Mod Pattern Baldness - Topside Dual

So, my green TD has been spotless now after heavy daily use for a year. But, yesterday I noticed my wife’s purple TD (same use, same age) is showing a lot of silver through the purple when I saw it in strong light. It’s not scratched or gouged. It still looks purple in normal light, but it’s obvious that a lot of the powder coat has rubbed off, and eventually the purple will give way to the base.

Has anyone seen this with their purple one, or a different color one? I don’t know if her rings are wearing on it or if she holds it tightly and lovingly, or if the finish on hers particularly wasn’t as strong as it was meant to be. Any thoughts?

4 Likes

I have 4 Topside singles. The blue one the paint started coming off quickly, both fading and just coming off. I ended up putting a wrap on it. The red and black ones have a few spots here and there but still look good.

4 Likes

I got myself a wrap from zap wraps UK. It’s a textured croc skin, feels great protects the mod and looks cool.
It’s a bad photo but if you zoom in you can see the croc skin

4 Likes

Slightly better photo

7 Likes

Boy. Talk about misleading the public! lol

I saw “Mod Pattern Baldness” and was expecting something to do with nonsense causing our mods to pull their hair out. :laughing:

Color me relieved, though slightly disappointed.
(They could use all the support they deserve!)
Anyways…

As for the Topside, I only have the singles.
I haven’t used the blue one at all yet (it’s in reserve, just in case the black one ever dies). But my main TS hasn’t had any issues with paint yet, and it’s been in the daily rotation for quite a while now.

Sorry to hear about the purple.

@JAWS1 loving the second pic of the croc skin!!

7 Likes

I got some wraps from them as well. They’re well done and the price is right. That one is nicer looking than I thought it would be. I might have to pick one up.

4 Likes

I’m curious about wraps. I’ve always opted for skins because they fit on well and easily. I put a wrap on one of the kids’ PS4 controllers and it never quite laid right. I’m sure I was much to blame for that, but its put me off trying to wrap a mod. How simply did it go on?

3 Likes

J-Wraps will do custom wraps at a fair price and top quality work! I highly recommend them! Simple to apply

5 Likes

The wrap I used is qood quality and is still in perfect condition after 6 months. That being said, I’m not the best at doing things like that. There’s a couple of thin lines where I just couldn’t get the sides to meet. Next time, I’ll let my wife do it and she’ll get it done perfectly.

3 Likes

I just watched a youtube tutorial on it. Wasn’t that hard, the trick is to take your time and get the start of it really accurate then the rest just wraps on pretty easily. The tolerances for the TS are so good on the wrap I used it was pretty hard to get it wrong.

4 Likes

Now I can’t decide which one to get. Dang.

4 Likes