MSG Discussion

I love the health field and especially food science but it is so murky and like raven
said as well is EXTREMELY complex
and not fully understood by anyone.
it’s hard to find the right answers.
All food is created into waste byproducts that are harmful
even “good” food is bad for us
some are just less harmful or have what what need.
This is why something like 80% of our immune system is in our GI tract.
Another reason why fibre is so important for good health even though it isn’t a vitamin
it collects and pushes these contaminants out.
I love learning about this stuff so feel free to post anything that seems important
and I will likely look into for my own benefit.
Like the iron thing @Raven-Knightly I would actually like to know more about it.
I would also like to know how many vitamin supplements you take
@Freddie3

2 Likes

Ill also add a little fun fact about oxolates since raven brought it up and I also used to do this myself. You should not drink tea right after eating something like berries
apparently this can create high levels of oxolate from a chemical reaction/binding in digestion, more than from the tea itself. It has been a while since I found the reference source for this but if memory serves it creates iron oxolate

2 Likes

Sounds like an irresolvable dictum from “Good King Bad” … :nerd_face: … It is true that we highly depend on liver, kidney, and lymphatic system functionality for our every breath. These things tend to fail us over time/tides.

Googling: “heme Iron” “cardiovascular” brings up seven relevant studies on the first results page. A 2015 meta-study (quoted below) lists the following CV risk factors (per mg of heme-Iron consumption per day):

Heme iron intake was associated significantly with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, and the pooled relative risk (RR) for each 1 mg/day increment was 1.07 (95% confidence interval: 1.01 to 1.14, I² = 59.7%). … Subgroup analyses revealed that the association between heme iron intake and CVD risk was stronger among non-fatal cases (1.19, 1.07-1.33) and American patients (1.31, 1.11-1.56).

Note that the risk ratios reported increase (geometrically, rather than additive) with each additional milliGram

This particular listing identifies teas as having Moderate (10-25 mg per serving) amounts of Oxalate. Ditto for Blackberries, Blueberries, and Strawberries. I can see the “additive” angle of your statement - but any particular “synergy” otherwise appears unclear. Those desiring to limit daily Oxalate intake (often with the goal of decreasing the likelihood of developing Calcium-Oxalate kidney stones) often attempt to limit Oxalate intake to levels as low as 50 mg/day. Interestingly, a protective factor may well not exist so much in limiting Oxalate intake (per se) as it is in ensuring a daily Calcium intake (most effective if ingested together with Oxalate, as some of the protective activity occurs in the stomach and perhaps duodenum) of up to 1200 mg per day. One interesting study reported an ~ linear protective relationship between 200 mg and 1200 mg daily Calcium intake (effect recedes above 1200 mg per day). Calcium from food is highly recommended.

3 Likes

your right.
I can’t find the relationship between these 2 myself.
I will refrain from making other statements without verifiable evidence the last thing we need here is more junk science.
If only pharma would follow the same the protocol they don’t need to prove benefits or especially the harm the can be caused from the supplements they market.

3 Likes

OMG LOL Not yet … Ive been neglecting my flavor inventory for these other things lately. It’s more expensive unfortunately :pensive:

You should check out boron supplements. They are saying it helps with kidney stones and helps calcium retention. (Plus a host of other benifits) I use it mostly to prevent and reduce the possible future incidents of arthritis, which if youre in the USA and aging… with the levels we get you just can’t avoid getting some from arthritis the more you age. But Boron seems to be a researched HUGH benefit, another winner for me. But yea no medical advise. Always check with your doctor first. :nerd_face:

(Rumor has it it is a good detox for Fluoride detox, not sure if it really works for that. But many are concerned about the added Fluoride to our drinking water. )

1 Like

You have a … doctor ?

“HUGH” - You mean, as in Trump-speak ? … Perhaps this is the answer to the mystical “Covfefe Riddle” ?

I imagine you snacking on Avocado and Kidney Beans sprinkled with Lentils, and washing it all down with Prune Wine (highest per-serving Boron levels listed here) all the live long day. Righteous Organoborons !

A diverse, plant-food-rich diet is estimated to provide approximately 1.5 to 3 mg/d of boron. Foods of plant origin, especially fruits, leafy vegetables, nuts, and legumes, are rich in boron as are plant-derived fermented beverages (ie, wine, cider, and beer). Meat, fish, and dairy products, however, are poor sources. Peanuts and peanut butter, other nuts, raisins, wine, and avocado are also top contributors to boron intake. Although coffee and milk are low in boron, they provide 12% of the total boron intake in the United States due to the volume consumed and to the fact that the standard American diet contains so few servings of fruits, vegetables, and legumes. No recommended levels have been set for boron, only an upper intake level (UL) of 20 mg/d.

