Mixing single flavors

When mixing single flavor recipes to try out how many is a good number? Or perhapss just creams or just strawberries? Basically I want to be able to try the flavors on their own but I don’t want to have to mix a bottle for every flavor I have, that would just be too much. So basically I’m asking for recommendations as to how to test out some of the flavors by themselves without having to have a bottle for every flavor I buy.

3 Likes

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/search?q=single%20flavors

2 Likes

@Toast

I had a bunch of Smart and Final 1 ounce Souffle cups and lids left from another project I’m using as testers. Let me make up a mess of tiny single flavors and not spend bank on bottles.
5 grams of VG, 5 drops of distilled water or PG and 5 drops of flavor stir and steep. I’ve got one for each flavor done up. As they age I can take a few drops out in an eyedropper and drip in my RDA and see how it’s progressing. About 100 of them so far and at the end of 30 days I’ll have a much better idea of what flavors do what, who fades and who stays strong to the finish. I’ve already found some duds and some winners and I’m only at 2 weeks on the latest and a month on the oldest. As I get new flavors this is the first thing I do is make the sampler and get it steeping.

12 Likes

Ingenious! This would be so much easier and remove the drudgery of bottling and cleaning! What a time saver :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing!!

3 Likes

I purchase 10 LPDE plastic dripper bottles for around $5.00 when I first started DIY. I use them for single and up to 3 flavor mixes.
re: http://esmokeclub.com/Bottle-3ml-Plastic-LDPE-715400.htm
These bottles are used in every mix session I have ever had.

1 Like

i like this bob , how do you figure out the percent after or do you just use this as a guage to know what they will taste like and those that dont work out you dont do any further test ???brilliant though i like this idea

1 Like

honestly i feel you should get to know each and every flavor you have but there are different methods to get a clue like the water test , of you could do what @Bob_Bitchen has done but knowing the SF taste will help its a pain in the ass and time consuming its also rewarding to know that this bavarian cream will work better than that bavarian cream bc they are all different sorry i couldnt help much :frowning:

1 Like

@fidalgo_vapes
I did a 20-1 water test on most as my initial test. Now I’ve moved to the VG test phase.
It’s just a basic gauge on what each flavor is and how it acts on it’s own. I run the same 3% test for everything until I run up against a really strong flavor like Pickle (OOO) now that one will really need some thinning down as even a single drop in 15ml stomped on the other flavors. I knew it and the Onion (OOO) were both off the scale strong but I still misjudged it on the two of them on my first multi flavor attempts.
It lets me setup the three Bavarian Creams I’ve got side by side and it sure makes the chemical after taste of the LorAnn version most apparent when you can test taste like this.
I picked up a pack of small drink straws I cut in half to use as tasters so I can toss the stick after as I find just tasting the juice to be an adequate test for judging flavor. Get a drop or two on your tongue, mash it against the roof of your mouth and breath in and out over it… I find It should be a little to sweet to the tongue for it to taste right in my RDA.
Just my new bee 2 bits. Your mileage may vary. Not all options are available on all models. :slight_smile:
Please kick out your own test methods as this is just what’s I’ve gleaned off ELR and my own twisted half baked ideas.

3 Likes

The water test is a good ‘quickie’, but I still make a 20ml tester for each new flavor I get.

Unless labeled otherwise, all are 30PG/70VG, and nic strength is in it, these days either 4mg or 5mg.

I keep a few jars of ‘base’ in the refrigerator just for this purpose, then let it room acclimate, re-stir it,
then add my flavoring to a 20ml batch and stir/blend it on the mag-mixer.

All testers become ‘married’ in each bottle [bottles are cheap], and I can test each flavor at aged levels.
Yep, I have hundreds of bottles stored, some a couple years old, and no I haven’t had any go rancid if
stored properly. Each mix date is logged on spreadsheets, stored together, and edited as needed.

It’s the best way I know to truly test.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing I will try this out :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes