Mech Advice - total newbie needs help

I know many of you are Mech aficionados and have recommended mechs to me before (and I have balked each time). But I’m finally ready to give in and try a Mech Squonker (or maybe a Clickset or Mosfet), whichever you think would best intro me to the scary, scary world of non-regulated mods. :wink:

I’m looking for something cheap (and dependable, of course) to start out with. It would also have to be small since I’m not having the best of luck finding affordable small regulated Squonk mods.

To give you an idea of what I’d like in a mod, I like the squonk/fire arrangement of the Topside 90W. The Pulse v2 makes me shift things around in my hand to squonk and fire.

4 Likes

While not a traditional Mech, it has a clickfet with haptic feedback and is one of my favourite squonkers I’ve come across. The EVM by Estoque out of Malaysia…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vw6NAEh0GQ

It’s a beaut, a little spendy but build quality is second to none, 10ml capacity, 18650 and very small… Such a treat to use.

6 Likes

That’s a nice squonk :fire:

4 Likes

I can’t help much as I don’t use mechs anymore. But out of curiosity…you use the term ‘scary’ and I can understand, based on some of the stories out there. But knowing the risk factors what is it about a mech that motivates you to try one?

3 Likes

I was kidding when I said “scary.” If I were truly afraid, I wouldn’t have posted anything. The reason why I asked is because I’ve had a difficult time finding regulated squonkers that are affordable and that I can squonk/fire comfortably. I really love the Topside 90W, but by the time I found out about it, it had been discontinued. I know there are other regulated squonkers out there that would fit my hand, but they’re out of my price range. :slightly_frowning_face: I figure that leaves me with mechs as my remaining option.

4 Likes

I’m using a Wismec Luxotic BF mod and it works really well. It’s a mech with built in protections and it’s tiny but solid and uses a single 18650. Normally, I am not a fan of Wismec mods, but this little guy has been fantastic for a while now. Some claim that it had leak issues, but I haven’t had any at all. Don’t know if they’re still available or not.

5 Likes

Asmodus luna another cheaper mosfit mod. Sq mods are full mech and do a 21700… otherwise your sort of stuck with 18650, I don’t mind the later put a nice single coil on it and you get a nice vape.shapeways do a printed body and then get the internals from stealth vape and make your own.And don’t forget the good old pulse.depends on where you are and your pocket size

5 Likes

I’m not concerned about my pockets. I want to be able to squonk and fire it w/out having to shift it around it my hands. I have to do that with the Pulse v2. I think the Pulse BF is the same size.

The Asmodus Luna is more than I’d like to spend since I’m just wanting to find out if I even like mechs. (I only checked one site, so they might be available for less). I was hoping to spend less than $50 for this exploratory thing of mine.

3 Likes

I should have included more info. I vape only single-coil attys, I build coils around 0.4 ohms. I have 18650 25Rs and VTC6s and 21700 30T and 40T batteries, so I’m fine w/ either. (I do have paired P26As that I can split if necessary).

The configuration of the Pulse v2 does not work for the size of my hand. I have to keep moving it around whenever I squonk. I prefer the way the Topside 90W is designed w/ the bottle in front so there’s none of that shifting around nonsense.

Since I’ve never used a mech before and have no idea whether I’ll like using one or not, I’m not wanting to spend much money. I’m figuring something in the $50ish range.

4 Likes

I think Asmodus Lunas are fairly cheap mosfet squonkers/

5 Likes

@Grabbo @anon44012888 My bad. When I looked up the Luna, the first site listed them at $69.99, but I didn’t realize they weren’t actually available there. That’s why I thought they were more than I was willing to spend.

They are the size/shape of what I’m wanting. Plus, they’re really pretty, so, bonus! I looked around, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. :frowning:

2 Likes

The only place I can think of is China it’s will def be a clone.
Hellfire cobra would be right what your looking for style wise

1 Like

Not the case, Asmosdus is manufactured there, they will be authentic… Also I believe the Hellfire Cobra is a 500 dollar Squonker

2 Likes

Keep looking for the Luna till you can get it. You will be very happy with it’s small size, easy to squonk and fire single handed without having to shift it around, good looks, and Asmodus dependability. Then put a Elder Dragon up top for a winning combo, especially with the Luna.

2 Likes

Yeah, have to say the Luna is a damned attractive mod. I’ll try posting in the classifieds, but I doubt anyone will want to part with theirs. (People are so damned selfish that way) :wink:

1 Like