Medicine Flower contains PG

Good Question for Alysia … Hey you… How are things

5 Likes

I don’t know. But if it is, some of us have already been down that road (not just by using flavors that were created with it as a primary carrier, but by using the actual product (PDO) itself), and I can say it won’t end well (at least per my opinion and experience with it)!

4 Likes

Yes. Most definitely ask Alysia because I’m sure that would clear up a lot of confusion about the “PG”. Doing good Fidalgo! Thanks for asking (^_^) ! How are you?

Yeah, I think I know what your referring to regarding PDO in some flavors; Real Flavors? I was trying to catch up on the thread on the PDO vs Alcohol %'s in their actual flavors. What I remember is that some of their SC’s did contain minimal amounts of it. I heard some good experiences and bad but I would def. have to recheck that RF thread.

I’ve never used PDO as a replacement for standard PG but I do know that a few mixers use it and a few CBD e-liquid companies use it as their base because the PG ratio is higher for CBD e-liquid. A lot of people complain about throat hit or that the CBD mixes better with PDO. I also know that Five Pawns e-liquid use PDO as their base and ppl seem to like it a lot.

5 Likes

Ah point taken :slight_smile: . And FV’s ava is just wearing a funny yellow nose?,(yeah, i know that doesn’t imply mod necessarily, but that distinctions got blurred has it not?)
BTW, if you could hand out a like for the top half of a post, you woulda got one for that, but then you ruined it with:

cos, for reasons that i;m not inclined to repeat, the jury is still out on how much of the population this potentially affects. or rather, it ought to be out… :thinking: Welllll… (can’t resist) main reason is that corn is increasingly ubiquitous and so very well hidden that it’s a marvel that anybody ever manages to figure out that they have a corn allergy (personal experience: it literally took me years of being forced to elimininate this that and the other from my diet, before I sussed what all those eliminated ingredients have in common.The moment of enlightenment came shortly after I had to -ironically- eliminate my antihistamine tablets ) .

So it stands to reason we’re looking at the tip of the iceberg,

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Medicine Flower Suppliers

@Sprkslfly @fidalgo_vapes - That could also explain why MF is so expensive. Not only their extraction process but also because they are using PDO; which is not cheap at all and very hard to get.

4 Likes

That’s POINT 4 and POINT 6 percent for everyone.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s two of us @Plunderdrum VG based PG. Who’d a thunk that one ?

6 Likes

I strongly (and I can’t emphasize that enough) doubt it.

Why? I’ve never experienced fading issues with MF. In fact, just the opposite.
MF frequently gets stronger (in a mix) as time passes. :wink:

7 Likes

I understand there is a high interest in PG, but there is a whole lot of “blah, blah, blah”, between post 46 and 100.

6 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes I love phone calls like that.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem like it, this is made both from petroleum and corn syrup… although Wikipedia is known to be wrong from time to time.

Production[edit]

1,3-Propanediol may be chemically synthesized by the hydration of acrolein, or by the hydroformylation of ethylene oxide to afford 3-hydroxypropionaldehyde. The aldehyde is hydrogenated to give 1,3-propanediol. Moreover, the bioconversion of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol is existent in certain bacteria.

Two other routes involve bioprocessing by certain micro-organisms:

2 Likes

Ooh, only just caught this one. (replies coming too thick and fast for my little brain)

Well worth a trial. (and would be very intersted in the results) but do be careful not to make assumptions on that basis.

Strikes me that The PG content in MF might be low enough to be considerered merely a trace? (That might account for lack of acknowledgement) . and that being so , It might be that not even my highly sensitive bod has managed to notice it yet. But , like I said before, i wouldn’t count on that situation continunig. And I’m certainly reacting to something-or-other ATM., and my vape is making me cough a bit (I’m just not willing to include my vape in an elimination trial, ATM. I’ll try that , as a last resort, if everything else gets the green light)

Also, consider there are way too many variables involved : degree of sensittivity, underlying etiology (which, again, surely differs between indivduals ) and whether it’s the PG itself, or source material? (all-too-often unknown) . Hopefully, you can control enough of those variables to get meaningful ( and useful!) results, but then we can never safely generalise.

BTW, I’ve personally avoided PDO because it’s made from corn. So can’t add to the knowledge base there.

2 Likes

What MF flaves are making you cough ??? My understanding is not all have PG in them , however I could be wrong

3 Likes

currently, it’s a very old batch of Tangerine, and an equally old batch of Rum Truffle (containg MF rum and MF Dark Chocolate amongst other things. (The Dark Choc is already a bit of a calculated risk, you might say, because it’s somewhere between rare and impossible for me to find a chocolate I can tolerate. I’m not altogether certain I can handle cocoa , though the disappointments are probably due to hidden ingredients and/or cross contamination. I’d have to grinfd my own Cocoa beans to be sure! In short, i really wouldn’t leap to any conclusions! not even if I nailed to MF, and not even if that particular flavour had PG in it. )

The cough is not so bad. Very mild asthma perhaps, or mayvbe triggered by pure irritation, nothing more, since i’m trying to ease my way back into vaping after a recent lapse. Its my other symptoms, which are most likely due to ingesting corn in some form, that are really bugging me. and , no, you really don’t want to hear about those.

What I mean to say (in my long-winded fashion) is that MF is way down the bottom of the suspect list as yet. But I’d like to be forearmed with info in case it makes it’s way to the top. So thanks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not PDO …I had to confirm lol…

7 Likes

You said pg manufacturers don’t say what kind of pg you get, mine does.

6 Likes

@Plunderdrum you see this PG ??

3 Likes

Sorry, couldn’t read the label, but happy to take your word for it. Not surprised. I wasn’t thinking of the PG that we (don’t) buy for ourselves, but rather of the countless other sources of PG, that @Plunderdrum and I would be (not altogether successfully) trying to avoid. That is, where Pg appears as an ingredient , or ingredient of an ingredient .

Btw, that’s by no means limited to vape juice and concentrates (though that’s the big concern on this forum ofc). It’s also in numerous foods, medicines , cosmetics, cleaning fluids, hair spray, nasal spray, inhalers, air fresheners, you name it. In most of those instances it would take some painstaking research to find out what the PG therein was derived from, or even if they contained PG at all (eg when it appears as an ingredient of an ingredient)

So, all in all, controlling your exposure to PG is a pretty difficult task, and keeping track of what ""kind " of PG you’ve been exposed to is just about impossible. PG is PG is PG, after all. The crucial difference (if such exists) would be in the impurities.

4 Likes

ummm. sorry @Nicotine_River , I’m afraid I have a bigger question.

I just looked at the picture on your website, and saw that it says “PG based” on the bottle. What gives? Pure MF are definitely not PG-based. indeed some of us started up with MF on account of PG-allergy , so this question really matters.

I suspect that’s just a labelling error? but I don’t want to just assume as much.

6 Likes