More Infor on Pact Act

I got this email from myfreedomsmokes.com and as we have been finding out the Pact Act doesn’t or does I don’t know anymore but apparently we will have to sign for vape products and a fee will more than likely be involved with most companies. Anywho, here it is.

WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical. 

Important Notification!

Due to the recent addition of vapor products to the Pact Act, you may notice some changes on your future orders as follows
• All Shipments will require Adult Signature by someone 21 years old or older along with valid ID for delivery.
• An Adult Signature/ID Fee of $7.00 will be added to all orders
• Applicable Excise and Sales Taxes will be charged for orders being delivered to states in which they apply
• Orders are limited to a maximum weight of 10lbs. Orders weighing more than 10lbs will have to be split into separate orders before you are allowed to checkout

The PACT Act / Jenkins Act and Tax Compliance Info
The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act was a 2009 amendment to the 1949 Jenkins Act, and was passed primarily to combat online sales of untaxed cigarettes. The law prohibits U.S. Mail delivery of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, and requires online sellers to register with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), U.S. Attorney General, as well as the tax administrators of each state.
The PACT Act mandates collection of state and local taxes by online sellers, creates standards for private carriers delivering cigarettes and smokeless tobacco to residential and business customers, and imposes strict rules regarding tax collection, payment and reporting to states and the federal government.
The Preventing Online Sales of E-Cigarettes to Children Act that became law in December of 2020 amends the PACT Act to include vaping products along with cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. While the original law’s goal was to police tax compliance, the inclusion of vaping products is supposedly intended primarily to prevent online sales to minors.
Online retailers will be required to:
• Verify age of customers using a commercially available database
• Use private shipping services that collect an adult signature at the point of delivery
• Register with the ATF and the U.S. Attorney General
• Register with state and local tax administrators in all states and localities where business is done
• Collect and pay all applicable local and state taxes, and affix any required tax stamps to the products sold
• Each month, a list of all transactions must be sent to each state’s tax administrator that includes the names and addresses of each customer sold to, the quantities and type of each product sold, and the name, address, and phone number of the person delivering the shipment to the recipient

14 Likes

Thank you for putting that up Dan

6 Likes

Dan, thanks for posting this. I just opened my email and got the same notice. Bummer about the adult signature, but it is what it is. At least they can still ship to consumers and I am more than okay with them collecting the sales tax.

3 Likes

Is this actually part of the Pact Act or is it just MFS adding that in?

3 Likes

How I read the Act is a Adult 21 yo must sign with ID. The $7.00 is fee the shipper is charging to recover the cost of time to get that signed proof of delivery.

6 Likes

Most Vendors are adding a 5 dollar and up charge bc the have to pay extra to get a signature…Also ive noticed companies adding 25$ to their Free Shipping rate

5 Likes

Man, it takes a driver maybe a whole 3 mins to get a John Hancock. Bastards!

3 Likes

and get onion on your pizza, $2, for about $0.10 of onion.

3 Likes

#1 Driver has to stop,ring a door bell, wait for someone to answer the door, if home customer has to find ID to be identified, if not home driver writes an attempted delivery notification leaves. Company makes an second delivery attempt. Has to write second attempted delivery telling customer the package can be picked up at the hub… Total wasted time fifteenth twenty minutes with no delivery. Not to mention loading and unloading the package on the truck twice. In that 20 minutes driver could’ve made 6/7 deliveries of sweaters from Walmart.
To the company $7.00 is a bargain. I know I’m not wasting half a day waiting for a $30 order when I could be making $100-$150 in that half day time.
It’s a big PITA for everyone.

5 Likes

I am a little confused on this whole PACT act thing.
“Vape Product” is pretty broad category, but because many products are used for different reasons, then wouldn’t they be exempt from the ban?
For example, individual Flavorings are used in the food industry as well as PG and VG are generic enough to not be included in the ban. Likewise, tanks and mods are used in the “cannabis” industry and that is not regulated as of yet.
So, the best I can come up with is anything that contains Nicotine is banned, which would be commercial mixes with nicotine, but I don’t know about commercial mixes without any nicotine?
One thing for sure is where there is a will there is a way to minimize the impact of this.

5 Likes

Ok, I won’t argue with logic. :nerd_face:
Well said.

5 Likes

Exempt: if vape is not used in the verbage in the discription

.Non Exempt: Liquid Nicotine is a smoking product controlled by the FDA.

Exempt: As long as vape verbage is not used in the discription ( IE: One shots).

4 Likes

rcleven,
Thanks for the clarifications. Glad I stocked up on nicotine before the shipping ban.
Keeping that in the freezer, in brown glass120ml bottles, topped off with argon.
Should be good for a year or so.

4 Likes

I’ve just ordered another 2x 500mL bottles of 100mg base.

Four months to go still, for us :smirk:

3 Likes

Nude nicotine is under the assumption they can still ship as long as the word vape isn’t in the order.
I received a email from them that today was the last day they were shipping UPS. They are now shipping all orders USPS.

3 Likes

Probably just an ‘off-the-cuff’ rate based on the USPS fee for Adult Signature Restricted Delivery - $7.15… I don’t see anything in the old or amended PACT Act that specifically mandates fee amounts; the only mention in the Act is those fees/taxes that already apply to ‘tobacco products’.

2 Likes

Regulations here in New Zealand require all online vape purchases to be signed for (18 +) . Our courier companies have not charged extra for this service. Shipping is overnight and rates are $3.50-$4.50 NZD usually with free shipping over $50.00 (there are several companies that offer free shipping on all orders, but of course their retail prices tend to be higher).

5 Likes

Wonder what the new ATF directors’ stance on tobacco is? We know he is a gun owner but is supposed to reign in gun control? I wonder if he drinks and vapes, too :rofl:

1 Like

his stance is whatever he is told it is.

2 Likes

Could be but this admin seems to be open to listening to ideas and suggestions.That’s the persona given, anyway.

2 Likes