Music Theory

Absolutely! Anything with Joe is great. IMO he was the perfect compliment to Don Felder. Their duet on Hotel California (live concert) is ‘call and response’ genius. Shame about Felder leaving tho. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

It’s from a play wifey and I saw called The Vagina Monologues. One scene of the play had different actresses attempting to put the sensations of an orgasm into words. I don’t know why but Tortured Zen just stuck in my head. So my screen name is basically an orgasm! True story. :yum:

2 Likes

Locrian has a minor 7. The chord mostly associated with it is the minor 7flat 5 chord. I agree with you on the Aeolian, it does sound more soulful, and it’s the scale I would have most associated with Santana, but someone had already mentioned him and the Dorian mode, so I just stuck with it. Aeolian is the natural minor scale. I think of all modes from the root because, as you say, you get to hear the intervals more clearly. “Bland” is not a word I would choose for the Dorian mode, but I see where you’re coming from. It’s essential in jazz, (and it’s used extensively in funk and fusion) and I find it an exciting scale. Each to their own I guess. They all have their uses.

2 Likes

Steve, thanks for catching my naming error ! C Major scale is Ionian (as opposed to Locrian). Right.

Note: I have edited all of my (erroneous) references in posts to C Major scale as “Locrian” (to “Ionian”).

Well, “neutral” might be a better term than the (“emotionally” non-neutral) term “bland”. What I found was that I tended to want to use the Min 6 (of Aolean), and sometimes also the Min 2 (of Phrygian).

1 Like

I remember that play coming out. Although we’ve never met, and please forgive me for being presumptuous, but I can’t imagine someone like you going to see that. You must love your wife very much. It’s a great name though, I really do love it. I hope you get on ok with the guitar stuff I posted, and I hope that I haven’t overstepped the mark by “telling you what to do.” Just tell me to go away if I have. I won’t be offended. Peace brother. What was the play like by the way?

2 Likes

Now I understand. Ionian, the major scale, IS, funnily enough, one of the hardest scales to make interesting, and can sound very flat and dull. I usually mix it up with the Lydian mode, (#11) as it’s brighter and adds more colour. George Russell brought a book out years ago called The Lydian Chromatic Concept, where he argues that Lydian, and not Ionian is “home.” You end up playing the same stuff, but the orientation is different. Could go on forever with this stuff. Take care my friend.

3 Likes

The nerd in me cannot resist asking if you can see the 2-dimensional symmetries (in physical movements in 1/2-tones) that can be seen in the (rows shifted by 5th intervals) diagram below:

Root Note

C (Ionian) --------------- 2 2 1 - 2 - 2 2 1

G (Mixolydian) --------- 2 2 1 - 2 - 2 1 2

D (Dorian) -------------- 2 1 2 -[ 2 ]- 2 1 2

A (Aolean) -------------- 2 1 2 - 2 - 1 2 2

E (Phrygian) ------------1 2 2 - 2 - 1 2 2

The “center” of the “structure” is the “A” note (the 5th) existing in the (D) Dorian scale in middle row. The “mystic” in me revels at such (seemingly) non-coincidental structural characteristics. As well, note that each scale-mode differs by only one single change (a “flatting” of one scale-tone when considered in a descending order, and a “sharpening” of one scale-tone when considered in an ascending order). :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah. Most scales are like that though. Eg if you raise the 7th of Aeolian you get Harmonic minor. If you raise the 7th of Dorian you get Melodic minor. This applies to most, if not all of the modes. A lot of “old school” jazz players learned this way, and there’s a lot to be said for it.

2 Likes

The nerd in me cannot resist noting that other (that is, not arranged in rows of 5ths / 4ths shifted scales) arrangements of those particular scale-modes do not share the same “convenient” characteristics.

What means the most (in my mind, striving to think in terms of personally evoked “emotional feels”) is how (at least, in a somewhat simplistic, and admittedly subjective sense) the (for me) “feel” transitions from the “Maj 3” sounds, through the (“neutral”) Dorian central scale-mode, and into the “Min 6, and/or Min 2” sounds. Simplistic, but fun. Trying to equate physical “movements” (in 1/2-tones) with what was (for me) a personal sense of “emotional feel” is what inspired my to formulate the graphical arranged representations - which are also quite readily usable for purposes of effectively harmonizing chords.

Here is a (“chopped in two”, with left-side above, and right-side below) look at a diagrammatic view:

In the above displayed graphic, the “center” row (and 2-D symmetries) exist around the 5th of the C Maj scale (which is a “G” note) - as opposed to the scale-centric form (created in previous post using text characters), where the “center” row (and 2-D symmetries) exist around the 5th of the D Min scale (which is an “A” note). Kind of interesting (to me) that the “2-D center of symmetry” note (referenced relative to C Major, “G” or “A”) differs when one considers “chords” as opposed to considering “scales”.

