MTL Nicotine

I would like to find out if I can use regular nicotine in my MTL recipe.

I know I should use either nic salts or freebase, but I want to use freebase but its not always available in my country.

So is it possible to use regular and how would that affect the strength?

5 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but I thought regular was freebase.

4 Likes

Its possible I’m also unsure, here’s an example from a retailer :

Spyder Premium V2 FREEBASE 100mg PG - Freebase
Spyder Premium Nic 100mg 50ml SALTS - Nic Salts
Scrawny Gecko Nicotine VG 36mg - (What I would consider as “normal nic”)

3 Likes

Freebase nicotine have a stronger / harsher throat hit compared to most salt (there are salt that was built / made harsher)

3 Likes

Before we can recommend any nicotine we need to know at what level of nicotine you you plan to vape at and the kind of equipment you will be vaping on.

If you are a new vaper ( just quit smoking) Salts may be the best choice because you can mix at higher amount’s.

Freebase nicotine is recommended at 18mg/ml or less in a mix without being harsh in a mix.

5 Likes

I’m not new to vaping but am new to mixing mtl juice, so I’m currently on 12mg mtl.

3 Likes

MTL or DTL really shouldn’t matter. No difference in mixing. What does matter is the delivery method. For example a low wattage pod (9 watts or less) you will need a higher nicotine content than a 100 watt RTA/RDA or a AIO.
For your purpose tho a fresh freebase should be fine.

4 Likes

Freebase nic was around long before nic salts were a thing. But as @rcleven said, in terms of mixing it up it shouldn’t matter.

6 Likes

Thats makes sense, just a last question, what is the difference between freebase and what I would consider a “normal nicotine” eg:
Scrawny Gecko Nicotine VG 36mg

2 Likes

Call me crazy but freebase would be normal nicotine to me. Salts are normal nicotine with the addition of an acid to change the PH. Since I don’t know the lab your ordering from to read the description of Scrawney Gecko I have no idea. I do know different acids affect the smoothness of the salts. My guess would be they are marketing a smoother or more harsh salt for throat hit.

4 Likes

@Hein2 welcome to ELR. YES, you can use both Freebase (Regular) and/or Salts in your MTL recipes. I personally use higher Freebase in my MTL recipes.

7 Likes

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone, I’ll give it a shot with “normal nic”

Its just weird that the retailers advertise nic and also freebase.

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.
Could start with low nic and add later.

4 Likes