Given that:

The TV series Death Valley Days was hosted at one point by “Borateem-pitchman” and future president Ronald ReaganOne of Ronald Reagan’s final television roles was host of “Death Valley Days” in 1964-65. Reagan also acted in some episodes. The show was sponsored primarily by Pacific Coast Borax Company, which later became U.S. Borax.

… and that Ronnie Raygun was a know chronic, habitual user of, and advocate for, Bee Pollen, … I’m in !

Stronger bones, persistent boners, who could ask for more ? Yes, Virginia, it’s morning in America ! … :star_struck:

"Frilly Dancing Elfin Gumdrops Magnum (Boron) Enchantment Juice”. Has a catchy ring to it ! Combine that with Buckminsterfullerine Chelation Therapee (“Bodacious Bucky Balls”) and Free Range Beef Shank Baths luxuriously macerating one’s pores in the most ancient molecule in the Universe, Helium hydride, thought to have played a starring molecular role in the early Universe. You just can’t get any more “ancient” than that !

Boron is rare in the Universe and solar system due to trace formation in the Big Bang and in stars. It is formed in minor amounts in cosmic ray spallation nucleosynthesis and may be found uncombined in cosmic dust and meteoroid materials. … In the high oxygen environment of Earth, boron is always found fully oxidized to borat. Boron does not appear on Earth in elemental form.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron#Occurrence

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

LMAO… I seen some of those Borax hacks on YT. No way would I shop for a supplement in the laundry asile of my supermarket, and concoct a solution and feel safe using it… I use the real deal. The 20 Mule team is strictly for laundry. Danger…No internal use for me. :-1:

Yea real deal…2 x 3mg perday supplement. So with the added food I eat, maybe would be be around. 7-8 mg total. :wink:

1 Like

Even if cleverly branded “Death Valley Sunset Insecticide/Herbicide” ? Right up my asile !

How’s the “bio-availability” ? Perhaps better ingested on an empty stomach with some of that tasty NAC ?

Looks like excretion is largely renal (via the kidneys), and Boron (may) be contraindicated in persons with compromised or chronically failing renal function. That’s actually a lot of people in the general population - with incidences increasing prominently with age after 50, and/or cardio hypertension, diabetes, some liver diseases. A (pay-walled) paper hypothesizes Boron causality of Chronic Kidney Disease. Renal red flags ?

This 2018 paper describes a recent study in which Boron was (not) groovy in rodents:

Boron plays roles in the metabolism of calcium, vitamin D, steroid hormones, healthy bone development, and maintenance of cell membranes. The biological effects of boron are dose-dependent but follow a U-shaped pattern, rendering it important to define the active range. … Boron plays roles in calcium and magnesium homeostasis and vitamin D metabolism. Renal epithelial damage promotes renal stone formation. Boron may prevent stone formation in part by exerting an antioxidant effect that reduces oxidative stress, maintaining the renal epithelium in a healthy state. Such effects of Boron have been demonstrated in a number of studies. … we evaluated the effects of Boron on rat nephrolithiasis using different doses of boric acid (25/50/100 mg/kg/day boric acid equivalent to 4/8/16 mg Boron). We found no significant differences in terms of stone development, or tissue oxalate or calcium levels, between positive controls and groups treated with Boron. … contrary to previous studies, Boron did not prevent stone formation. … high doses of Boron do not exert an anti-urolithiatic effect in a rat model of EG-induced nephrolithiasis. … Boron has no effect on oxidative stress or vitamin D synthesis in this model.

Found quite a Royal Boral Screed (“The Borax Conspiracy - How the Arthritis Cure has been Stopped”).

1 Like

Seen resveratrol and others mentioned here you guys like might enjoy this vid
@Freddie3 @Raven-Knightly

3 Likes

MSG is claimed to cause asthma, brain damage and headache but FDA is approving it because human studies do not approve this. It is just that if someone is using it in more quantities then it can cause problems. Smoking vitamins give health benefits, as it includes the vitamin B12 in liquid form.

1 Like

B12, in the form of a supplement, has shown mixed results and in males has shown an increased risk of cancer if inhaled. Vaporising vitamins is not something that is recommended or approved and certain compounds, like beta carotene, should be avoided in supplement form for ex-smokers.

1 Like

I understand your point but take a look at this - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2141.1967.tb08696.x. The site selling Vitamin B12 vape also has a science page that convinced me first - Find Out The Science Of Vitamin Inhalation – Inhale Vitamins

1 Like

Did you even bother to check the date of publication of this article or the one that’s on the company’s ‘science page’?

Or read the method to see the delivery method used?

I’ll add it here as most don’t have free access to academic portals:

So, out of date and nothing to do with vaping.

2 Likes