Mining online e-liquid reviews for opinion polarities about e-liquid features

Background

In recent years, the emerging electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) marketplace has developed prosperously all over the world. By analyzing online e-liquid reviews, we seek to identify the features attracting users.

Methods

We collected e-liquid reviews from one of the largest online e-liquid review websites and extracted the e-liquid features by keywords. Then we used sentiment analysis to classify the features into two polarities: positive and negative. The positive sentiment ratio of a feature reflects the e-cigarette users’ preference on this feature.

Results

The popularity and preference of e-liquid features are not correlated. Nuts and cream are the favorite flavor categories, while fruit and cream are the most popular categories. The top mixed flavors are preferable to single flavors. Fruit and cream categories are most frequently mixed with other flavors. E-cigarette users are satisfied with cloud production, but not satisfied with the ingredients and throat hit.

Conclusions

We identified the flavors that e-cigarette users were satisfied with, and we found the users liked e-cigarette cloud production. Therefore, flavors and cloud production are potential factors attracting new users.

6 Likes

Their conclusions sure are “rock solid”! :roll_eyes:
Potentially. lol

4 Likes

sentiment analysis to classify the featuresnuts and creamcloud productionsatisfied:yum:

2 Likes

Well whudda ya know. Isn’t science amazing? :sunglasses:

6 Likes

8 Likes

I wonder how much they got paid for that.

‘VG increases the flavor’ ???

:dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Yes!! It’s amazing!

5 Likes

Every mixer, ever.

5 Likes

Interesting. Wrong, but interesting. Wonder who they’re going to present this to? Hmmm, let me guess.

5 Likes

What exactly, is amazing?

Please, explain it to me.

4 Likes

The world is awash with pseudo-science

7 Likes

And the purpose of their research?..heck they could have just asked us?

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer how did I miss this thread? I’ve been reading some of their data on ecigs. Did you see the E-liquid Flavor Wheel?

Proposed flavor wheel for classification of e-liquid flavors. The inner layer of the flavor wheel includes 13 main categories that were based on literature (first column, Table 1). The outer layer of the flavor wheel includes 90 subcategories that were extracted from the articles reviewed (third column, Table 1).

4 Likes

This is exactly how I picture you preparing your SFT notes for us :rofl:

5 Likes