Mixing two separate DIY recipes dilution percentages?

Hello, I am new to DIY but have made a few popular recipes from here. One I made was a little too sweet for my tastes.

1. Rocket Puppy RY4 - 50/50 PG/VG and 10% Nicotine.

I also had some SOHO that I was testing as a solo. This was simply SOHO @10%, 50/50 PG VG and 10% nicotine also just to sample the single flavor. It seemed to have a slight bitter note at the end.

I decided to dilute the Rocket Puppy with the SOHO mix I made at a 1:1 Ratio.
It did exactly what I wanted and mellowed out the sweetness and it tasted great.

So, now my question is, does anyone know how I would develop a recipe for this with the correct percentages in a single recipe without making two different recipes and mixing them 1:1?

4 Likes

If I understand the query correctly, you should reduce all percentages to 50%. That is, 5% Soho, and each flavor of the other recipe half the original.
If you have, for example, 50ml of Rocket and you add 50ml of 10% Soho, you have 100ml, and of course Soho is 5%. The other way around, with Rocket, it’s the same.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Gus6, Thanks for the response. Would the nicotine need to be reduced also. I was thinking that the flavor profile would be different from the nicotine since each batch was 10% diluted and then combined the dilution would stay the same?

4 Likes

There it is, just correct the nicotine you use …

2 Likes

The two mixtures are 10% nicotine, so the result is also 10% …

4 Likes

And welcome to the forum…

4 Likes

I use @CosmicTruth’s flavor adjustment calculator;

You can also find a link on the Resources Page :ok_hand:

Oh yeah, and Welcome to ELR @Blarneystone :call_me_hand:

7 Likes

Gus6 and Rocky02852, thank you for the welcome and assistance. This is a great place to learn and everyone seems helpful.
Rocky02852, thanks for the calculator. I will give that a try also. May have some future projects that are not a simple as this one turned out to be.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You’ve gotten some fine advice. I’m also a relative newbie and learning more from the folks here every day. I’m even encouraged to expand my flavor stash palette. Keep having fun…keep learning and keep sharing.

7 Likes

Cary, thanks for the encouragement!
I quit smoking and started vaping several years ago like many other people. When I first started vaping there was a shop that sold me some tobacco juices and I never looked back.
My main juice was from Indigo Vapor called Eastwood, however, due to the new regulations they had to close their doors. It was a sad day. That sent me on the search for any recipes that people may have cloned. I found one for a flavor they called “The Duke” its still steeping, but it has a nice similar smell too it. In the meantime I’ve also stocked up on a lot of essential flavors for some intriguing recipes I have found on here. Mainly tobaccos, but I am also broadening my horizons when it comes to different profiles like some fruits and bakery stuff.
I hope to get better at this mixing thing and one day be able to share something that someone would enjoy.

7 Likes

@Rocky02852 has been a great help for me when it comes to having what i call baby vapers questions and have found that the community here are awesome help with my silly little questions
and yes welcome to the diy vape world

7 Likes

I feel your pain about the vape shop closing. My favorite one here in Denver CO closed last year. Over the years they went from a small shop with good gear and fair pricing to a larger shop, still with good gear and fair pricing. In the early days, you could sample flavors. It broke my heart (and a few of my friends’ hearts) that they closed. They announced their planned closing a few months in advance to give people the chance to stock up.
Hope we both have fun with DIY and enjoy expanding our flavor palettes. I’m waiting on a shipment of some fruit, melon and cream flavors. Getting excited about the experimentation.

6 Likes

Dixie1, like you, I have found this community to be friendly and helpful. Though I have been vaping for 7+ years and tobacco free, I just started DIY’ing in late December out of fear of the upcoming “vapocolypse”. Now the city of Denver is going to vote on banning all vape flavors other than tobacco. And though I am a menthol-tobacco vaper for my all day vape, MENTHOL will be banned. Makes me sad. If they try hard enough, they will be successful at helping people return to smoking because someone can always walk down to their 7-11 and buy a pack of smokes.

5 Likes

Dixie1, I am feeing like I am crawling along at the moment, but the members here are very helpful. Can’t wait to explore some more advanced recipes and maybe get bold and create something from scratch.
I am in the process of testing individual flavors and making notes on how those taste to me and how I might use them in mixes. Plenty of helpful resources here as well as some I have found on youtube.
Have fun!

7 Likes

Blarneystone, it sounds like you are doing fine and on the right path. Like you, I tested single tobacco flavors and was able to find a few that worked for me, and just as important a few that just didn’t do it for me (tasted awful). The fun for me has been mixing and matching tobacco flavors. At some point I hope to have a few menthol tobacco recipes worthy of sharing with our community.

4 Likes

Don’t fret it’s easy to make a 10% dilution and make your own as long as you have a scale and pg.

5 Likes

In reading your post, it sounds exactly as something I could have written. Just like you, Eastwood had been my go-to since 2017 and finally got me off the smokes. When I went to re-up my 3 month supply back in January, I couldn’t believe Indigo Vapor had closed down. I wish they would have given us advanced notice - I would have bought gallons of it. I’ve made the “Duke” clone a few times and it’s close to Eastwood. I’m still very new to mixing and haven’t experimented much. I’ve mixed several recipes in the RY4 family, trying to learn the process and flavors. Let me know how the RocketPuppy/Soho mix is working out please. I have Soho (single flavor test) steeping at 8% but haven’t tried RocketPuppy yet. I might experiment with the Duke clone by reducing the AP by 0.5% and replacing it with a vanilla flavor (likely INW Shisha Vanilla) at the same percentage.

4 Likes

Hi @clsms Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

2 Likes

Hi @clsms, welcome to the forum. I agree that the Duke recipe has some similarities to Eastwood. Not sure if its just the AP, or maybe a little of the the Tobacco Symphony also that is similar in Eastwood.
I am new to all this also and I am back to some single flavor testing.
I like SOHO a lot and it could be something to work with on many RY / tobacco type recipes. I went up as high as 15% on SOHO as a single flavor. It is quite good. It is more mild to me than others like RY4 Double.
I scrapped the Rocket Puppy experiment. It was decent off the shake but something changed during a 3 week steep and it got a nasty bitter note to it. Could just be my taste buds.
Anyway, I did track down Tony at Indigo. He shared the recipe with a retailer of his stuff and may be able to help point you in the right direction for authentic products :slight_smile: - sales@indigovapor.com
Just let him know you were a previous customer.

5 Likes