1 Like

Wow. To be honest with you, I find all of this very academic and intellectual, and difficult to grasp. I mean, if it works for you, then great, but it melts my brain. For me, chords tend to be either Major, Minor or Dominant. That’s it. I generally use Dorian on minor unless the harmony dictates otherwise. Most modal tunes in jazz (So What, Miles Davis is a prime example) are Dorian, but once you start to spread your wings on this tune, other things can come into play. Maj, 6&7, chromaticism etc.

2 Likes

I apologize for the “chopped” graphic above (showing symmetries in physical 1/2-tone movements in harmonizations of chords/scales). Here is a better “view” of the 2-dimensional symmetries involved (showing symmetries in physical 1/2-tone movements) surrounding arranging the modes in ascending 5ths - such that (D) Dorian exists in the central row, and the 5th of that reference-root is an “A” note (around/through which all of the 2-dimensional symmetries are found to exist). Easier to “see” below ?

Each scale differs by only one tone. With the “A” note (5th of D Dorian) utilized as a (reference) center ( at 0 , 0 ) all physical 1/2-tone movements at coordinates X , Y are “mirrored” at coordinates -X , -Y :thinking:

Have decided to refer to my (unique, bold, foxy) musical theory tutelage as the “Monadic Monologues

1 Like

Someone like me? I guess hmm… maybe I should re-evaluate how I present to other people. But regarding the ‘Vaj’ play, believe me I was like a dog being dragged to the veterinarian. Perspectives changed quickly after it began though. The show was actually quite good, much to my relief. Where else can you go on a Sat night and watch women talk about their va jay jay’s!

I’m totally good with everything you all have been sharing. This is a topic that we obviously love talking about, although for the most part, my communication can only be based on a lower academic level. And if I’m honest my eyes tend to glaze over reading @Raven-Knightly’s posts :nerd_face:, but that’s on me. His enthusiasm like yours is quite infectious. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

“Someone like you.” I merely meant an alpha male, to be honest with you, and not a beta,( and before anyone has a go at me, the world needs both, imo.)You come across as a great guy to me, and somebody that I would enjoy having a few beers with. I could of course, be totally wrong. But I just couldn’t imagine a man who has done 3 tours of duty (I bet you have some tales to tell, and have witnessed things most humans probably shouldn’t) and has his colours, going to see a play like that without being under duress. I wouldn’t volunteer. As you say though, it did have its up side. I must admit that the thought of a gang (I know you just went with your wife, but bear with me) of bikers all turning up on their bikes, in their colours, to sit quietly and watch this, would be one hell of a sight. Sometimes, I find that meaning gets lost in text speak, and often the “British” sense of humour doesn’t always translate across the pond. Take care of yourself my friend. Good luck with your guitar playing, and don’t forget to contact me if you need any further help. Peace brother. Oh, and Ravens posts melt my brain too. No offence intended.

2 Likes

Doctor says that there is no known cure for Congenital Nerdism. I just have to live with the condition.

:nerd_face:

1 Like

Again, brain melt for me. I was thinking about this yesterday, and how people often choose completely different paths to reach the same destination. You, it seems to me, like things that are complicated, and I like things that are simple (more of a reflection on me than you), but we are both seeking the same end. I suppose you could relate that to vaping (the main purpose of this site) in that a recipe I love, you might well hate, and vice versa, but we are both seeking a great vape. You are right about being obsessed with intervals though, because at the end of the day, everything that’s ever played, is intervals. Good luck my friend, it’s been a pleasure corresponding with you.

3 Likes

Subjectivity reigns. Thought itself is sympathetic. People seek senses of structure and form. Structure and form is exactly what they receive. What is “simple” (for you, and perhaps some others) is (please understand, to me personally) a remarkably “Byzantine” system of metaphors akin to years of (perhaps) uber-masochistic torture. There is no “one tidy road”. A common desired destination (may, possibly) be inspiration and joy through making noises. The “Calculus of the Musical Soul” remains undocumented.

The Monadic Monologues exist for those who seek structure, form, absolute symmetry, enlightenment.
:joy:

1 Like

Please be assured that it wasn’t a criticism, merely an observation of how humans can use totally different means to reach the same end. Some people these days seem to want everyone to think the same. I enjoy (and often learn) from the difference. Perhaps I should have said that you appear to intellectualise things more than I do. Again, not a criticism, merely an observation.

3 Likes

Lol. Lovely.

2 Likes

I have a rather hard time taking myself very seriously - as it seems that almost nobody else does ! :hot_face:

1 Like

You take care. This has been a most enjoyable discussion. For me anyway.

2 Likes