances.

It’ll be a while yet before we can draw any firm conclusions but if we ‘discover’ anything important I’ll try to remember to post it back here.

2 Likes

Maybe try Medicine Flower - extremely potent flavoring without PG (or VG). They’re expensive though, and their bottles only contain 12-13ml even though they say 15ml…

4 Likes

I’ve got two steeping right now… :wink:

2 Likes

I typo’d. She’s actually allergic to VG, which is what everyone says you can’t be. She usually orders 90pg 10vg juice. She does go up to 25% vg occasionally, but she can’t do it for long. I don’t know if it’s a reaction in her head, but it’s actual physical issues, so I don’t know?

Which makes a very thin harsh juice. I don’t know how she gets any vapor at all. She used Nautilus tanks, she can’t sub ohm because most tanks leak and/or flood with such thin juice.

1 Like

I’ve vaped plenty of 100% PG - it’s not bad - Try adding a bit of MTS Vape Wizard (FA) or Smooth (TPA) :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

That might help! Why don’t I think of these things? I told her to use FA coconut to help increase vapor too. Not sure why, but I seem to get more vapor production from it. Thank you :wink:

That is what is so great about these forums, everyone brainstorming together gets so many more results.

2 Likes

MTS Vape Wizard (FA) supposedly helps with vapor too!

2 Likes

And I finally found the cause of my sore throat after 2 years! Sometimes accidents can be good things :slight_smile:

I have been so testing beta flavors for the last couple months that I haven’t vaped any of my own recipes. I didn’t notice my sore throat had gone away as I’ve learned to ignore it. Until I loaded up one of my favorite recipes. Within an hour of picking it up, sore throat was back :frowning:
That was my Ah ha moment. Went back to the testers for 2 days, sore throat gone. Went back to a couple of my different recipes, right back again.

I thought I had pinned it down to a PG sensitivity as I couldn’t find any reason for it.

The only thing different in my testers was I use 2-4% sterile saline in my own mixes. I have found it helps tremendously with moisture in my mouth and nasal passages, and didn’t really seem to affect flavor. I use the same little medline ampules of sterile saline used in my breathing treatments and that is in my inhalers. However, I never thought of it being an issue as I use those for inhalation all the time. Well, the meds in with the inhalers and breathing treatments themselves are bitter tasting and have always caused irritation. Not easy to notice when you are already coughing from bronchial irritation.

Anyway, it’s a very exciting and long awaited answer to an irritating problem. The down side is now I have to dump a LOT of juice, Then have a couple days of marathon mixing. Then wait 6-10 weeks before I get a decently steeped custard again :frowning:

Just something I wanted to put out there for anyone in the future that might have similar issues. I wonder if it was the DW for the OP?

8 Likes

So it was the saline causing your throat problems?
I don’t understand.

2 Likes

Yep, it was the saline. I don’t know if it was because I used too much, or if it mattered. Caused stinging raw throat.

2 Likes