Minnesota Changes Laws

As some of you may be aware, Minnesota changed the legal smoking age to 21. Recently, I ordered nicotine and Minnesota now charges a $5 tax on vape products bought online. I know this because, looking at my invoice ,it’s specifically said state tax. I now have to be at my door to sign or verify that I am 21 years old. I just want to let you guys know what is going on in my neck of the woods. I noticed that the scare campaign against vaping is steadily getting worse in Minnesota. It saddens me and disgusts me at the same time.

15 Likes

Another way to get their dirty paws on our money

10 Likes

This is the complete update Excise tax rates state by state for “Non-cigarette” tobacco products.

Nuff said…

4 Likes

Yeah, our governor is really being a dink, about a lot of other things as well! it just reminded me that I may have to stock up on things. I kind of thought it was all bs, vape Armageddon has been a vague threat for years.

7 Likes

I’m surprised!! Oklahoma does not (knock on wood) have a tax on e-cig stuff!!

5 Likes

We didn’t either. It was so weird seeing it! But there is no consistency in any part of Minnesota right now… Seems like they’re fighting for the wrong things!

6 Likes

@Laura5 Sure you know this, but best to stock up on anything you need Today, you’ve only got a week till the PMTA deadline.

7 Likes

Actually, I did not. I stepped away almost completely from The vape world besides making recipes. Thank you for the heads up, would you mind explaining it? Or linking a thread so I can read?

8 Likes

I apologize @Laura5 , I was called into work so I couldn’t respond to your last post. Hopefully other folks will know of better links to your question, here is a general one explaining the Sept 9th date
https://vaping360.com/vape-news/89763/its-official-pmta-submission-deadline-will-move-to-sept-9th/

Basically any vape device, component, e liquid, etc…that was produced after Aug 2016 is technically illegal to sell in the US…only because the FDA has said so with their deeming regulations. Manufacturers must submit a pmta application for every device, etc (and the pmta application process is so complex it is similar to what drug companies must wade through before they can be put on the market…environmental studies, chemical analysis, many many studies. Estimates range at the cost of these studies to start at $500, 000 and upward)
I’m not explaining this very well, but the gist is that most online sellers can’t afford the pmta process and will end up closing. We are already seeing companies running out of stock, and panic buying. I would suggest that if you’ve been wanting that special atty or mod, better get it now. I myself have noticed some smaller online sites have disappeared. Most of us here have also been stocking up on liquid nicotine, for we don’t see availability of that lasting much longer, and don’t forget about panic buying. Look what happened to toilet paper. I’m seeing daily posts on reddit from people just discovering about the pmta deadline and freaking out, they never learned anything from their local B&M and now they can’t find their sub-ohm coils anywhere online and don’t understand whats going on.
I’d suggest searching for videos on youtube about pmta, or perhaps someone else here knows of a few good links.

8 Likes

This video seems to have a good explaination

3 Likes

Wow! This is insane! I will check the video and link out! you gave me a very comprehensive synopsis of the the issue! Thank you very much!

4 Likes

Vaping legislation in a nutshell.

5 Likes

@Laura5 , now that I’ve had some sleep after working too many hours, I should correct what I wrote. The burden for submitting PMTA is on the manufacturer of vape equipment and juice. But the selling of such is also technically illegal if the PMTA isn’t filed. The FDA will accept the application and then it goes under review…with no guarantee that it will pass muster. And if FDA decides you haven’t provided enough data from your myriad of paid for studies it’s thumbs down and the million or so your company spent is for nothing. Is a smaller juice company going to be able to risk it? You probably will be able to find juice and equipment to buy online after Sept. 9th, but for how long, no one knows. And again, there is the stock up frenzy going on from Vapers in the States. I wanted to pick up a spare Elder dragon rda a few weeks back. They were plentiful 6, 8 months ago. Now, can’t find one anywhere, not even from Chinese vendors, sold out online everywhere. So get what you want now. Most of us have been quietly stocking up for some time now. Let us know how it goes with you.

4 Likes

Man, that is disheartening. But, i fully understand now and really appreciate the information. Hope its not too late for our household! Oofda!

3 Likes

Oofda is right! lol, I haven’t heard that word in a few years, and my people were Swedes!

2 Likes

https://www.wotofo.com/products/wotofo-elder-dragon-rda

2 Likes

Sweet!! Thanks @JiM210 guess I missed that one! Appreciate it.

3 Likes

I feel like it’s part of my everyday vocabulary. Grew up in the Midwest. :joy:

1 Like

I feel ur pain ! NY recently totally outlawed juice, and now my kid in Washington State has to order it and ship it. Its feeling kinda fascistic around here !

2 Likes